My Tiger XL AWD build thread

Acheateaux

Adventurer
And I live in Evergeen, but work in Breck, so we should be able to swing an AM session one day Jb1rd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jb1rd

Explorer
Most excellent, now to find the perfect river runner:sombrero: Hoping that this new Fun series from Jackson fits the bill. I loved my older 4 Fun, then I went and switched to an All Star, then a Rock Star, to a LL Biscuit, back to an All Star and have since realized that park and play boats are great for just that and I am not that guy. Big water in those things is a grip and a half, would like to take it down a notch and not fill so puckered in the Chute :Wow1:

benjamin_smith

Front Prop Shaft

We took the Tiger out again last weekend. Did a bit of paddling and boondocked at 10,000 feet on Kenosha Pass. The next day, on the way to do some climbing I noticed quite a bit of drive train noise. Rattling while coasting, and a clacking while going uphill or during hard acceleration.

The noise wasn't something new, but it had gotten much worse. We stopped, and I made my girlfriend drive up a short hill over and over again while I crouched by the side of the road and watched/listened to the drive train. It was definitely coming from the drivers side, and seemed to be behind the front axel.

When we got home, I ordered a new front prop shaft, and drained the transfer case fluid. The fluid that came out looked like gear oil, not automatic tranny fluid that the FSM calls for. But luckily, there wasn't any sign of metal shavings.

Next I took the front prop shaft off. It became apparent pretty quickly that the boots of the shaft were damaged.

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

I put in a new shaft, and filled the transfer case with the correct fluid. Everything seems quiet and smooth now, although I'll have to test it out on the long uphill passes next weekend to find out for sure!

IMG_3206.jpg

benjamin_smith

New Shoes

After a long search, I settled on getting a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...SR5WRATS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes). It turns out it's almost impossible to find load range D tires in 15". I will probably end up lifting the Tiger and putting bigger wheels on it, but not before this winter. I wanted a good set of tires that would handle making ski trips this winter.

The previous owner had a set of Continental Vanco FourSeason 225/70R15 C 112/110 R M&S. I had to go with a 215/75R15, a little narrower but I hear narrower is better :/ The new Goodyears feel pretty good, but I feel like they might have more sway/roll than the Continentals.

IMG_3236.jpgIMG_3237.jpg

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...the previous owner had a set of Continental Vanco FourSeason 225/70R15 C 112/110 R M&S. I had to go with a 215/75R15, a little narrower but I hear narrower is better :/ The new Goodyears feel pretty good, but I feel like they might have more sway/roll than the Continentals.

225/70R15 112/110 R Load Range D ( = 65 psi) Max load: 2470 lbs ~27.4" diameter ~9" sec. width
215/75R15 106/103 S Load Range D ( = 65 psi) Max load: 2095 lbs 27.7" diameter 8.5" sec. width
(I say ~ because these specs match the Service Descriptions, etc but dimensions aren't specifically from Continental so could vary just a tiny bit)

So you lost 15% load capacity, got >.25" taller, ~0.5" narrower, and picked up some squirm? Sounds about right. :coffeedrink:

New shoes look good! Always liked the AT/S's when they were OE on Z71's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven