My trailer idea - does anyone make something similar?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I see a small camping trailer in my future and have been napkin-sketching some ideas. I've come up with a fairly simple live-in style design and I can't seem to find anyone who currently builds something similar. I'm curious if there is a specific reason why this design wouldnt work?

I dont have any digital renderings but the basic design would be a small box, maybe 5 foot by 7 foot footprint, and about 4 feet high. Narrow track width axle with wheelwells mostly built into the box. The roof of the box would hinge open on the 7 foot side, opening 180* and deploying a roof-tent style canvas room. The "flipped over" lid would now become a 5x7 foot sleeping area, and the trailer box would become a living area with 5x7 foot floor space and about 7 feet of headroom. Access could be from the side like a teardrop.

Does this design make sense? Does anyone know of something like this on the market today?

Phoenix

Adventurer
Saw one of those at VOR&W. Evidently while these were being produced by Jeep the MSRP was ridiculous. If you can find a dealer that has one in stock, they may be motivated to sell as dealers were forced to have one and probably just want to get it off inventory.

From what I heard and saw it was a nice off road camper.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Red Barn has a "Pod" they are building...not sure about bulk amounts...they had one at the Vermont Overland Rally..pretty slick.

http://www.redbarnengineering.com/CamPod.html

There has also been some Coleman Colorado redo's on here as well. They can had pretty reasonably.

here's a design I did a few years ago for a 6' x 8' M101A2 type trailer...features a king size bed and cooking, sitting in the tub area...the long upright post are to be hinged and support the open bed area....(if your "handy"):ylsmoke:

Attachments

• nat2.jpg
    nat2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 113
  • nat3.jpg
    nat3.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Nice design, very similar to what I had in mind except I'd reduce by about 1/3rd and hinge the other way. Great concept.

RBE's pod is the closest thing I have seen to what I have in mind. Bob has everything in there - even a shower and toilet. I wish I had some photos to post.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Sounds like a Lifetime Tent Trailer:

P1040013.jpg

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
This work -

4x5 box
queen bed
3x5 vestibule
under 600lbs loaded
Tub has access with tent open or closed