My Weekend Warrior build

Verbalkint99

Observer
Ok, been lurking for a while now and decided to post up some shots of my XJ.

Its not much now, but it will meet my current needs :) Though I am getting it ready for a camping trip across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan this fall :wings:

Its a 2000 Sport that I picked up in September of '09

This is about the only stock picture I have of my Jeep though it already has a set of 30's and ugly rims.

100_1504.jpg

First step was to apply a generous layer of truck bed liner to the rockers and rear quarter.

110_1335.jpg

110_1337.jpg

Yay for Rough Country

100_1591.jpg

Verbalkint99

Observer
Next up was getting rid of the crap rims and bald tires

MTR 31's and American Racing rims

112_0100.jpg

I prefer black rims, so the next day...

112_0085.jpg

Found this at a local junk yard

112_0087-1.jpg

Boredom = Mag-light mount

100_0328.jpg

Verbalkint99

Observer
This is how it sat this morning...after a full day of cutting, sealing, and painting its ready for new flares in the morning!

100_2069.jpg

XXXpedition

Explorer
it's definately startin' to come along :)))
great job!

i do like those rims in black.
how did you paint them?

(btw: be careful mounting too heavy load onto those stock rails. the rubber rivets will come out eventually...)

nbleak21

Adventurer
(btw: be careful mounting too heavy load onto those stock rails. the rubber rivets will come out eventually...)

Ah, I never thought of that! Looking to do a similar build on our 2000 Sport (silver as well) but with a full sized roof rack. So I guess we'll be going with gutter mounted.

I plan on making my own, any other tips you've got in that regard?

Verbalkint99

Observer
i do like those rims in black.
how did you paint them?

I hit them pretty good with a sanding pad and then used Rustoleum Pro spray paint - Midnight Metalic

Thanks for the advice in the roof rack too....later in the summer I plan on making a full size rack as well...just need to wait for this semester to end.

Just finished todays project, i will take pics and post in a little while if I have time before class.

Last edited:

XXXpedition

Explorer
So I guess we'll be going with gutter mounted.
I plan on making my own, any other tips you've got in that regard?
gutter mount is the way to go. if i were to do it over again i would run a full-length flat steel all along the gutter and then have 5 or 6 mounts for the rack. weight distribution is your friend here.
my rack was very heavy and with 1000s of miles of corrigated roads the rack broke through the roof.
if you build it yourself, it should be doable...

i'm looking forward to your progress!
sven

nbleak21

Adventurer
Awesome, Thanks, Sven!

The XJ is coming along great! looking exactly like what I plan on having mine like (though i'm contemplating going with tube fenders rather than the bushwackers.) And probably a bumper/stinger/winch, as well.

Verbalkint99

Observer
Well, had some shakes going on for a while and decided it was time for some tire balancing to be done. You always know its gonna be bad when they come get you with your car still up in the air. :(

Turns out what I thought was an out of balance tire was actually a bent rim. They got it spinning to show me and :Wow1:

So now I wait for these:

crr-397_w.jpg

Also picked up some hardware to drop my TC, and picking up a new engine skid and oil pan Monday :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design