mypressi is out of business it seems :(

Honu

lost on the mainland
OK I am a espresso guy big time
home machine is a Elektra A3 to give some idea how much into it ;)
my camp setup is based on a mypressi and its the best portable setup out their IMHO
lucky mine is working and was going to do a little write up on my setup and still will but guess anyone curious about these are going to have to get them now while some places might have stock ?
I know expo did a write up on them also

I have written here before and can say they can give a higher end machine a run for the money once you get the grind down

thread here
http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/mypressi-twist-woes-us-operations-cease-t22057.html

slooowr6

Explorer
Bummer to see this, they are just down the street from where I work. It's a great little espresso maker. A true innovation on way to make espresso. I hope they somehow get back into business.

NothingClever

Explorer
Just a field update for the potential purchasers out there...

We purchased a mypressi in May '13 and it's proven to be a dependable daily-use machine in our camper over the past 60 days.

My opinion started out pretty dim in Colorado with the main o-ring falling out constantly (I think from the atmospheric dryness). I learned to get around that by how I nested the water reservoir and the portafilter together which made things easier but sorta rankled my perception considering the package deal costs ~$165. However, the o-ring falls out less frequently now that we're in humid Florida.

As far as the quality of traditional, crema-laden espresso, I'm having excellent results with a roast called Sledgehammer from the Camp4Coffee coffeeshop in Crested Butte. Granted, the crema isn't so thick you have to push the sugar through like on a prosumer or commerical machine. But it's a more authentic shot with greater flavor and consistency than I got last year out of my Bacchi stovetop (considerably more expesnive than the mypressi) and Rocky doser.

For planning purposes, I make two cappuccinos for breakfast (wife and me), a shot for late morning and then an after lunch shot. That consumes one NO2 cartridge.

My camping grinder is a standard Zassenhaus knee grinder.

If you're a coffee nerd, I think the mypressi is worthy of consideration if you're looking to maintain your addiction no matter where you are.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Agree :) only small portable device that does real espresso :)

You keep any food grade silicone on your o rings ?
Not much like just so they are shiny might help ?

Broke my handle last trip got knocked off the table :( but still works fine

Honu

lost on the mainland
I once was stuck on espresso. now I home roast and use an aeropress exclusively.

hear coffee folks like the aeropress a lot I have not owned one ? but I am more a espresso drinker than a coffee drinker :)
but the simplicity of it seems nice :) have a couple french press units etc.. so should pick one up some time to check it out
a bit less cleaning than the mypressi on cold mornings having a bit more hot liquid in the cup is nice :)

never got into the home roasting ? I dont need to :) ahahahahha but thought it would be fun to learn
for me I like trying various espresso but fall back on Klatch stuff a lot

so what kinda roaster do you have ?

jrfromafar

Adventurer
My motto is, "nothing happens before coffee & durn near nothing happens after coffee" - I take it seriously - but I admit I'm not familiar with any of these new gadgets. I watched a few YouTube demos - seems complicated. Does it deliver a measurably better shot than the old standby?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372915032.154702.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
IMHO the mypressi is the only thing on the road that produces espresso :)

the other items are not what I would call great espresso but that does not make them bad
and if you like coffee black or with sugar milk cream whatever thick thin french press etc.. I think one can find what they like
I hate fluffy pancakes ! love Swedish pancakes which are not crepes ?
I think coffee is kinda the same way very touchy on most peoples taste factor and they tend to like coffee the way they like it so for me a good french press is fine if I want to drink a cup rather than my espresso which is like a altoid mint in power :) vs say sucking a life saver

as you move up in espresso world seems you get to a happy point or you get the eternal hunt for the better !

I can pull shots out of my mypressi that can get as close or as good as the pasquini about a $1800 machine but it cant ever match the Elektra about a $3500 machine IMHO that is flat out impressive !
all other devices cant even match the pasquini !

now again that is for espresso some give very good coffee to drink but its not the same as real good espresso :) and some are close to espresso but to far away to be good ! now that said I think Starbucks is horrid nasty brine water :) and very few places can ever give me good espresso ?
but I know when I go to burger king what I am going to get ?
at home making my own Kobe burger :) ahhhhhh nothing can come close

I used to bring a french press a lot when camping cause its easy or do a basic pour over ! really easy ! also used to use a moka pot a lot and still like that flavor

for me its a moment to sit down with my kid have fun make a ritual out of it and enjoy and I think really if you are not a espresso junky easy is better and try a few things to get the cup you like in the morning that is what is the end goal :)

Campespresso.jpg

5_13_03.jpg

5_13_04.jpg

5_13_05.jpg

NothingClever

Explorer
My motto is, "nothing happens before coffee & durn near nothing happens after coffee" - I take it seriously - but I admit I'm not familiar with any of these new gadgets. I watched a few YouTube demos - seems complicated. Does it deliver a measurably better shot than the old standby?

View attachment 170614

Short answer is, yes, it does produce a better shot.

However, America, IMO, has a twisted understanding of Italian coffee.

The picture you posted is called "la caffettierra" in Italian homes and that's what Italians use to make "a coffee" drunk from a small cup (demitasse) and also to make cappuccinos (breakfast only) and macchiatos (up to 11:00am).

Expensive espresso machines are not the rule in Italian homes.

When Italians go out for "a coffee", they do expect to get a heavier, crema-laden shot of coffee (what we call espresso) from a machine as the ordered drink or as the base of a cappuccino or macchiato. Still a small quantity and still from a demitasse although perhaps a plastic, disposable demitasse depending on the nature of the coffeeshop or restaurant.

Starbucks, the evil empire and Wal-Mart of coffee, has distorted America's understanding of Italian home coffee and purchased coffee with the introduction of gluttonous proportions and all variety of non-sensical flavor combinations.

Tell an Italian truck driver he has to forego a morning coffee from a simple stovetop caffettierra and diddle around instead with grinding his beans and that he must only use some little doo-dad with a NO2 cartridge in it and you're likely to learn about Italian mood swings and gestures. Serve an Italian after lunch a venti soy vanilla cappuccino with a single pump of chocolate, whipped cream and some $&@)/;-( sprinkles on top and you're also likely to cross things up.

While I share in American enthusiasm for café style coffee at home and on the road, I never lose sight of the fact that a coffee produced from a stovetop caffettierra is as authentic as a coffee produced from an expensive, commerical machine.

One interesting way Italians produce crema from a caffettierra just like you posted above is to pour the first few drops of espresso into a demitasse and mix sugar into that and beat it into a loose paste which produces a sort of crema. Once the caffettierra finishes producing the coffee, it's poured into demitasse cups and a small layer of "crema" is spooned on top of the coffee. All Italians I've been around used pre-ground coffee and some who had electric machines even used (gasp) pods.

Anyways, don't get hung up on all the perceived or purported mandatory equipment and techniques....what you're getting out of that caffettierra with some pre-ground coffee (roast and grind ARE important) is as authentic as a coffee produced from an $18,000 Faema/Rancilio/Elektra/Simonelli 6 grouphead machine. The quality of the coffee is different but both are the real deal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk