Nalgene, still the best...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Subject says it all. I fell for the marketing hype and bought some aluminum and stainless water bottles. They work just fine, including the Sigg style that look like MSR fuel canisters. But I have to say I've gone back to the tried and true Nalgene. The only thing is I can't bring myself to toss a couple of my trusty old Nalgenes that I've had forever. The new ones are whatever-the-chemical-is free. The size, the wide opening, remember why we all switched/fell for Nalgene in the first place...

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Love my Nalgenes! I mainly use them for backpacking so the frequency is not too high. I'd love for someone to publish data about how much water I actually have to drink from a Nalgene in order to get poisoned by the Bisphenol A.

"According to cnn.com, this chemical is used in the production of polycarbonate plastic polymers that make up an astonishing array of everyday objects, ranging from baby bottles and infant teethers to intravenous ("IV") solution bags and shatterproof eyeglass lenses."

Should I throw away my Oakley sunglasses too? :ylsmoke:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I have been using the same smoked white old style Nalgene bottle for years and years. Although the Kleen Kanteens, etc are sexy, I am staying with what I have.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The Nalgene's that I'm most familiar with are Polyethylene (PE), not Polycarbonate. I have a late model Nalgene that is polycarb (I think), but historically their bottles have been PE. I've not paid much attention, but I've also not seen BP-A tied to PE. Has it been?

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Plus the aluminum ones dent easily after you drop them. The Nalgene bottles get a scratch and they continue to work fine.

James86004

Expedition Leader
teotwaki said:
Love my Nalgenes! I mainly use them for backpacking so the frequency is not too high. I'd love for someone to publish data about how much water I actually have to drink from a Nalgene in order to get poisoned by the Bisphenol A.
My understand of it is if you use it only for cool drinks, there is no problem, but if you start putting boiling water in it all the time, you have a tiny problem.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
mountainpete said:
I have been using the same smoked white old style Nalgene bottle for years and years. Although the Kleen Kanteens, etc are sexy, I am staying with what I have.

ntsqd said:
The Nalgene's that I'm most familiar with are Polyethylene (PE), not Polycarbonate. I have a late model Nalgene that is polycarb (I think), but historically their bottles have been PE. I've not paid much attention, but I've also not seen BP-A tied to PE. Has it been?

My understanding of this is that the white, old style Nalgenes (PE) do not and have never contained BPA (Bisphenol A).

ExploringNH

Explorer
I also am back to using Nalgenes. The other half insisted on replacing all of them with the Sigg style metal water bottles when the whole BPA thing was announced. Luckily I was able to hide my favorite one and wait out the storm. Its back in the rotation now and I never use the metal ones. I dont know exactly what it is I dont like about them, but the Nalgene gets picked every time.

Maybe I should be more worried about the chemicals, but Im not. I remember drinking out of the garden hose as a kid. The stuff coming out of that has to be 10x worse. I also remember that being the best tasting water around.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
dieselcruiserhead said:
But I have to say I've gone back to the tried and true Nalgene.

I never quite using mine. They are a fixture in my everyday life. Come to think of it, I drink more out of my Nalgenes than I do out of anything else, including glasses.

The new BPA free bottles are a good thing.

Still using all mine from my Boy Scout days. We have a total of 8 of them, Ranging from when they first came out to ones that are about 3 years old.

We did break down though last week and bought a Sigg for Europe since our Nalgenes won't fit into the bottle holders in my new daypack.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Streakerfreak said:
Still using all mine from my Boy Scout days. We have a total of 8 of them, Ranging from when they first came out to ones that are about 3 years old.

I still have one of the classic bottles, lost all the others. It is proudly displayed on a shelf.

I do think it is a good idea to retire any plastic water bottle after a couple years of use. After a while things start to leach out of the plastic, best to be safe.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Overland Hadley said:
Come to think of it, I drink more out of my Nalgenes than I do out of anything else, including glasses.

Same here. When I have guests over, they always ask me why I drink out of a Nalgene bottle in my own home. I tell them, well, since I already have a drink in the Nalgene bottle there's no need for me to get a separate glass just to end up washing an extra item. See? I'm helping the environment my reducing my impact.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
ntsqd said:

The soft plastic Nalgene bottles that we are all so familiar with are indeed PE, and are not part of the current controversy regarding BPA. The hard plastic bottles are Polycarbonate, thus contain BPA. If you believe everything you read, then if you drink from those polycarbonate bottles you will wake up with dew claws and start howling at the moon (even when you are sober...).

98roamer

Explorer
Still using them everyday. Even more so now that I'm in an new office and we don't have a full kitchen anymore. I fill it up first thing in the morning and after lunch, this keeps me from jumping up to go to the water fountain every few minutes. Let's not even talk about the quality of water out that comes out of a drinking fountain.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
98roamer said:
Still using them everyday. Even more so now that I'm in an new office and we don't have a full kitchen anymore. I fill it up first thing in the morning and after lunch, this keeps me from jumping up to go to the water fountain every few minutes. Let's not even talk about the quality of water out that comes out of a drinking fountain.

And since I'm using my Nalgene bottle I'm doing my part by reducing waste since I'm not using disposable cups when at work.

I don't understand some of my coworkers that have to use disposable forks, spoons, plates everyday when we have a perfectly stocked breakroom with a kitchen sink, dishware and silverware for everyone to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater