NASA tracking station adventure

Outback

Explorer
Thanks Martin. It was fun to take the wife and kids up there. If anyone heads out this way and if im in town I would glady show you all where she is.

Outback

Explorer
I found a few historic pictures of the Ely site.

Attachments

• ely_winter.jpg
    ely_winter.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 61
  • ely_ste19991.jpg
    ely_ste19991.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 47
  • highrange7.jpg
    highrange7.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 46

Outback

Explorer
By looking at the winter picture above (1st one) and comparing to the ones I took yesterday you can see that the station was added onto at some point in its life. The generator build was expanded to include two more generators. Two additions were also added to the main building. One addition added at least 35% more square footage while the other was for another radar dish and dome housing. The dome housing is now gone from both of there mounts. I would like to go back up there and take much more detailed pictures if anyone would like to join me. We just need to work out the dates. Maybe an over night stay up at the base?

angusdevil

Adventurer
Sweet! Looks like it was a fun trip. Reminds me of the Comm tower that was just north of Four Peaks that was abandoned for the longest time but the tower was still up. It was pulled down and revamped a couple months back so you can't go exploring but I got lots of pics before it was closed back up :D

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Nice. I love these "modern day ghost towns." I did not know of this historic aviation location and will add it to my to-visit list.

angusdevil

Adventurer
A couple pics of the tower for whomever is interested

Tonto35.JPG

Tonto36.JPG

Tonto37.JPG

Tonto38.JPG

Tonto33.JPG

Desert Dan

Explorer
I found a site a while ago that listed old and or abandoned airfields around the country. It was pretty interesting.

In NV there were several emergency landing strips on dry lakes for test aircraft etc.

moose70

I spent the last 7 1/2 years of the station's life working up there...started as a radar tech., then Radar Leader, then Technical Advisor (Site Engineer), ended up as Site Manager for a short while during closing. RCA had the contract with NASA to operate the Station many years before it closed. As you can imagine, it was always an adventure working there, especially in the winter months..I "really" saw it snow up there in August! A routine chill factor in winter was -50 degrees.
If anyone has any questions that I might answer for them, my E-mail is:
glennbrown20@gmail.com A little sad, but thanks for the pictures. moose70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC