Need advice on... well, bikes.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'm not really an enthusiast, although I spent a lot of time on my bike before I got my driver's license... 20 years ago. Holy crap - I almost wish I didn't just make that calculation. Anyway, I've been finding myself riding around a lot lately on my old mountain bike. It is an unmaintained, but garage-kept Schwinn Impact; a proper Schwinn before they started selling 'em at Wal-Mart.

This thing doesn't track right, never has - can't ride hands-free for whatever reason. It's uncomfortable, it doesn't shift correctly, the chain skips when under load, and it's on its original tires and tubes which... I can't even fathom how they still hold air. Although it's held up fairly well, I really don't know if it's a good bike or not. Is this something worth salvaging as an "around-town / occasional-trail" bike? ...or should I look at new?

I dig cycling, although I do so very casually. I ride aggressively around town, ride down steps, up and over curbs, etc. However, I also like leisurely rides down the paved bike path by the river. I can't see myself spending a fortune, because it's not a proper hobby for me - it's just a thing. However, maybe it could be a hobby. What type of bike do you think I should look for? Recommendations? Or should I just update and fix-up my current bike?

194857185_8baecb4fe1_b.jpg

Djlarroc

Upgrade to a 29er hardtail for sure. Many nice bikes can be had used for about $600 +/-. Giant, specialized, trek/gary fisher..

keezer37

Explorer
I started riding 2+ years ago. My previous bike had a bicentennial theme. I love it. Can't get enough of it now. I ride a six hundred dollar Trek. I'll ride it another year before I move on. I'm still learning. It's comfortable and fairly maintenance free. I bought Park Tool's maintenance book to learn to do my own maintenance as the dudes on YouTube were driving me nuts.

I think whatever you ride, make sure it's well maintained and fun to ride so as to give yourself a chance to fall in love with this most perfect pastime.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Upgrade to a 29er hardtail for sure. Many nice bikes can be had used for about $600 +/-. Giant, specialized, trek/gary fisher..

Had to school myself on 29ers a little. Thank you, Google. I'm a little reluctant to go that route (if and when I get a new bike), because I'm a towering 5'7". While I can dig the advantages, it might be a lot of wheel for me to handle. Though I appreciate your suggestion! :)

I think whatever you ride, make sure it's well maintained and fun to ride so as to give yourself a chance to fall in love with this most perfect pastime.

That's kind of what I'm hoping. I could really use another hobby that is a physical activity, because I already spend too much time sitting on my butt. Not that I wouldn't use the bike's seat, but it's safe to assume that I'd be exerting energy.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I ride with a handful of women who barely stand 5'4" and they shred on their 29ers. Trailsurfer and I both have friends who are probably less than 5'7" and are insanely fast on their 29ers.

trailsurfer

Explorer
I ride with a handful of women who barely stand 5'4" and they shred on their 29ers. Trailsurfer and I both have friends who are probably less than 5'7" and are insanely fast on their 29ers.

One of my best friends who won the 24 Hours World championships a few years ago is 5'2" rides a 29er.

Djlarroc

I also want to add, my cousin who is my #1 MTB adventure partner, is 5'6. He also made the jump to the niner after getting tired of trying to keep up w/me lol.. Now, we are neck and neck again.

Been holding on to my full suspension 26er, but I feel the inevitable coming for it, this spring....

live2pedal

+1 on the 29er I ride one and it's awesome.
However there are some frame size and handling challenges with those smaller frames. 650b is awesome, and you can't ever go wrong with a good ole 26er hardtail. Given your amount of riding, I would invest 600 or so bucks on a more modern quality hardail, and if you really like it you can upgrade. Any of the major brands have models that fit that bill, but I would go with a Surly Troll, super versatile 26er or 650b. Mounts for racks, disc brakes, linear brakes, even a rholoff hub mount. It could do lots of things well, which seems ideal given your varied and unsure riding style right now. While sort of future proofing yourself should you really get into it down the road. Wow that was long winded...hopethishelps

phsycle

Adventurer
If you're going to get a new bike, might as well try out a 29er. Also, since you're looking for a "around-town / occasional-trail" bike, especially since it looks like you'll be thrashing the urban scene, may I suggest a singlespeed bike with a rigid fork? Redline Monocog 29er is what I'd suggest. Cheap, stout, and lots o fun. It's like a big ol'BMX bike. I had one for several years and upgraded to its older sibling, the Monocog Flight. Even in stock form, it took everything I threw at it--street riding, singletrack, you name it. You could easily pick one up for less than $500. And maybe half that if buying used on craigslist.

3204733401_d69d134c62.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal