Need front carpet for 97 Econoline

Stitebunny

Adventurer
What do you guys recommend?
I need some new flooring for the front area.
It looks like there are several online retailers selling carpet kits. Does anyone have experience replacing just the front section under the drivers and passenger seats?
Thanks a lot.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
Ford OEM is too expensive. Where did you find after market? I took all my rubberized mats out of the front by removing both seats and the panels. Took less than 15 minutes to remove everything including the seats. It's straightforward. You do not need any special knowledge or tools. I think all I used were a Phillips screw driver and a socket wrench.

Stitebunny

Adventurer
I pulled everything to install some thermal and sound insulation and am about ready for the top finish. Just need to get something. The vinyl mat that was there is pretty gross. I wouldn't mind having some nice carpet but I want to find some good quality stuff. Looks nice, durable, easy to clean. We usually find some pretty dirty, dusty, muddy places to camp and do our activities so im hoping I can install something other than the same type of vinyl. I didn't really care too much for the look of it.
I just googled econoline carpet and found places like jc Whitney that have carpet kits. I just dont want something that will fall apart quick, be a pain to clean or not fit properly. I also will install some rubber mats so any thoughts on those would be welcome also!

philos

Explorer
You can cut something to fit from a big piece of scrap carpet.
You can also get take-out carpet on ebay for $100. Mine was pretty much new when I got it, a bit of dust from sitting that vacuumed right up...had the factory padding on it too as a bonus.

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Bbasso, thanks I did see your thread in my searches.
Hoping to find something to fit like factory.

Philos, that's what im hoping for. I saw one on there but it is tan. Hoping for gray.

Im a worried the aftermarket ones will look and fit like poo. Anybody tried one?
Need to order some parts and check something else off the to do list!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I paid $60 for real wool carpeting, one piece from front to back. I cut it to fit and couldn't be happier.
I've had a bunch of compliments about the carpet...

philos

Explorer
^^this^^
I'd say about 50-60% of the conversion vans I see in the junkyards use this technique. Looks great when they've used quality carpet, looks janky when it's that crap apartment carpet...you know the one.

Sent via flux capacitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad