Need help from Florida guys.

CaptainBuilt

I have a friend who has an emergency vehicle I'm looking at. He got it at auction. It's a 99 E-450, VERY, VERY low miles on a 7.3L and a tall roof.

Here's the problem, it has a certificate of destruction title. I've done some research, and can't find what I'm looking for. If I bought it, could I get at least a NC salvage title for it? There was some roof damage on the box and that's it.

For the price, no matter what, I'll buy it just for the drivetrain, but would love to make a rig out of it.

Thanks!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
A quick google turned this up.

Once a vehicle is junked, it will be issued a “non-repairable vehicle title” by the North Carolina DMV, and the vehicle will either be destroyed or have its still-viable parts resold. By law and for the safety of drivers, a junked vehicle must never be rebuilt, retitled, or reregistered.
https://www.idrivesafely.com/dmv/north-carolina/vehicle/salvaged-vehicles/

I would assume that NC DMV would interpret a Florida destruction title as non-repairable? Might be worth running a VIN history search to see what comes up. If it was never reported by florida as destroyed title, you might be able to request a fresh title through one of the easy re-title states?

bdog1

Adventurer
There’s games you can play running the title through states that have favorable (lack of) rules. Talk to a title company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainBuilt

Thanks for the input guys.

The rig is a American Red Cross response vehicle, with only 35k miles. He's my cousin in Mississippi, and he has about $500 in it. He has a side business (one of about 3,000 lol) where he buys salvage trucks with clean titles and fixes them to sale. He got that one to use just for the drivetrain. Knowing how much I like vans, he told me about it.

My only issue is that those are big. Maybe too big for me to use. My van is my daily, and I would sell my van if I got that rig.

Two things might happen. I may just pull the engine and trans, then scrap what I don't part out. Or, just buy a cab only high mileage 7.3 ambo chassis and swap cabs, and use the good VIN/title, which is legal after inspection through the DMV. He has no problem keeping it at his place until I do either.

Just was looking for an easier option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal