need help identifying M101 trailer

Quiero_acampar

So this trailer has been in the family for a long time. I don't remember a time when it wasn't around, and I'm almost 29. Its been all over the southwestern United States and into Baja Mexico a few times too. My Dad passed away a little over a year ago and nobody else has expressed any interest in becoming its new owner other than myself. I have been lurking on the forum for a little while now, generally looking into the fantastic builds I have seen of similar trailers, I would like to know if there is any way to identify what I have here. It looks like an M101 of some kind, but it has been through a few changes. It has the pintle swapped for a ball hitch, it was painted red and white to match the 75 suburban that was the old tow vehicle, and it looks like the axle went from under to on top of the leafs. It may even be a different axle than the original. Im really not sure. I never thought to ask my dad while he was around. So heres some pictures that I snapped.
IMG_1759.jpg
IMG_1761.jpg
IMG_1760.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg
IMG_1766.jpg

The eventual goal, if I can convince my wife, is to make it into an expedition/ base camp trailer. For now it will be towed behind my 2004 Grand Cherokee WJ with the 4.0 I6 when I need to haul cargo.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Any idea why all the images flipped upside down? they are not that way on my computer...

NMC_EXP

Explorer
There were at least three versions in the M101 trailer series: M101, M101A1 & M101A2

All were rated 3/4 ton capacity offroad and 1-1/2 ton on highway.

All were equipped with a lunette ring to mate with a pintile hitch.

They all used the same box.

All had (2) hand operated parking brakes.

All had 5 hole Budd wheels. EDIT/CORRECTION: The M101 and A1 had (5) hole Budd wheels. The A2 had (8) hole Chevy wheels.

The M101A2 had a surge brake system, the others did not.

Your axle or at least hubs have been replaced - those are automotive wheels of some sort.

With the elimination of the original axle, drawbar & hitch and presumably the original wiring and lights, knowing which version will only be a matter of academic interest.

Does it have any data plates on the front of the box or on the frame near the front? The data plate will have the model, s/n and date of mfg.

Last edited:

E Dr. P

Observer
based on the bolt pattern and lack of surge / parking brakes, it looks like you have an A1

All m101 trailers had parking brakes. The bolt pattern is not an a1 pattern, the axle has been changed at some point. The frame also looks to be heavily modified. The a-frame on an m101 series trailer sits underneath the frame, on this one it is level with the frame and welded. Also there are cross members missing. It's possible that someone put a military bed on a civilian trailer.

shack

Adventurer
You've got a few things wrong, here.

There were at least three versions in the M101 trailer series: M101, M101A1 & M101A2 - You forgot the A3 model with 37" hummer headlock rims and a torsion axle

All were rated 3/4 ton capacity offroad and 1-1/2 ton on highway.

All were equipped with a lunette ring to mate with a pintile hitch.

They all used the same box. - The A3 box is wider than the A1 or A2 box

All had (2) hand operated parking brakes.

All had 5 hole Budd wheels. - A2's had a 8 lug bolt pattern to match up with CUCV's that were towing them, as did the A3's

The M101A2 had a surge brake system, the others did not. - the A3 also had a surge brake system.

Your axle or at least hubs have been replaced - those are automotive wheels of some sort.

With the elimination of the original axle, drawbar & hitch and presumably the original wiring and lights, knowing which version will only be a matter of academic interest.

Does it have any data plates on the front of the box or on the frame near the front? The data plate will have the model, s/n and date of mfg.

shack

Adventurer
All m101 trailers had parking brakes. The bolt pattern is not an a1 pattern, the axle has been changed at some point. The frame also looks to be heavily modified. The a-frame on an m101 series trailer sits underneath the frame, on this one it is level with the frame and welded. Also there are cross members missing. It's possible that someone put a military bed on a civilian trailer.

Looks like you are right about the axle. Frame is definitely modified.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Forgot about the (8) lug Chevy A2 wheels. Must be because I sold my A2 last fall.

I've owned the M101, A1 and A2 but never an A3. Do own a Pioneer Tool trailer and an M416 though.

Quiero_acampar

"With the elimination of the original axle, drawbar & hitch and presumably the original wiring and lights, knowing which version will only be a matter of academic interest."
I guess that's true. It's already been modified to the point that it doesn't matter what it once was.

And the plates were painted over. They don't seem to be stamped so I think it's beyond my ability to recover

Quiero_acampar

I had never thought of that before. I guess it's a strong possibility

NMC_EXP

Explorer
"With the elimination of the original axle, drawbar & hitch and presumably the original wiring and lights, knowing which version will only be a matter of academic interest."
I guess that's true. It's already been modified to the point that it doesn't matter what it once was.

And the plates were painted over. They don't seem to be stamped so I think it's beyond my ability to recover

The basic info on the data plates was screen printed or some such technique. The s/n's on mine were stamped. If you get too aggressive getting the paint off the original stuff may be lost.

Even if it has been modified it is still probably a good trailer. Looks like it has the wooden racks and end gates. Maybe not all the bows. You might want to get some paint on the wood. Even if you do not plan to use the racks they are worth something to military vehicle collectors.

What I was trying to say was knowing the specific model number of the trailer may not help due to the modifications - as in having a Tech Manual for the original brakes, hitch...etc.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
My A2 and A3 trailers have two hand brake handles, where as my old M101 from the 50's has only one hand brake handle, that's in the middle. Looks like this one only has one brake handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3