Need help pls: PW vs '03 7.3 vs '11 6.7

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I think there are tons of us that would agree the PW with a Cummins would be the end all. My concern there, is Dodge/Chrysler knows that as well, and they have yet to conquer the task adequately. I have heard many reasons why, from weight to room to ???, but while I agree on the end result, I have done too many 'reasonable' cost projects that have never ended up being reasonable cost.
And took the '11 F250 yesterday, with four of us, a 16' trailer hauling a Ural, at 75mph in moderate elevation foothills, and got an honest 17.2mpg. Not bad nor an easy feat to replicate. As compared to a run over to Uwharrie Sat in the PW, through the country at 60mph and barely got double digits mpg.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Ford killed 5.5' off the turning radius in all configurations when they went to coils,so that's a big plus.
I'm a big guy,and Ford's cab is right up my alley.

I couldn't sleep at night without a factory authorized service plan though.
Any kind of extensive head/turbo/injector work etc. requires lifting the cab off the frame.
I'd keep the 2011 Ford.

Sage Carli purchased one as his personal vehicle for research purposes.
He offers suspension enhancements for it.

The ford 6.7 was designed so the cab does not have to be lifted. The 03 7.3 however...

71WarWagon

I think there are tons of us that would agree the PW with a Cummins would be the end all. My concern there, is Dodge/Chrysler knows that as well, and they have yet to conquer the task adequately. I have heard many reasons why, from weight to room to ???, but while I agree on the end result, I have done too many 'reasonable' cost projects that have never ended up being reasonable cost.
And took the '11 F250 yesterday, with four of us, a 16' trailer hauling a Ural, at 75mph in moderate elevation foothills, and got an honest 17.2mpg. Not bad nor an easy feat to replicate. As compared to a run over to Uwharrie Sat in the PW, through the country at 60mph and barely got double digits mpg.

I think one of the biggest reasons was that the suits over at Chrysler didnt think that the PW would be profitable with a diesel option and that they wanted to keep the "old school" feel to the rig. Epic Fail if you ask me....if they made it I would have one right now. The lack of room, weight and other misc arguments are baloney if you ask me....kinda the same reason why Toyota keeps pulling the plug on the diesel tundra..they dont think it will sell. There are so many bark lovers out there crying for electronic this and that that Toyota is scared to bring one to market. Which is a shame because that is another rig I would love to own.

Cummins diesel swaps are a very popular thing these days....everyone is doing it so to speak..lol. I am stockpiling parts for my superdookie slowly and almost have all of the stuff for my warwagon...The swaps are so common that the only chance of spending unexpected money comes from deciding one turbo "might not be enough". These are not "new" swaps by any means, so all of the tricky stuff is ready made and sold in kit form.

Check out autoworldmt.com or GOSperformance.com or fordcummins.com and see what I mean.

71WarWagon

I just wanted to add that I do understand completely what you are saying too. Five years ago I would have told you to take that new truck and run with it...but now I guess I have moved in a different direction. I like things I can work on. I REALLY like things that I can fix on my own, in my garage, with basic hand tools. I hate depending on getting my vehicle to a dealer to pay someone else $75-$100 to run a 10 minute diagnostic check on my computer controlled, regulated and over burdened truck. Part of this "enlightening" is the fact that I live 2.5 hours from anything. Having had a dead truck, in the middle of the winter and having a very sick child needing immediate medical attention can do that to you I guess.....Sad thing was, it had already been to the dealer twice and the third time they just said "well, we really dont know" and they wanted to just throw parts at it. Kinda sad that you find yourself looking at 30-40 year old vehicles as a reliable "it will always start" replacement to the fancy new thing in the driveway that still costs you money every month even if you can't drive it. Sorry...kinda got off point. Guess what Im saying is new is cool and nice and maybe dare I say reliable (sometimes) but I really like stuff that I own to either be extremely basic (12v CTD-nv4500-np205 planned for the warwagon) or at least put together buy me so I know all the idiosyncracies about it i.e. (12vctd-ecm controlled 4r100 superdookie).

Anyway, sounds like you made your choice so I wish you good luck bud!

What are you asking for your PW btw? Maybe I'll offload my SD and buy yours to put my 12v into....would make my swap alot easier.......lol!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Actually agree with most of your pioints, and while we are a bit remote, rural actually, we are not 2.5 hours from anywhere. In fact, truth be told, if the biggest calamity came and it all went to hell in a hand basket, we are 8 miles to the nearest hospital and certainly have tractors that get the job done:) In all reality, another convenience is the neighbor, an uncle to boot, owns the Ford dealer, hence ready loaners, etc. I have been on the receiving end of a new 'bad' truck, '03 6.0 that left me stranded twice, so painfully aware of new 'reliability'. But, I haven't yet seen a diesel transplant to a modern PW- do you have knowledge of one? Mine is sadly listed under the for sale section currently... Thanks for all the feedback, cheers.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/62790-07-Power-Wagon-w-Ute-bed-extras-warranty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC