Need info on charging deep cycle battery

oddball

I'm looking into solar power to charge my camper battery. Its a deep cycle 140 minute reserve Napa battery. I have two small lights and possibly the fridge and maybe the furnace i want to run off the battery, not more than an hour at night. My plan is to use the battery at night and then charge it back up during the day. My question is what is the minimum watts I need to charge the battery? Will a battery tender work or do I need enough watts for a full on charge? Ive tried searching but im not finding what I need. Thanks
Robert

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I think Ed B. had an issue where he discharged his deep cycle battery to a level at which his small 15 watt solar panel just didn't have enough power to bring it back up to a charged state. I know it was suggested that he try charging it with a battery charger but I don't know what the final outcome was.

We don't see any issues with deep cycle batteries that are charge from the vehicle when it's running and then charged with our foldable 60 watt panels in camp.

I'd need more information on your battery, the type of fridge you want to run and it's power drawer, and the power drawer of the lights and furnace to see if you would be running at a deficit or not.

Our solar panels put out 3.6 amps of power and we figure around 28.8 amps per day. That's enough to power a 45 liter Engle fridge for 24 hours. Your power requirements may be in the same region.

The battery charger should be in addition to the solar panel as the damage to the battery is done when you store it. It will probably be stowed with less than a full charge, discharge when not in use, be charge by the alternation via a 10 amp cable getting to camp, set through a series of discharge and partial charge in camp, and then stored again. Due to sulphurization the battery life under these conditions is typically 2 years instead of the standard 5 years.

oddball

Ok good info, Ill have to do a little more research on what the draw would be, it should be minimal. I know I could charge the battery off the truck but for now I was just hoping to get a solar panel to keep the battery going for 5 days at the most

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Ok good info, Ill have to do a little more research on what the draw would be, it should be minimal. I know I could charge the battery off the truck but for now I was just hoping to get a solar panel to keep the battery going for 5 days at the most

Group 31 deep cycle will give you 3 days if your power requirements are low and you use energy efficiently. The solar will be elongating that time frame.

Let me know the power draw and length of time you will be using each item.

I'd strongly suggest LED lighting, you can look at some here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online