Need shocks!

5x5

Observer
I'm needing new shocks on my 96 tacoma. Stock suspension and no heavy bumpers or winch. I'm thinking Bilstien, but would like to know what everyone thinks. Thanks!

X_Trippin

Observer
That's what I run, mine are the stock "off road" Nissan ones. But will probably replace with a set of 5100's from Bilstein.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade it all... LOL.

I have ran the Bils for a while, and infact the TRD package from the factory included the bil's. I still prefer the Icon's over the Bils.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
I am running extended length Bilstein 5125s on the rear axle of my Frontier and considering the same for the FJ. They are great and I have been really impressed with them. As Wil mentioned, the Icon stuff is amazing. It is a step above most everything on the market and pretty much race quality.

dustboy

Explorer
I ended up with the ProComps, since I was broke at the time I needed them. They work fine, no complaints.

I've never heard a bad thing about the Billies. Also you get a built-in adjustable lift on the front shocks, and the rears are 0-3" ready. Probably the best for the buck.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacoadjbils.htm

The next big step up is the blingy coilovers like SAWs or the extra spendy Icons.

New springs wouldn't be a bad idea while you're at it, they're probably pretty limp by now. If you don't get the coilovers, people seem to like the OME 88x springs.

GetBentFab

I bought these for my Wagoneer and love them. They can be set up to allow in cab adjustment too. Not sexy high dollar shocks but it's great to have shocks fine tuned to your driving style and personal prefereces.

RAN-RS9000XL.jpg

CYi5

Explorer
5150's with the piggyback reservoir rode smoother than 5125s in my experience. Then again, the donahoe rear resi's blew them both away, all depends on your wallet.

5x5

Observer
Thanks for the input guys. I'm having to fight the upgrade urge hard. The truck has north of 200k on it and the extended cab is getting cramped for my daughters.
I'm hoping to have a dcab tacoma in the garage within a year or two. :smiley_drive: Actually was going to be sooner, but the wife spotted an '02 Volvo cross country she fell in love with this week.
Anyway, I think I'll be going with the regular bilstiens. The 5100 look nice, but without a lift I don't see them working. Thanks again for the info! -Ian

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Correct, post '01 models were Bil's.

Hmm. My 01 TRD has Tokico's all the way around. Maybe some came with Tok and some Bil's, then. Unless post-01 means 02-on. Too early. Can't think. :D

When I switch, I'll also be going with Bil 5100 series front and back. I like that I can adjust the suspension height on the front with the Bil's.

CYi5

Explorer
Hmm. My 01 TRD has Tokico's all the way around. Maybe some came with Tok and some Bil's, then. Unless post-01 means 02-on. Too early. Can't think. :D

When I switch, I'll also be going with Bil 5100 series front and back. I like that I can adjust the suspension height on the front with the Bil's.

Double cabs have the blue tokicos, ext. cabs have the yellow bilsteins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad