Need some advice as to Suspension and Tire size.

Excelsior

Observer
Been lurking for a while, finally poked my head up because I couldn't find this by searching. (maybe I'm just bad at it.)

I'm (hopefully) picking up a '10 Tacoma double cab 4x4 soon. I need this truck to be able to handle large rocks, dirt, snow, and mud, and roads with some really deep ruts. It's mostly going to be a daily driver, with occasional trips into southwest back-country and trips up mountain roads which are poorly plowed.

My "Stage 1" plan (as far as modifications to the truck) includes an ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, ARB compressor, F/R air lockers (I do most of my wheeling alone, getting stuck is not a good idea.) OME suspension, and tires. BFG KM2 seem to be popular, is this a good choice?

My main question is, given this kit,which claims a 2" lift with bullbar and winch attached, what's a good diameter to run without undue rubbing concerns, but with sufficient axle clearance. I want to stick with a narrow tire, for better tracking through snow and better traction in mud (so I've heard).

Also, I've heard that when the diffs are opened for lockers, it's a good time to install new ring gears to offset the difference in rolling radius of the tire.

lastly, tire sizes are width/sidewall width - wheel size, correct? I've had this paradigm from car tires, but wanted to make sure there wasn't a different one for trucks, which sounds kind of stupid now that I say it.

Sorry for all the questions, which probably seem pretty newbish, but I'm just trying to figure this out for my own since there aren't many people around here that do much more than 3' lifts and 30" wheels.

Last edited:

GreenMtnTaco

Observer
I'm currently going through the same process. Just waiting on my tires and will be lifting next weekend. I'm not one to jump in blind so this is the info that I have researched.

The OME suspension is a very popular option. Good ride, good price, and effective off road performance. The other popular option are front adjustable coil-overs. But you'd be looking at $1000 just for the front suspension for a set that can perform well with the added weight up front of the ARB bull bar. Doesn't sound like it, but if you are in an area that salts the roads, people have had issues with adjustable coil overs rusting on the threads and preventing further adjustment. Lastly I'd suggest checking toyteclifts.com or wheelersoffroad.com. Seem to be a bit cheaper than buying from ARB.

As far as tire size goes, a very popular size around here is 255/85/16. It's a tall skinny 33". And actually works very well with the stock wheels. People running this size have done little to no triming for good fit. Other popular size is 285/75/16. A wider 33". With 285/75/16 you will likely need to do some triming and may rub the UCA at full lock. If tire fitment is still an issue with 2" lift, both wheelers and toytec offer a 1/2" top plate spacer to boost the front lift closer to 3".

The BFG Km2s have gotten very good reviews. Weak areas are probably hard pack snow and ice(it is a mud after all). If you are doing a lot of snow wheeling, and the snow is very deep the tall and narrow might not be ideal.

I decided on the OME front suspension, AAL and OME N182 in the rear. Would like to have done new leaf pack in the rear but budget doesn't allow for it. Also ordered 255/85/16 BFG KM2's. Will be installing next weekend. I'll update a reply once I get to play around a little with the new setup

Excelsior

Observer
Thank you very much, that was a big help.

My thinking with tall/skinny for snow was that they would act like rudders, ensuring I had adequate front-end control in the snow. I would rather be stuck than understeering any day.

Right now, I live in southern Illinois, but I'm going to be spending this year in Santa Fe, NM, and likely doing a fair bit of skiing, hence the snow.

would it be necessary to re-gear for 33" tires? if so, what's a good ratio?

GreenMtnTaco

Observer
I plan on re-gearing at some point. Everything I've read says that you'll notice it, but its bearable. Most seem to re-gear 4.56 or 4.88. If it's within your budget then might as well do it when you add the lockers.

The tall skinny tires also have to push less snow mass out of the way, and allow you to dig down into a good surface. This digging effect can be an issue when the snow is deep in that you may dig yourself to the point of being stuck before connecting to solid ground underneath.

There are a few guys with very nice 05+ tacos here(I think at least a couple are running 255/85/16s) that will be able give their views of gearing and snow capabilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater