Need some Disco owners with opinions...

Rustyfishook

Hi all,

Okay, moving the family to Kauai for a year. Currently own a STOCK 2002 Disco II with 140,000 miles. She has been well maintained and currently has nothing major at all going on. Started a thread here http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/140515-Moving-to-Kauai-in-need-of-vehicle-advise/page2 about the possibility of moving to a Toyota platform for reliability. I seriously need some opinions on the reliability/ worthwhileness of upgrading (OME lift, bumpers and winch) of a high milage Disco.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks much.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
djrooms_anim03.gif

jjstahl3

Explorer
Isn't this more of a question what can you sell your car here for vs shipping it there vs buying a used car there? My guess is a 02 discovery is not worth much at this point - what's the used car market like in Kauai? Maybe it's worth more there?

Rustyfishook

Shipping is about $1200.00 from California. No, the issue is longevity. I've not seen any Disco's over there in the last two weeks on Craigslist, checked daily. A couple of Range Rovers. A friend who lived there said to be wary of "local" cars due to lack of maintenance. My local Rover mechanic said the same.

jjstahl3

Explorer
So either way are you going to ship a car over vs buy something there? Is there a local Lr mechanic over there?

film842

Observer
For whatever it's worth, I'm driving an 02 disco with the same mileage as you. I've owned it for 11 years and it's been the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. I'm going to keep it and use it for a number of long range road trips plus light to medium off roading in the next few years and I expect it to be fine with continued maintenance.

There are a number of 180k plus rovers out there, but of course you never hear about them because they have to need to post on the tech forums. Still, in the end it comes down to whether or not you want drive a rover. A Toyota would be cheaper to drive I would guess, but I'd rather drive my Discovery.

RonL

Adventurer
I have a daily driver with 212,000 miles (never had a head job or even gaskets) and my wife's is 167,000 (with heads done at 120,000).
If you like it drive it...

da10A

Adventurer
I say go ahead and switch over. No point in staying in that uncertain zone. Especially since you don't know if parts availability or competent indy mechs are present over there. It is your decision, but since you are asking for advice, I say switch. D2s are a gamble to drive around here, can't imagine how I would feel in a strange country. The uncertainty alone would kill me.

discomun

From a D2 owner that used to live on Oahu, this sounds crazy but I would suggest buying a Toyota or Jeep on the mainland, shipping it over, and selling it once you leave Hawaii. The market for Toyotas and Jeeps in Hawaii is insane. The prices out there are way over inflated.

Rustyfishook

Thinking of doing both at this point. Our Disco has been really well maintained, and we really like her. Probably going to ship her and also look for a decent (not perfect) Tacoma mainland side and ship that also. Thanks for your reply!

discomun

No problem rusty, now that's a plan. Keep the Disco and make money off of a Tacoma/Jeep. Boy, I need to start that up as a business.

DGuest

Aloha, I live in kalaheo Kauai! So I built my truck on the mainland compleat with bumper, ARB rack and rooftop tent and shipped it over. Best idea I ever had, try shipping a bumper or RTT over $$$!! If you plan on driving in sand like polihale the Discovery won't cut it, well at least the motor wont. Sand out here is very corse, very soft and really hard on trucks. If I were you get a Toyota equip it and ship it!!!! If you decide to sell it you'll make money off it. Keep the landy though there so sweet! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven