Need some input on building a Weekend Warrior WJ on $4 grand budget

Capercrew02

Observer
I really should have taken more pics along the way, but it was honestly really strait forward. From g&g the winch box was one piece and pre bent into place, then the front wing plates were single pieces and pre bent to the right angle. Once I lined up the pieces they all fell into place really. Used 90* magnets to hold it in place while I tacked it. From just the drawings it's hard to know where to start, but once I had all the pieces in front of me it was really obvious and pretty easy. Just like those 3D puzzles, they only go together one way, and interlock together once you get started. I think i only spent 3 working days on it.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Did you weld the bumper on the Jeep. Meaning I saw photos of a guy building his front bumper that basically bolted the support plates on first and then started welded the pieces on to the supports while mounted to the jeep instead of welding it on the ground first and then trying to mount it all up. Also did you have yours powder coated?

Also what size lift, tires etc did you do?

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Just bought a Smittybilt 10k wireless winch with synthetic line. Also some Drings. Just need to find me some shackle mounts to weld on to the front and rear bumpers as we are building them.

Capercrew02

Observer
I welded the entire bumper off the jeep and on the bench. If your looking at the plans you'll see that the bumper is basically two parts once it's compete. The brackets that go in the frame rail gets bolted to another upright that gets welded to the center winch box. What I did was once the main part was all tacked, I bolted those two pieces together, then set the bumper on to test fit everything in place, tacked the bumper to the mounts, removed the bumper, and finished all the welding. The only time I did any welding with it on the car was that one step, which is actually the last picture I uploaded.

For my lift and all, it's the iron rock off-road critical path long arm 4" lift with jk takeoff wheels. Make sure you order your lift through kolak, he saved me a bunch, and got me a killer deal on my shocks. My wj is purely a weekend and toy rig, not a dd, and for that I love this lift. The ride is fantastic on and off the trail, and for the desert type wheeling I do here in so cal it's been incredibly capable. I picked up the jeep bone stock last July though so most it's life with me has been upgrading and getting it built, so many members here have far more experience with this rig than me.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Capercrew, that's a great build. I've got my Kolak ordered 3" OME lift installed and tires and wheels on. Little nervous about installing the Powertrax open diff locker. Looks like alot of steps and it needs to be done right. Wish there was a youtube video showing a step by step. That should be mandatory for manufactures nowadays with the technology we have. Sure would save some of us DIYers some stress of missing or doing a step wrong... How did you trim your mudguards underneath? Did you just pull them all the way out or just trim them back?

Here is a photo of how my Jeep is sitting today.

3bd61f3badd17c7c1c6b73094ac495a3.jpg

I'm also in the middle of building an off road trailer to pull behind it. It's taking most my time right now so the jeep has kinda taken a back seat at the moment.

a2da0ac670bf7b258c25d20638ed3750.jpg

I have all the metal cut for the rear Flatlands 4x4 rear bumper. I've been trying to contact them in regards to how the rear tire swing out works. They have no problem selling you the plans but if you ask them a question on what hardware to use to make the rear tire carrier work don't expect a return answer. It has been met with deaf ears. Also I don't know anyone else that has one so no way to ask them how they did it either. They have a photo of one on there website but not sure they even know how that person did it. That must be the issue. But they won't even tell you that...

Last edited:

Capercrew02

Observer
Sorry, my life got busy as well and I've got the rear bumper cut and waiting to be welded still.... When I ordered it all I did talk to the owner of g&g fab( he sells the metal laser cut, and has a deal with flatland to use their plans) he explained that the original design for the tire carrier had some problems and needed some major modifications for a standard swing out carrier bearing. I figure once I've got it built I'll just fab something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach