Need some insight on a Kayak purchase.

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
IMO, you won't get the answer here since there are so many variable that we don't know. First the size should be considered for the waters more than your size, IMO. If you're talking lakes with open areas to cross I would want something longer than 12', more like 16' with a good keel design and rudder. Even at 16' the beam should not be a problem for you to paddle.

I'd suggest you look in the areas to be traveled and see what others use. Go there, rent some and get local opinions for the waters in the area. You need to narrow down your intended use some more too, as to what kind of rivers, class I to III or IV in your area where the right craft for that will not be right for any larger lake.

I'm in the Ozarks and started with a Wilderness Systems 16' single and it tracked very nicely on open waters, even in chop on Lake of the Ozarks. Sailed it on Table Rock Lake and it did fine on the Current River where most would be in an 6 or 8' rocking horse. While not real quick in rapids, it worked and was a good all round kayak.

I would not suggest an inflatable starting off unless portability was really an issue. A rotomold job will be less and will take the hard knocks starting off and give economical performance ofr various uses. IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk