Need some opions biased or not - 99 Grand Cherokee or 96 SR5 Runner ...

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
I've owned many Jeeps and have loved them all. That being said, get the 4runner for all the reasons listed above. If price were the deciding factor, the jeep may win... but since they are both the same price, the 4runner beats the hell out of the Jeep

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Even though I'm selling my 4Runner to buy my Jeep Wrangler, given your 2 choices, I'd choose the 4Runner. I think they're more refined than the Jeeps. Either way though, if you take care of them, you'll get years of good service out of them.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Well, if the jeep is the 4.0L I6 that engine is pretty much like the toyota 22R, indestructible. I don't know if it should sway your decision one way or the other but.. If it's not the I6 then I vote 4Runner.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
wjtoy said:
... I would question those that think the Toyota is far supperior in reliability. The 4.0L engine is a fantastic unit that can last just as long as any toyota...
Take it from someoe who's owned both, Jeep has nothing on Toyota in the reliability dept. A crankshaft sensor just failed/shorted and blew up the ECU on my dad's Cherokee this past week. And I've had numerous 4.0L's just mysteriously "eat" the water pump amog other things. I LOVE the 4l's torque and all, but it's not really a 300K motor like most Toyota's are (3vZ being the exception) not to mention that no mater what you do, you'll never eek 20mpg otu of a 4L. And yeah, Toyotas are just tougher beast's in general. Espescialy when you consider, as has been mentioned here, that all of the comparable SUV's and the one PU in comparision are Uni-Body which leads to a massively decreased lifespan when abused. Sorry, it's not just internet hype, Toyotas really are the holy grail of relaibility. Are they all bullet proof, NO. Are the things that go bad, some, yes. Are they anywhere near the numbers that Jeep sees? Not likely. Go for an LC or an Older Runner/PU and build it to suit. The frame alone on the Older trucks is something to lust after. It looks like it should be under a Domestic 1 Ton.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online