Need tire recommendation - 'E' Rated 285x16

DirtRoads

Observer
Check out the goodyear silent armor with the kevlar belts. They are a little spendy and maybe more road oriented than you are looking for, but I have seen them go for 60-70k+ miles under a half ton 2002 suburban that sees some heavy towing. I have the bfg at's on my silverado, and I'm ready to get rid of them. They're great when they're brand new, but after the initial tread wears off they just don't perform as well as they should. Its a mix of hard to balance, clunky and heavy that just turns me off to them.

Or look at the goodyear duratrak. That will be my next tire, as soon as the backorder lets up.

JRH_PowerWagon_06

The BFG AT's will hold up fine. It's the OEM tire on Power Wagons and the Raptor.

I sold my stock tires (I went taller) to a friend with a Dodge 2500 with the heavy Diesel and they have held up well, and they were only load range D.

Reece04

Observer
X2 on the Goodyear wrangler Silent armor. I have a set on my suburban and they are great, super quite, and great offroad.

I also will second the Hankook Dynapros, we use them on our field trucks at work and they are holding up very nicely. great wear and good offroad traction. they are also probably the cheapest tire that has been mentioned. I would definitely give these a second look.

b wojo

Another vote for the hankook atm10's. have some e rated 285-70/17's on my one ton dodge cummins. so far very smooth(no rebalancing shenanigans) quite as the bfg rugged trails they replaced, good wear (with frequent rotations ie every 4-5000 mi) and a good warranty only thing is they are made in cha cha cha china... by a korean company. if thats not an issue for you i highly recommend them.

jeeperaz

Observer
Another vote for the hankook atm10's. have some e rated 285-70/17's on my one ton dodge cummins. so far very smooth(no rebalancing shenanigans) quite as the bfg rugged trails they replaced, good wear (with frequent rotations ie every 4-5000 mi) and a good warranty only thing is they are made in cha cha cha china... by a korean company. if thats not an issue for you i highly recommend them.

Thanks. I'll probably go this route. I've been reading a most of the diesel msg boards and these tires are getting numerous positive reviews from guys who tow.

hill1066

I have an 02 2500 4x4 Suburban. I have had, in the same size, but load range D, GY MTR's (2 sets) and BFG MT's (1 set). I now have a set of Firestone Destination MTs, load range E. I have put approximately 3k miles on them. They seem quieter than the GY/BFGs and did just as well, if not better on my one off-road trip so far. I went into the George Washington National Forest and had zero traction issues. If you shop around, they cost around $185 per tire.

805gregg

Adventurer
I don't want to experiment, so I run BFG 315 AT's on my 3500 Dodge and 245 BFG's on my Jeep, I drive fast and hard so I only get about 30,000 but thats fine for me.

1leg

Explorer
Installed some Hankook 285/75 16 E ATMs today. I'll post some picks tomorrow. After mail in rebate it will be around $740 for 4 installed with road hazard warrenty. First time for Hankooks and Pep-boys so will see how it turns out. :coffeedrink: :coffee: :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk