New 2001 Pathy, Need Some Advice

Fwizzle

Well I've had my first pathy for about a year. It is a 99 xe w/out 4 wheel drive. I loved the car, but I knew deep down inside that I needed a 4x4. So I worked my *** of this summer and bought a 01 pathfinder se. Its in really good condition, but I need to make it more off road capable. So if there is anyone out there that can help me, please let me know. I was thinking of getting warn manual locking hubs to improve gas milage first. I also want to lift the car a solid 2 inches by using strut spacers in order to fit 31 or 32 tires on it. Is this a good idea or should I do something else?

bushnut

Adventurer
my friend you need to visit NPORA (nissan pathfinder off road association) , everything you need to realize your dreams and build your Pathfinder into an off road rig is there. from mild to wild. lots of good guys with more how to than you can point a stick at.
the R50 is quite capable in stock form. By adding good AT or MT tires it gets even better.
there are a few good build threads here as well. use them as a guide.
first things first I would make sure that everything mechanical has been delt with. Fluids, filters, plugs etc....have you checked the rusty strut tower problem? like I said search and read through the NPORA threads.
Most of us R50 owners are members there as well.

marty1977

Adventurer
Congrats on the new truck and ditto on what these guys ^ said. I did learn a lot reading all the build the threads. Like many people said you need to know how and where you will be using your truck and make mods from there :)

quaintbucket

Observer
I would do the full tune up for sure. Spark plugs, wires, dist. cap, dist. rotor, fuel filter, air filter, clean mass air flow sensor, etc. It will make your pathfinder run a lot better.

I wish I had done it a long time ago.

e: I would do the locking hubs before I do any lifts.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Oh boy, we get asked this several times a month it seems. Look through my thread, Stioc's, and Weekender41's and that should pretty much set you up for success. Check out NPORA for more detailed information.

Good luck

Fwizzle

Thanks everybody or your help so far. I will probably do what quaintbucket said first (work on maintanance and get warn locking hubs). I'm still not sure what to do with the lift. I read Stioc's build and he said that he wished he did a 2inch spacer with softer springs than his spring lift, but what do you guys think? Spacer lift or spring lift? Lets say I decide to do the spring lift like this one https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-suspension-package-p-1553.html. It requires 3.75 negative wheels, so I wouldn't be able to use my stock ones?

bushnut

Adventurer
I just used my stock wheels. and I've done a combined spring and spacer lift. Iron Man springs all around with Canadian made NX4 aluminium and 4x4 designs hdpe (plastic) spacer sandwiched together up front. Though I will be installing limit straps because at full droop I'm worried about my CVs binding.

Fwizzle

I just used my stock wheels. and I've done a combined spring and spacer lift. Iron Man springs all around with Canadian made NX4 aluminium and 4x4 designs hdpe (plastic) spacer sandwiched together up front. Though I will be installing limit straps because at full droop I'm worried about my CVs binding.
Can you give me a link to the iron man springs? How high is your lift and tire size? Any pic? Sounds like a pretty mint truck to me

bushnut

Adventurer
I've got a build thread at NPORA (bushnut's R50) check in the members rigs section.
Not sure who is selling Iron Man in the USA these days. You could go with Old Man Emu as well.

Fwizzle

I've got a build thread at NPORA (bushnut's R50) check in the members rigs section.
Not sure who is selling Iron Man in the USA these days. You could go with Old Man Emu as well.
I read it earlier today and man it's sick. IMO the Lego wheels look good on the truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy