New Adventure Trailer + Story Pt 2 of 3

TheMike

Adventurer
Continued from Part 1....

Every group we passed wanted to check out the trailer.

HPIM0938.jpg

This is where things got interesting. If you know of the White Rim you are probably wondering how on earth anything weird can happen there. Well a fluke really.

In the middle of nowhere was a puddle of water/mud right in the center of the trail. Most were going around it since it would be a real sticky, throw everything around, kind of mud. I went around the puddle on the left side. There was maybe a 6-8” incline on the side of the road that the Jeep and trailer were going to ride on to go around the mud. The Jeep went around then the trailer followed. In the center of this small incline was a bolder. When the left trailer tire hit this bolder it bounced the trailer over on it’s side in a right tumble.

HPIM0977.jpg

We tried to roll it back over manually but 2100 lbs all pivoting on one tire proved too hard for us men!

HPIM0980.jpg

We used a synthetic winch line to wrap the trailer and pull it on its wheels. You can also see the bolder that the left tire hit. Also note that the trailer didn’t roll forward after it started to roll over. Even though I was driving very slowly forward it flipped real fast!

HPIM0983.jpg

HPIM0986.jpg

HPIM0988.jpg

Nothing inside the trailer seemed to move at all. I am pointing to the cooler in the left rear that leaked when it was inverted. After the fender impacted the ground the tent then took the full weight. As a result of this:

Damages:

Right fender got tweaked a bit.
The riser support brackets for the rack got pushed/bent toward drivers side.
The rack rails on the top of the roof were pulled and bent by the riser brackets.
Lid is a tad pulled as a result of the riser/rail getting pulled.
Tent cover got one scrape/hole in the front upper corner.

Not Damaged:

Trailer Tub
Lights
Tent

We were back on the trail within a minute or two of righting and checking the trailer over. The rest of the Maob part of the trip went great.

On the way home though was another story. The left wheel bearing ate itself. $100 and 160 miles later it was as good as new.

HPIM1083.jpg

After getting home 4 hours late, cleaning up the “loaner”, the Jeep, and the gear, and waiting for a week, my trailer was ready to ship to me.

There was nothing lacking in the “loaner” trailer. It was an earlier design and since the trailers have been upgraded and improved though. These items aren’t on the company web site but was rather emailed to me by Mario (AT President).

1- Upgrade to Paint Locked surface treated sheet metal body panels vs. conventional cold rolled sheet
2- Improved air spring mounts with lengthened gussets and ¼” steel vs. 3/16” steel
3- One piece tailgate frame vs. four piece
4- 10 gauge battery charge wiring vs. 14 gauge
5- Rancho RS 9000 shocks with .710 thick piston rod vs. the Rancho RSX with a .625 thick piston rod
6- Waterproof electrical butt splice connectors used on tail light and brake wiring vs. conventional insulated butt splices
7- Trailing arm pivot rod mounting plates thickened to 3/8” vs. ¼”
8- New proprietary camber and toe in adjustment feature vs. none
9- Pivot rod material changed to 165,000 psi Stress Proof steel vs. 85,000 psi cold rolled steel.
10- Lid bulb seal upgraded from 5/8” x 3/8” to 7/8” x ½”
11- Rivets upgraded from aluminum to stainless steel
12- Lock and Roll coupler is zinc plated for corrosion rather than painted
13- Neoprene is now used between the fender and body to reduce coating abrasion from grit
14- Roof rack system has been upgraded from Surco to the Thule product line with nationally available accessories

Lots of little things that make a huge difference in the durability of the product. Anyway, I am not the most patient of individuals so I was constantly calling Mario about updates and such on my trailer. He was happy to send me pics of my trailer in the build and ship process.

Frame/suspension wiring was first to be done

P1010042.jpg

Now the body assembly

P1010046.jpg

Just about done

P1010040.jpg

On to part 3...

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
It's was interesting that Mike's bearing failure was very unusual in that it the hub itself failed. This is very uncommon in comparison to "normal" bearing failures where the hub is intact and the bearing and race completely disintegrate.

In Mike's case it looks like the hub failure caused the bearing to go.

The trailer Mike was borrowing was from an early production run. We have since changed all of our hubs and spindles to US made Dexter components as all steel is not made equal.

TheMike

Adventurer
Hey Martyn. Thanks for filling that part in. I wanted to elaborate without going too far into things. I guess I should have said that the mechanical issue had no part to do with your construction or build. Sorry you had to fill in those blanks.

Boring read huh since you have seen all those pics and read the stroy before. :)

Mike

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
cruiseroutfit said:
So how was the phone call to Martyn :D

Which call, the, "Martyn, I was just driving along and the trailer flopped over" or the, "Martyn, I was just driving along and the hub broke"? :shakin:

Mike, great looking trip and congrads on the new AT. Martyn and Company are the finest guys around and build a great product to boot!

Martyn

When ever Mike calls you know it's going to be an interesting call !!

The first call made that falling feeling in my stomach. Not so much that Mike had rolled the trailer (and he seemed very proud of it !!! :) ), but that the trailer belonged to Clint, one of our company reps. A sort of "How do I explain this to Clint feeling."

The second call on the bearing failure was more surprising as Clint is very proactive in his maintenance and this is usually something that happens to people who forget to grease the bearings for a couple of years.

What really amazed me was I made a single call to our shop and they gave me all the parts needed for repair plus cross references for all the parts numbers.

Mike won't admit it but I think he really enjoyed the adrenaline rush he got from the roll over and bearing failure. It broadens his story telling capacity around the fire.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
"You have to have experiences like these in order to have good campfire stories."
-- BilliJo Garcia to the ~1/2 dozen sub-tweeners with her in the out of fuel boat drifting down the Sacramento River Shipping lane.......

TheMike

Adventurer
ntsqd said:
"You have to have experiences like these in order to have good campfire stories."
-- BilliJo Garcia to the ~1/2 dozen sub-tweeners with her in the out of fuel boat drifting down the Sacramento River Shipping lane.......
Kind of why I wanted to share the experience with others - as well as promote a great product!

TheMike

Adventurer
Oh, come on now Martyn. You are going to give people the wrong idea about me. I definitely wasn't proud of the roll and the adrenalin rush was more of a realistic concern of me figuring out how to get the trailer back home 170 miles from the end of a 3 week adventure (not to mention getting it back to Clint). I had to be to work in 4 hours and we were 75 miles away from the nearest place that MIGHT have parts (back the way we came). You do the math and the timing.

Not that it matters now, theatrics aside, I only made one call that covered both events. I just happened to mention the roll in the same conversation as asking for assistance on the hub. I knew the trailer didn't belong to you so there wasn't much need to at the time. It just sort of came out as I summarized the excitement of the moment as it overflowed to the other events of the trip. Alot in a short period of time. I wouldn't change any of it.....ok...maybe I would miss that rock and go throught the mud :)

I know that you install nothing but the best parts. I was concerned at the time of the hub failure that the hub was a specialized component for your trailers and I was more than a litte concern of spindle damage. I know now that you strive for the best OFF THE SHELF parts so finding replacements is just a matter of going to the correct parts vendor. The damn trailer is so stout I never thought that going to a trailer supply store for something like a hub was the correct remedy.

To your credit, it's only been exactly 4 months from the very 1st phone call to you on starting the purchase process to today. In that time I went back and forth on color choices, added/removed options many times, asked more questions than I am sure Mario wanted to deal with, got the "rental" trailer, had it in my posession for a month for 3 great trips, returned it to Clint, then got mine delivered to me.

I am rambling now. I know there is no shortage of compliments and good words about what Mario and Martyn put out at Adventure Trailers. I really just wanted to share my experiences so far. All good from them even when it's my bad!

Last edited:

Martyn

Mike

I went back and edited my original post and added a smiley face. My humor was lost in the type face :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Good times and better stories, I'm glad it faired out well :D

Mike did you try telling him the wind blew it over? :chowtime:

TheMike

Adventurer
No but there were 4 Toyotas that were behind me that watched it flip. They said I couldn't do that agian if I tried (they don't know me very well) and thought it was the best sales idea yet. Tell AT I flipped it but propably sold 4 units because of it. I am sure they were all talk. Hey Martyn....I want a kick back if they do buy. I haven't received the repair bill yet from Clint so I might need some help :)

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
TheMike said:
This is where things got interesting. If you know of the White Rim you are probably wondering how on earth anything weird can happen there. Well a fluke really.

In the middle of nowhere was a puddle of water/mud right in the center of the trail. Most were going around it ... There was maybe a 6-8” incline on the side of the road that the Jeep and trailer were going to ride on to go around the mud. The Jeep went around then the trailer followed. In the center of this small incline was a bolder. When the left trailer tire hit this bolder it bounced the trailer over on it’s side in a right tumble.

HPIM0977.jpg

Maybe that's why you're not supposed to drive around puddles on White Rim Trail. TREAD LIGHTLY, BUTTHOLE! :D

MichaelW

Observer
Although I agree with the whole stay on the trail concept and how people that are not doing so are giving ammo to those that want to close our trails, especially in Moab..... And that this was a good point to bring up.....

However....

I have another question as it pertains to this.

I too am having a trailer built and I really, really thought long and hard and gave serious consideration to Adventure Trailers but I have to ask. What is the side hill angle that an unladen AT trailer will flip? I say unladen as obviously someone loading cotton on the bottom and lead bricks on top will really mess with this equation. But it seems to me and I don't know how deep the hole was but this wasn't that much of an angle and certainly not one I'd expect to flip a trailer.

And yes I know that any trailer can flip and I'm just asking a question. Is it the narrow track width or ??? I realize that this is a drawback to any off road trailer as we are using a design to get as much ground clearance as possible and sacrificing some stability in doing so.

I know when I get my trailer I will use a fork lift to find at what angle it wants to flip over as many of the trails I run have some pretty good side hills and it would be good to know in advance when to expect to be putting the trailer back on its wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater