New American Made Trailer

skibum315

Explorer
Congrats on the new status, Bob.

Folks: I got to crawl around on the prototype back in April, when Bob was on his way to the Kokopelli Trail ... and let me tell you this thing is the real deal. It looks like it's probably not going to work out for our young family, in it's current form, but when Bob's ready for v2.0 with a 2nd (interior/pop-up) bed ... at the Mrs' request; I have a design waiting. ;)

Cheers to you, Sir. :friday:

rockman

Adventurer
I would love to see the V2

Cheers

Congrats on the new status, Bob.

Folks: I got to crawl around on the prototype back in April, when Bob was on his way to the Kokopelli Trail ... and let me tell you this thing is the real deal. It looks like it's probably not going to work out for our young family, in it's current form, but when Bob's ready for v2.0 with a 2nd (interior/pop-up) bed ... at the Mrs' request; I have a design waiting. ;)

Cheers to you, Sir. :friday:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Nice trailer, Bob.

I can't find dims on your website though. How big is the bed? That's always my problem, being a tall guy, and the reason we had Little Guy build ours.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
The bed area is 80 inches long, 50 wide. I can make it a couple of inches longer if need be, not a problem, it does run a little more due to the steel and the main back bone, my guess would be couple of hundred total. I have 4 more inches of fiberglass before I have to have two sheets so that would fit.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Currently it is 75 to 80 inches, but could make it up to two inches longer. Main frame would change as the back bone would have to be longer to form the support for the 35 gallon water tank. Fiber glass would be could as I have 4 more inches to play with on it before I have to go to two sheets, my guess is a couple of hundered bucks.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks; 82" would be an improvement but 50" wide would mean solo camping for me. It's not easy to be this size.

The Little Guy is doing us fine right now but we're always looking for what's next in the garage.

someday

Adventurer
Thanks; 82" would be an improvement but 50" wide would mean solo camping for me. It's not easy to be this size.

The Little Guy is doing us fine right now but,,,QUOTE]

These look awesome, but I agree with Hilldweller, 50" wide would be a little tight. We have a 5 wide little guy (58" wide) and its a little tight (but doable) with me, wife, and two dogs.

Cant wait to see more pics.
:)

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
The Wolfcreek Pack has a tent system that goes with it that allows for 5 to sleep. Not inside but all attached.

Getting wider, takes away the trail worthiness of the trailer. I also use a Restava memory foam mattress, I am over 200 pounds and the wife is not tiney either. We have no problems sleeping in it as we never seem to move around on the mattress.

I could make them wider, but would have to use smaller tires, which does away with running the same size as the tow vehicle.

I has seriously thought about making it wider, but after taking it on some tough trails, made the decision that it was as wide as it could be and still call it an off road trailer, capable of any trail.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The Wolfcreek Pack has a tent system that goes with it that allows for 5 to sleep. Not inside but all attached.

Getting wider, takes away the trail worthiness of the trailer. I also use a Restava memory foam mattress, I am over 200 pounds and the wife is not tiney either. We have no problems sleeping in it as we never seem to move around on the mattress.

I could make them wider, but would have to use smaller tires, which does away with running the same size as the tow vehicle.

I has seriously thought about making it wider, but after taking it on some tough trails, made the decision that it was as wide as it could be and still call it an off road trailer, capable of any trail.
I understand the constraints you're working with ---- and I've drawn half a million of my own...

The teardrop I have now has a 69"x80" bed. My dream bed would be 72"x84". I only weigh 230 but I'm really wide across the shoulders and the height is something that just won't go away.

In my "vision" I have the wheels tucked inboard. The fridge sits behind that. The bed is above the wheels; that's what keeps it narrower.
Between the wheels you can put batteries, water. In front of the wheels but still below the bed you can have drawers for clothes. Next to the fridge you've got food, pans, etc.
I tried the sink thing and it didn't work back there; my dream trailer will have an exterior-mount sink. I'd rather just have food, stove, propane, fridge, etc in back.
And here's the kicker --- about 2" of space at the very front so you can sit on the bed and get dressed. Open up those drawers underneath the bed for your clothes. This brings the total length of the trailer box to around 11 feet.

Wouldn't be as trailer worthy as yours but most of us aren't really dragging these things over big rocks. I've just got fs roads around here...

Like I said, yours is great. I just couldn't fit in it with the wife and dog.

someday

Adventurer

- Cant wait to see it with the wolf pack tent.

- Completely agree with the importance of running the same size tires as the tow vehicle.

- wider vs. tough trails, once again I agree. I, however, PROBABLY wont ever use it on really tough trails. Ophir pass (Co), Alta Lakes (Co), Canaan loop road (Wv) are probably as bad as its going to see. I would say these trails are slightly harder than most fire roads.

Hilldweller, like your current set up, really digging your ideas for your next. :sombrero:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Again have looked at making the bed above the wheel wells. The number one problem with that is the door opening, it does not leave enough room for the door to be installed, but I will try to see if it can be done.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Again have looked at making the bed above the wheel wells. The number one problem with that is the door opening, it does not leave enough room for the door to be installed, but I will try to see if it can be done.
I wish we lived closer together...
In my head I'm seeing a 2' wide opening all the way toward the front.

Having lived out of this teardrops for several weeks at a time, I'm brimming with more ideas than skills.
That said, teardrops are cool and very very capable for overlanding. It is GREAT to have a secure/dry/comfy bed to come back to after wheeling or hiking all day. And a top-notch galley kicks butt; nothing like some fresh stirfry and cold beer after that hike too.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
The door openings are 24 by 36, on the one I am building now I moved the front nose cone to accomadate the door, I had planned on that. I have the wood on the trailer right now, I will pull it off most likley later this evening and take a closer look. I have had several comment on the width and the lack of space for three or four, that was the reason for the Oztent. The foxwing can be enclosed too.

I do not want to make a normal tear drop outline, I hate the look of them, keep seeing Lucy climbing out of it.

If I made one that way it would be custom order and the time to build/design would have to be compensated for.

Jon at All Pro had suggested the exact same thing. I have kept saying all along I give more space than the roof top tents that people are clamoring about. Hard to figure what people want and build it.

I am listening. If you guys have not seen the Skersfan/shuttle pod build you should look at it. That will show you finished product. Or go to the web site, www.aspenXtrails.com you can see it there and on one of the tougher trails in SoCal.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Not much room to move the door farther forward, and the fenders are only 3 inches above the tire, with a 5 inch frame and 6 inch drop in the axle. With a 24 X 36 inche door it leaves just exactly 1 inch to the roof of the trailer, with and 8 inch Restava mattress you could not set up in the trailer with out banging your head on the roof. Makes the trailer only good for sleeping and a pain in the bottom to get in and out of .

To do it and make it wider for sleeping the trailer would need to be 72 inches wide and at least 65 inches tall from the frame. Also right now the base of the sleeping quarters is 75 inches with the front point going out another 10 inches, the trailer would need to be a good 12 foot long to accomadate the two foot in front and with the slanted front you would still be banging your head I think.

I would consider building one during the winter, but it would have to be a play build, not promises on how quickly I could do it as it would be a total redesign of a trailer.

Let me know, but my guess is you would be talking over 25K for it to have the options that I currently have in the trailer.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
You see Lucy climbing out and I see an old geezer we called Goofy. I'd say he was the original off-road teardrop user going to Baja back in the 60's. He'd pull his TD behind his CJ and go exploring
Baja for weeks at a time, alone. Carried a 12' rowboat on the Jeep. One time he set out in Scammons Lagoon to see the whales and did not return until late the next day. His traveling buddy thought he'd been swallowed by a whale like Jonah. Goofy replied he was just communing with the whales and lost track of time. Many times during the night the whales almost upset his little boat scratching their backs on the keel.

Old Goofy was a real curmudgeon and surely would roll over in his grave at what we think is needed in an off-road trailer these days.

Sorry for stealing this thread but a little teardrop history seemed in order at the mention of Lucy's name.

Ace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater