New Bike Recommendations

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the continued thoughts guys, there is a pretty steep learning curve with mountain bikes these days.

I definitely care more about fun than speed, but I'm no further along in my decision making process. I had to cancel my demos this weekend because my 3 year old had a fever :( I really like the idea of getting a bike that can run 27+ and 29 - that flexibility seems pretty sweet.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've never ridden a BG. Considering your statement, I probably shouldn't either, as I will likely never look at my Mukluk the same again...
It's a different animal entirely. I had a Mukluk and liked it. Loved it, actually. The BG, with carbon rims, is pretty nutty.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the continued thoughts guys, there is a pretty steep learning curve with mountain bikes these days.

I definitely care more about fun than speed, but I'm no further along in my decision making process. I had to cancel my demos this weekend because my 3 year old had a fever :( I really like the idea of getting a bike that can run 27+ and 29 - that flexibility seems pretty sweet.
It is pretty sweet, but don't forget a second set of hoops, once shod with rubber and fitted with a cassette, will easily set you back $750. Cheaper than a second bike, for sure, but a lot of cabbage for a wee bit of variance in footprint.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm sure GT has something for you, have a look:

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en
In the late 80s and early 90s I would have said, hell yes. They had the Ti Zaskar which was a killer rig. In the mid 90s I would have said, mmmmmmaybe. Their thermoplastic bikes were interesting. In the late 90s I would have said, run far, far, far away with their funky rear suspension pivot. In the 2000s, when they got acquired by a cigarette manufacturer and sold in department stores I would have said, no way. Hard to tell where they are now other than still fighting to catch up with the third tier brands.

JJEH

In the late 80s and early 90s I would have said, hell yes. They had the Ti Zaskar which was a killer rig. In the mid 90s I would have said, mmmmmmaybe. Their thermoplastic bikes were interesting. In the late 90s I would have said, run far, far, far away with their funky rear suspension pivot. In the 2000s, when they got acquired by a cigarette manufacturer and sold in department stores I would have said, no way. Hard to tell where they are now other than still fighting to catch up with the third tier brands.

Okay, nevermind then. You know way more about that brand than I do...

onebadscrambler

They are owned by Dorel Group ( http://www.dorel.com/eng/ ), not to be mistaken with Doral cigarettes ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doral_(cigarette) ).
Don't know of any GT bicycles being sold in department stores. I do know that Dorel allows the sale of cheap Schwinn and Mongoose bicycles in department stores, GT bicycles can be found at Performance Bicycle, which is a national chain, but I do not consider them a department store.

For the original question, I would look at all of the major brands as they have pretty similar models. All brands have good bikes. If they did not, they would cease to be in business.

dman93

Adventurer
I would echo the advice of another poster to pick, or at least narrow down, the bike shop. I am not that familiar with EDH but maybe you're even lucky to have a shop near trail heads that will let you demo on single track. Or come down to Santa Cruz where both Santa Cruz Bikes and Ibis provide low-cost demo rides with proceeds going to our local trails and awesome single track a short ride from their offices. Anyway, we narrowed down to four good local shops that sell Trek, Norco, Ibis, Specialized, Salsa and Niner. arrows it down further to the two local brands ( not really a logical decision). All the shop guys recommended 29-ers for us based on our riding styles and skills, though this was last year so 27.5+ wasn't big yet. We test rode quite a few 27.5's but in the end we both got mid-travel 29-ers, different brands and builds for my wife and I based on priorities and preference. Very happy with our choices (Tallboy C and Ripley, newer version but not LS). But I ride with a 60 year old guy in a 29" Giant who kicks my butt uphill and down, so in the end, pretty much any modern bike is pretty good. Have fun!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As a teenager I had a GT Timberline and it was okay.
After changing fork, stem, handle bar and pedals I loved it. It took me anywhere until my legs ran out of juice.

I'm sure GT has something for you, have a look:

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en

I have a 87 Tequesta in its 3rd rebuild. Its the kid hauler, pannier holder, farmers market / camping / beach mule today.
In the past 7yrs I dont think its been under 60lbs packed weight everytime I ride it.

My trail rig is a Alumimum 29er Zaskar, I picked it up on sale two yrs ago. Good value for the clams. Im a hard tail guy. The floaty big fancy suspension stuff just doesnt do it for me. I like to feel the trail so I know when Im in contact vs not. LoL

I dont ride enough today to justify the $3000-$6000 MT bikes. If I had that I'd get a Honda 250 dualy.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
By the way Santa Cruz was sold. I know one of the key players it was a really, really hard decision. Some of the key players are still involved so I think the brand will continue building good stuff for a while. But its always sad to see our local home grown NorCal iconic brands bought up by larger conglomerates.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The GT brand went into the dumper for many yrs. But just in the last few years they seem to be going back to the old play book, with solid nothing fancy frames, and good value durable starter components. The geometry they use also seems like a nice combo for new riders and average weekend warriors. Thats why I ended up with another GT. Just fit nice, rides nice, and was a good mix of value in a price range that didnt involve handing my man parts over to be stored in my wifes hand bag.

dman93

Adventurer
By the way Santa Cruz was sold. I know one of the key players it was a really, really hard decision. Some of the key players are still involved so I think the brand will continue building good stuff for a while. But its always sad to see our local home grown NorCal iconic brands bought up by larger conglomerates.
Santa Cruz Bicycles was sold to a large Dutch company which has an interesting automotive history, owns at least one other premium US bike brand and also has some links to the Monterey Bay region as well. We'll see how it goes, but SCB had started to outgrow their "small local" roots and it's probably good for them to have more access to capital. I spoke with an employee recently and they said it was all good so far. I do know I love my bike!

spagthorpe

Observer
Your short list is close to mine. My last bike was a 29er, and I don't see any reason to change. I started my quest after seeing the Trek Stache 5, and after I rode it, I started riding a little bit of everything. I had narrowed to the Giant Trance, until I rode the Trek Fuel EX 7. I know the EX8 is a better bike in several ways, updated frame, better shock and other parts, ability to run the + sizes. I just don't think I'd end up every actually running the + sizes. I might just save the cash and go with the 7. If I'm really upset with part of it down the road, I can mod it.

Ramon Disalvo

WEll you can go for the Triban 300 Road Bike, White but if you are going to compare, i think you will get some better choice. Like you can check out Schwinn Men’s Phocus 1400 700C Drop Bar Road Bicycle. I found it very flexible. I have one this Schwinn Men’s Volare 1200 700C Flat Bar Road Bicycle. This light, modern incarnation of the iconic original Volare, retains the same quality craftsmanship and elegance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach