New Expo Rig for me!!

ntxtrooper

Observer
How did you lift the front end?

I have just began making modifications to my 99 Trooper. Bought some new rubber. I plan on ordering some manual hubs and shocks by end of the month.

Wish some of you were closer for some trail running.

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
ntxtrooper said:
How did you lift the front end?

I have just began making modifications to my 99 Trooper. Bought some new rubber. I plan on ordering some manual hubs and shocks by end of the month.

Wish some of you were closer for some trail running.

Thus far I have adjusted the torsion bars 6 full turns for a total of 1.5 inches increased ride height. You do have some options other than this however depending on the year of your truck. You can flip the upper ball joint and install a spacer for some lift, as well as adjusting the bars. There are replacement torsion bars as well but the do not provide additional ride height over stock they simply increase the spring rate. Which is really nice for bumpers, winches etc... or if yours are worn and sagging. I would also recommend a shock upgrade I am running OME shock on all 4 corners. As far as the rear mine is lifted with 929 springs and 1 inch spacers with OME shocks as well. Additionally you can change out the sway bar busings for a better ride . There are also shorter bump stops for the front in the event you go with the torsion bar adjustment route.
If you are really feeling bold there are also replacement lower and upper links for the rear and tie rods for the front that address some of the known weaknesses in the suspension and steering. But those are nice to haves not mandatory.

I would look at this http://www.independent4x.com/category.html?UCIDs=1016330

You can also install a small body lift to clear larger tires as well.

If you look at the 2 door in the picture behind my car you can see that truck is on 35" tires with 3 inches of suspension and 1 inch of body lift. It has some serious trimming of the fenders to do yet to make the tires functional but it is possible to make it work.

HTH

ENDO

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
Hatfield said:
What did you do with those wheels? I'd take them off your hands if you don't want them.

I would be happy to part with them, not for free but I think we can reach a reasonable price.

ntxtrooper

Observer
Endo - Thanks for the suggestions.

Right now I need shocks and will go with Emu shocks. Later I may look at independent4x 1.5 inch Lift.

Thanks.

independent4x

i told him that it was a bad idea to buy a trooper

i am a terrible influence.................looks like we will be giving this truck a serious once over in the next few months. i can see it being in the shop quite a lot

:jumping:

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
IMGP3026.JPG

Joanne

Adventurer
Hi all,

I'm not trying to highjack this thread but I figure you guys will know the answer to my question. My '99 trooper is going on 100K. I just changed out the O2 sensors and am happy with the improvement in drivability. (what a pain to change them though!)

I've had it serviced regularly but I haven't had the timing belt changed yet. Have any of you changed your own timing belt? I'm not certain I want to shell out the $1,000 to $1,500 to have it changed so I'm thinking about doing it myself. I'm getting ready to read through the manual, but I'd like some advice from those of you who have been down that path.

Thanks in advance!
Joanne

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Joanne, PM independent4x and start a new thread. That would be great information that deserves its own thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3