New Gen 3 Montero Limited!!!

ahmetclayton

Hey everyone,
I'm Clay. I'm pretty new to the forum. I chatted with Tony and Aaron before the buy so I was pretty confident with my choice. I finally bought my Gen 3 about 2 weeks ago but just got the chance to post it. I absolutely love it. It is definitely an upgrade from my previous montero sport. I have to say I hit a goldmine with this one. It's a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited with 83,000 miles. Garage kept. Extremely clean. New tires( Even though they are pretty crappy). And the best part is it was serviced at 80,000 miles. New timing and driving belt, engine tune up, transmission fluid change, diff and transfer case serviced, new brakes. The previous owner spent $2300 at the dealer. I paid 11,500 with tax,title and everything else included. I think it was a pretty good buy. Apparently the dude went bankrupt and the car was auctioned...:victory:

Here are some pics...
IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Looks nice. Very clean. Give us a list of your plans and then get out there and enjoy your new truck. I love mine.

ahmetclayton

Thanks Aaron, I'm hoping to get the OME HD kit soon. That's probably the first thing I'll go for. When I have more funds I will go for the 265/75/R16 BFG A/T and after that a warn winch and ARB bumper. It will be a slow build but it will get there. I saw your new ARB bumper by the way. It is amazing! Can't wait to put one on myself. Thanks again for your help before the buy! Cheers Mate!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Anytime, Clay. I would recommend getting tires first. They will fit with out a lift. Then I would say suspension and bumper. If you want to do the suspension first give Wil and Wen a call at Sierra Expeditions, they'll take good care of you. Thanks for the compliments on the bumper, I love the way these trucks look with the ARB bumpers on them.

P.S. I like the monochromatic color scheme of your '02 Limited. It is much better than the chrome clad ones. But I am biased and not a huge fan of chrome. Yours looks really nice though.

Last edited:

ahmetclayton

Yeah, I know. I definitely agree with you on the chrome. The tires that are on it have only been on for 10,000 miles so I don't want them to go to waste. We had snow last week and they did pretty good in 4x4. But they would definitely get stuck in mud. So I figured in the mean time while I'm trying to use up these tires, I can throw on a lift. I heard really good things about sierra expeditions from a couple of guys so I will definitely give then a call sometime soon. In the meantime I'll be exploring country roads :)

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I hear you about the tires, Clay. When I bought mine the tires were brand new and I thought I was going to keep them. But after one trip off-road I was worried about the side wall strenght of the "p" rated tires. I bought new tires and sold the "almost new" tires that were on the truck. I think I got $350 for the 5 tires, it really helped to off set the cost of the new tires. I do agree though, get out and explore and enjoy your truck, you're gonna love it!

seena

Unfortunately, travelling in Colombia is not as safe as it used to be a few years ago, so just a word of caution about my country... Make sure you have a clear itinerary of where you're going. You don't want to get kidnapped or killed so try to stay close to the main cities which are generally safe, even for gringos. When talking to the transportation company make sure they leave your car in a well known port, with easy access to the "Panamericana". We have 2 coasts, Atlantic and Pacific, just like Canada; and if your car is taken to the pacific coast, you're very close to Ecuador, but I'm guessing maybe you'll be taken to the north coast (Atlantic).

I don't know of any ferries that will take you from Panamá to Colombia. There used to be a good service in the 90's, but it only ran for a few years and it's now long gone. Going on foot or in a bicycle is no problem, because you can talk to boat owners and there's always people doing this, but for something this big, I'm not sure.

A few years ago, I met these guys from Argentina: http://www.terra.com.co/amunches/
They were driving a Land Rover from Argentina to Canada and somehow they were able to send their car in a ship to cross the Darién Gap as I met them in Costa Rica. Maybe you can contact them and ask them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk