New guy, just bought a military trailer

Tooner

Observer
Hi all, new guy here. I have spent a few days checking out this site and have taken the plunge and decided to finally build a small expedition type trailer. I found this site while lurking on the T&TTT forum. There was some nice stuff there but I was looking for the types of off road trailers being built on this site. Today I made my first purchase toward that goal. I found a military type trailer while out on an assignment and stopped to take a look. The first thing I noticed was that it was smaller, that is to say narrower than the standard types. The seller seemed to think it was some type of artillery trailer. It is of very sturdy construction. 5X5.5 x 16 wheels, shocks and brakes. I'm towing it home tomorrow and hope to post some pics, maybe some of the more experienced builders out there can help me identify the model. It does have a builders plate.

Tooner

Observer
I was able to track this trailer as Canadian and probably dated to the mid forties. The frame is rock solid but the tub is going to be retired along with some of the no longer useful underpinnings.

Tooner

Observer
Apparently the Brantford division built a lot of aircraft wings for the mosquito as well as making artillery shells and trailers.

Tooner

Observer
Thanks for the link Mark, really good info. The first order of business is to get some cheapie wheels and tires under the thing so I can move it around, the old military tires are done for. The 30 mile tow, which in hindsight was not a good idea, did them in!!

Tooner

Observer
Before I start my project I am making sure of the historical value of this piece. Apparently these artillery trailers are quite rare. If there happens to be a collector out there wanting one I might negotiate a sale. If no one bites in 10 or 15 days I'll stick to plan A and turn it into an expedition trailer. The plan was (is) to first of all get some temporary wheels & tires under the thing. It's stored about 7 miles from my shop which is in the city. Second is to relpace the broken coupler so I can tow it back & forth. Next up is to get it on a diet and eliminate the tub and all the brake equipment. According to the Canadian military specs the unladen weight is somewhere around 280 If I can get around 100 pounds off of it I can reach my under 500 pound goal. I am not a serious off-roader so considering the target finish weight I am leaving out trailer brakes and may even remove a few spring leafs, I would also like to change the wheels to 5x4.5x15's so I can utilize all the same size tires. I'm also considering a Cabela's type tent-cot for my RTT. I have a complete wood shop and I do not weld so it makes sense for me to replace the old tub with a wooden one, not neccessarily the same shape or dimension. I'll take some more pics this weekend and post.

Tooner

Observer
Thanks again Mark. I just want to be sure I'm not destroying history. As a former railroad man who has worked in many museums I can understand the importance of preservation. I can always find another donor chassis.

Tooner

Observer
Well after placing the trailer on auction it is headed back home to Canada. It sold on Friday so now I have to re-think my plans a bit. I'm happy for the collector who is taking on the project of restoration and pleased that another piece of history will be preserved. Now it's on to plan B, not sure what that might be just yet.

Tooner

Observer
Out with the old, in with the old

The Brantford trailer has been sold, it now resides back in Canada where it will be eventually restored. I have since purchased another trailer, the owner says it is a Willys but i'm not sure. The bolt pattern seems to be MoPar and the axle is an early type torsion with external coil springs. The steel is in remarkably good shape and it has a registration. Any guess as to the make?
3Eb3G93F55I45K25H4d5g45c4c6d956c11f42.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz