New guy, just bought a military trailer

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Very nice indeed. I am a big fan of the wood truss lids on these trailers. I like the idea of making it look like metal when it is done, should be pretty kool! Great work!

Tooner

Observer
The platform is taking shape. I made up some 60 or 70 corner braces for the framework and got those installed.
2013-07-12 15.55.41.jpg
Most of them are 11/2" except for the outside corners, those were made at 31/2" to allow for a radius. Attaching the platform to the trusses was a bit of a challenge. After I noodled it a bit I decided to make up some 51/2" discs out of clear pine 3 per truss. I screwed and glued these down at center right & left of each of the four rear trusses.
2013-07-12 15.55.18.jpg
My platform, when completed will attach at 15 locations using 1/4-20 carriage bolts but first I had to install the 1/8" masonite bottom on the platform.
2013-07-14 12.50.25.jpg
Now I can flip it over and install some r-40 rigid foam.

Tooner

Observer
Thanks Greg. This started out as a simple, quick build but like many others on this forum It gets out of control quickly. My latest idea is to fabricate some type of trim for the platform side rails but that can wait, Sunday is my big day; final fitting of all my components to the trailer, plus I get to pitch the tent too!!!:wings:

Tooner

Observer
I picked up this insulation at the big box; 2 sheets 16 bucks. I had just enough to do both halves of the platform.
2013-07-14 13.00.05.jpg
The front half of the platform was built in the same manner except the truss is hinged to the bottom and folds down when the trailer is set to travel.
2013-07-20 14.14.18.jpg
I cut & fit the 1/4"plywood for the top and got it glued and screwed in place,radiused the four corners and made a round over on all the edges. The rear half of the platform was squared to the trusses and pre-drilled for the fasteners.
2013-07-26 15.44.23.jpg
That pretty much brings me up to date on my build so far. I am hoping to start working on the trailer soon; wheel bearings, tires, extend the tongue, new coupler and install the bike rack. Last but not least a chuck box.

Tooner

Observer
Today was huge!!!! My Brother came to the shop around Noon and we loaded up the components for the RTT platform and went up to his house to final fit everything.. This was nerve wracking for me, all I could think of all week was What if my measurements were incorrect? It was killing me. It would have been a lot less stressful If this whole thing was right in my shop. My worries turned out to be completely unfounded however as we lifted the framework to the stake pockets of the trailer it slipped right in perfectly; two hits with the rubber mallet to seat it and done!!!!:Wow1:This picture shows the trailer in travel mode with the platform folded. Excuse the flat tire. I removed the rollers I had on it to get the new rubber mounted.
2013-08-04 13.31.14.jpg
Nothing is final assembled yet so My brother and I moved the panels by hand into place to see the platform deployed and to strength test it. Prior to doing all this I hitched the trailer to the Jeep and tightened down (Or so I thought) the coupler.
2013-08-04 13.33.42.jpg
This is where it gets both educational & funny. I got out the step ladder and put it at the rear of the trailer (First mistake) climbed up and on to the platform; SOLID and I mead SOLID!!!! There was a big smile on my face as I jumped up and down on the platform and I was thinking just how clever I was when the coupler let go. Now I'm about 225 and once the trailer started to tip I went down right on the platform and the whole thing slid to the ground under me. After the dust settled I thought " there goes several weeks of work". Nope. not a scratch on either me or the trailer. I considered that the educational part,I never would have dreamed of that kind of strength test. I did take a chip out of one of my mounting discs but I have several more in the shop. No worries!!
Once my Brother and I got done laughing our a#*es off we decided to pitch the tent.
2013-08-04 13.47.40.jpg 2013-08-04 13.47.54.jpg
I do have an Oasis II that I purchased and eventually that is the tent I will mount but the Eureka was quick & cheap. It will serve until I can figure out all the mounting issues with the OasisII. I noted that it overlaps the platform by about an inch on all sides so I'm going to experiment with some PVC pipe filled with sand & capped for the inside perimeter and some Bungees for the outside four corners:victory:

Tooner

Observer
I was surprised at how quickly, despite not having the platform hardware installed, the whole thing set up. Less than 5 minutes.

Tooner

Observer
Yesterday was my first day back in the shop so I got some time in on the build. I spent most of the day sanding & priming the wheels as well as filling in some of the counter sink holes on the platform. Today will be more of the same, I have about another 300 or so holes to fill & sand and another wheel to sand & prime. This next week has me at home with no assignments so I am planning to remove the fenders and re-pack the wheel bearings. I was thinking of coating the wheel wells and inside of the fenders with one of those roll on bedliner finishes. Any thoughts on product choice?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I like this product, but I spray mine on. Either way it's one of top brands going. http://www.monstaliner.com/

That is what I used as well for my tub inside, the fenders and the inside of the wheel wells on the trailer. The stuff is really really good, very strong adhesion over a good primer (I used POR15). I rolled 2 coats, but as noted you can spray it as well. They sell a kit with a gallon, rollers, brushes etc for a good price. Call them up and they will hook you up with CHEAP shipping usually. Great product and nice to deal with.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Awesome job Tooner! Your woodwork is exquisite... When you're done, you can come up and do the woodwork on my trailer!:elkgrin:

Tooner

Observer
Thanks! I have enjoyed the process thus far and today I got a taste of uncharted waters, at least for me. I have not done any mechanical work for years but today I got out the wrenches and went at it!! It was a good time, I got my old coupler off and was able to evaluate my next move there as well as getting the old tires and wheels off and getting the trailer up on blocks so I can do the wheel bearings. The first set of wheels turned out to be two different widths so I had to block it and see if I can make a set of two wheels out of the four I have. I also had a good look at the fenders which I have decided to remove so I can work on them in the shop, sort of a "rain day" project. I have almost a whole week to get some work done on this build so while my expectations are high I am taking it as they say, "day to day".

Tooner

Observer
I woke up yesterday to pouring rain so I decided that today would be a good day to locate the tubing I need for my tongue modification. I tried a couple of local shops and no go, apparently 2" round tubing is not so common. As long as I was out and about I traveled a bit out of town to a small welding shop. The guy was a fabricator for sure,he had the framework of a monster truck in his shop that was looking pretty sweet. I explained to him what I wanted to do and not only did he have the tubing, in about 10 minutes he fabbed,welded and drilled my new tongue; for 25 bucks:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz