New guy - looking for Tacoma advice

followingariver

Hello,

I have been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now trying to figure out what I want/need in a truck.

I am looking for something that will be a daily driver and used for hauling surf boards up and down the NE coast and kayaks to the river, but would also like something I can put a campertop, flippac or roof tent for mostly car camping. Some longer on road trips to music festivals, far away surf spots, long hiking trials. Truck bed will also be used for hauling yard waste/ helping people move (inevitable with a truck).

Serious off road driving is not a major concern - some driving on the beach and the ability to get around on Vt. backroads during mud season would be nice. Of course I won't complain about having more off-road ability than I need.

I think I like the double cabs. Is there any year/model that stands out or should be avoided? Any features I should make sure to look for? There is an '02 DC TRD off-road advertised in my area with lowmiles that caught my eye. Also plenty of newer models around.

Any help would be appreciated and I've enjoyed all the build threads I've gone through while dreaming of my own truck. Not the most technical guy, so if you can dumb it down for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

- Dave

Caduceus

Adventurer
First off, check out tacomaworld or TTORA for more info.

I'd avoid most of the pre-2004 (aka, Gen 1). they had a big issue w/ frames rusting out, even to the point where Toyota was buying them back. If you plan on hauling much, I'd suggest the long bed - 6 feet long, with another foot or so if you keep the tailgate down. 4x4 would be preferred, I assume? If you're not looking to drop lots of money into the truck, the regular "5-lugger" would probably be OK - it has the 5-lug nut wheels. For some reason, there's a difference when ti comes to after-market parts, with most being for the 6-lug version.

I think there are Tacomas that are 4x4 w/ long beds and non-TRD versions, but they're not super common.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I'd avoid most of the pre-2004 (aka, Gen 1). they had a big issue w/ frames rusting out, even to the point where Toyota was buying them back.

That observation is blown out of proportion and not complete overall.

There are plenty of good first gen's out there to choose from and Toyota has been very responsible to inspect, buy back at 1.5 times BB, replace or treat, and extend the warranties for their frames. Take a close look at the Tacoma you're interested in, have it inspected, and enjoy it if gets a clean bill of health; you may have uncovered a real gem as their value seems to hold pretty steady because of their durability and reliability. Most informed opinions assert that the best years for the Tacoma were the 2001-2002.

Take the opportunity to use the search feature to learn about frame recall experiences of others and see for yourself what Tacoma owners have gone through with the frame recall and form your own opinion. My frame was totally intact, Toyota treated my frame, and treated me well during the process, and I know of no one with similar models who have had to sell back their truck.

You'll see in this same forum another recent thread discussing the merits of different generation Tacoma's.

followingariver

Thanks for the input,

I have been reading the best year tacoma thread and will do more research into the frame rust/ recall issue. Will continue to do my homework.

followingariver

Going to look at Tacoma today, advice

I think I am going to take a look at a 2002 4 door TRD off road with 55K miles. Anything I should no to look for or ask about?

What schedule maintenance should heve been done at this point?

Any pointers are much appreciated.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I think I am going to take a look at a 2002 4 door TRD off road with 55K miles. Anything I should no to look for or ask about?

What schedule maintenance should heve been done at this point?

Any pointers are much appreciated.

I don't think anything really big comes up til 90k. The fluids and whatnot are done every 30k, so it's probably coming due soon. Take a look here: http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/MSTOY02_MS0003/pdf/01omsour/2002/schedule/2002sche.pdf

The truck maintenance schedule starts on page 40. Oh, if I remember right there was also a Toyota Service Bulletin on the ball joints, so you might check to see if those have been replaced.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
make sure its actually a TRD (it will have the locking rear diff)

its super easy to slap a trd sticker on the side and without knowing what came in that package you would never know it didn't have that package.

followingariver

It had the rear locker, thanks grntrdtac.

Truck looked good to me, frame was rust free, truck drove well - interior was so-so.Exterior ws in pretty good shape. Had a plastic "toyota" bed liner. Guy wants 18K for it... looking at NADA and KBB it looks like 16500 is the value, but there is no movement.

Is it crazy to pay this much for this truck? Most of it would be covered by a trade-in that I'm not particularly attached to and I do want this, or a similar truck.

- Dave

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Rear locker...

Take the truck out, put in 4 Low and hit the locker button. Make sure the Locker light comes on solid.... The lockers in northern trucks have an issue with salt water and corrosion (mine did/does) - it's not a lack of maintenance, just an issue. That may give you some negotiating power too.

If you get the truck, do something to protect the frame, I had mine rust proofed yearly...

That is super low miles for that year... I doubt the PO did any maintenance, it wouldn't have needed it. But if you get it, do the fluids (AT fluid too) and you will be good till 100k or so when you do the timing belt. Good luck.

followingariver

Thanks Jay, will check that out. If I do get it I'll follow your advice.

Great photos on your site BTW. Looking at it on my phone, so tough to navigate - can you point me in the direction of some good pics of your '02?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
A few more here

http://roccruisers.blogspot.com

This is just a dumping ground for pictures I post elsewhere.... mainly here...
My build (if you can call it that) is like what you suggest. More of a truck to get me to whatever I am doing, that said, we have slept in the truck for over 50 nights since we got it, I am at almost 14 nights this year already....

austintaco

Explorer
x2 on the AT fluid.

For price, 01-04 DC Tacomas hold their value. Its amazing, and I almost decided to sell mine, but I couldn't bring myself to let her go.

For the record, a truck could be had with the e-locker and not be a TRD. The only other difference would be springs up front and shocks. TRD's had progressive springs and bilsteins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad