New guy! My 1989 Montero

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice. Was the xcase leaking out the front or rear driveshaft? If so, you probably just need new seals. They're a pain to put in though if you don't have the right tool or the right sized socket to push them on.

Hope the new deck comes with a remote. Easiest way i've found to control them especially when on the move. Then again it's a minor thing and having a touchscreen is pretty cool.

As for the door speakers that's not a stock setup for them so it was added aftermarket. When you installed the replacement ones, did you check that your window clears them when fully opened? Some speakers have a huge magnet which interferes with the window moving all the way open. Mine had to be spaced outwards a full 3/4" so the window would still work properly.

HTH.

Zerocool

Yeah, the speakers before had a thin magnet, so when we bought new ones we checked that it cleared. Anyone know where to get the window and door seals( trunk too). The ones on there are old and aren't doing their job so well. And no sadly there was no remote that came with the stereo but it can be controlled over blue-tooth(and play music through it) with my iphone. as for the transfer case, some bolts were loose, when we tightened them and filled it up with oil, hasn't leaked so far. Also anyone know about fender flares, possible ones that go in ( wheel area)?

Zerocool

1981420_10203536896722413_1538270895_o.jpg1980718_10203536894962369_1210837784_n.jpg959125_10203536896962419_1264447679_o.jpg

so I want flares in that one pic of the blue montero. in the other pics you can see the new stereo and speakers in door

Zerocool

So after long time no post, I got some stuff done, and have a few pics to come. I got new tires, and plasti-dipped all the rims, but left the hubcaps chrome, I also repainted the bumper black. And in my storage unit, I had a old folding shovel and I cleaned it up and found that it was a 1944 Us trenching shovel, its currently in the trunk but I want to mount it to my rear door. AND The most important, Most of us have aftermarket radios, me included, but it is uncomfortable to mess with the radios while driving. Well I thought about getting the IR remote and soldering wires to buttons and then placing it on the steering wheel, But it turns out most aftermarket radios (mine too) have a remote connection, which is a headphone port, but it accepts input based on resistance, so 2 wires can control multiple features with multiple buttons, the hard part Im having is finding out what resistances I have to use. I really want steering wheel controls!

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Very cool! My very first vehicle was much the same as yours, only a 2 door. And almost 20 years ago. A great first ride. Welcome! Come Father's Day, you have some making up to do, methinks!

ultrakill

Adventurer
Nice Montero, and nice work so far. Yours and mine could almost pass for twins (minus your roof rack/lights). I purchased my rear ladder off of ebay, it has the same fitment as late 80's Land Cruiser, Fj-60 if I'm not mistaken. paid around 200 with shipping (from Japan or Taiwan).

I would also recommend: Rugged Ridge 15001.43 28 Spline 6-bolt Mount Manual Locking Hub (Amazon P/N: B001FAGL70).

About the 4th or 5th time I went out wheeling, my factory auto hubs got locked up and would not come unlocked. I swapped those for manual hubs since manual hubs are more reliable, and didn't want an issue like that to happen again. Luckily that day I was still able to get home, but I could definitely feel my hubs rubbing. Ever since installing the manual hubs, haven't had an issue and they even look good too!

Last edited:

Zerocool

I read somewhere that they become starved for oil sometimes and have problems, I did grease mine recently, And I like having things auto lol, I'll see how my luck goes, but I did bookmark that, so thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal