New Guy Trailer Build Thread

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
It's never fun to work in 103 degree heat, but progress needs to get done before my next camping trip on Thursday.

The water jug worked great once strapped down and filled with some water. I did have to add a bump stop pad on the cage to make of for the offset of the lower tube, but it lines up perfect and snugs up real tight once strapped down.
2012-07-22_23-07-20_693.jpg

A late night visit to Walmart last night was done after reading some good reviews on this propane grill.
2012-07-22_23-06-23_642.jpg

I was able to test it out by cooking up some brats in the front table. Eventually I will have the 20 lb tank secured on the inside of the trailer, but for now the little bottles will do.

The Hi Lift jack mounted and secured with matching padlocks.
2012-07-22_23-07-06_39.jpg

I'm still laying out how I want to do the inverter and air compressor, but I did figure on having it mounted on the inside of the box and having the wires ran out the side through a grommet for easy access to the battery. For now the lid will be removed when being used, but plans are to find some sort of smaller vents to cut into the side with the intent of keeping it protected from water the best it can be. I also have a retractable extension cord that will be mounting and ran out the side for quick electrical access. Exactly where I want to put it is still being thought out.

2012-07-22_23-06-42_963.jpg

Tomorrow a run to Surplus Center is planned to pick up a few more ammo boxes. The compressor fits perfectly inside of one now, and the accessories can be stored in it too without risking misplacing them.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Just a few accessories and stickers. :) The only other trip planned for sure is the one you should be going on too. Haha. I was thinking of throwing something together for anyone in the Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota area that wanted to get together at Lake McConaughy later this year. Hitting some other parks in the region over a 3-4 day period would be cool to do too. Any interest? :)

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
I'm curious, if I were to have this design manufactured by a local steel fabrication company, would there be any interest in a DIY type kit? I've looked into it some already and have been told that I could easily have everything prebent, lasered, and keyed to fit in the exact position. I'd be sure to have the frame and tongue my own design too so that it is beefier then the HF design. Axle and suspension options could be buyers choice if wanted too. Best of all I could become a vendor on here too. :) I'd even think that there could be an option to have them premade and powdercoated too since the same company has their own welding and powder coating plant. Regardless though, I would love to have the design on file so that it could be made up at any time in a way shorter period of time. :)

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
A few more trips from this year.

Lake McConaughy for our final camping trip of the year. There is nothing like waking up to 28 degree temps and flurries.

2012-10-03_15-57-27_208.jpg

2012-10-03_15-57-52_399.jpg

2012-10-03_16-57-17_482.jpg

2012-10-03_16-57-01_979-1.jpg

2012-10-05_09-25-38_185.jpg

The new trailer setup worked great to haul both for long trips
2012-10-05_09-25-07_84.jpg

44 hours earlier it was 91 and sunny. This picture it was 36 and sleeting on us.
2012-10-05_11-53-14_354.jpg

Kansas farm pond fishing/camping
2012-09-03_10-43-57_226.jpg

2012-09-03_10-25-37_979.jpg

2012-09-02_21-11-36_436.jpg

Burwell, NE camping. Not really roughing it though. :p
2012-07-27_20-23-10_320.jpg

2012-07-27_20-23-44_428.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Excellent! One of my favorite builds.
Looks great with the jeep too.
I like the 2X wheel well steps for the jeep you made on your car hauler trailer.

Any problem with your friend towing tandem ball hitch trailers on the road?

Last edited:

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Thanks and thanks. :p

That trailer is actually my old trailer that I double pulled with earlier in the summer when my new one didn't arrive in time. I was leery about doing it but it ended up pulling smoother then the tent trailer hooked up to my truck since they both kind of move with each other. It pulled perfect behind his too. We just made sure the tongue had some weight on it and wasn't pointing up. If I would have known it worked so well I would have never ordered my new trailer, but was already committed to it by then. Haha.

wingysataday

Adventurer
That trailer could probably withstand an RPG. Why did you even buy a trailer in the first place? You could have just bought an axle and started from there.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
:sombrero: I honestly had no idea what I was doing at the start and wanted a base frame to start off with. It was a great price too, and I did like the box sides it came with. Looking back now it is a no brainer to build the next one from scratch. Seeing how a few others have done theirs, I've got an idea of how the next one is going to be done so I have more storage space and a cleaner look. I still would like to redo the suspension on this one but it suits me fine for what it is getting used for now so no hurry. Some day in the next couple years I would love to be rolling down the road with this setup.

2012-09-14_13-59-46_894.jpg

Thanks again for the compliments. :)

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Now that is just mean and rude all the way around!

You cannot just drop a photo of a half rebuilt Forward Control and not say anything other than someday "I would love to be rolling down the road with this setup."!!!!

What the heck! Trolling or what, tell us more please. Too many people love those old trucks for you not to spill! :D umm.. Did I say Please? PLEASE... Cheers

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Totally LOVE that Forward control in the picture.
Is it yours?

Thanks and yep :)

Now that is just mean and rude all the way around!

You cannot just drop a photo of a half rebuilt Forward Control and not say anything other than someday "I would love to be rolling down the road with this setup."!!!!

What the heck! Trolling or what, tell us more please. Too many people love those old trucks for you not to spill! :D umm.. Did I say Please? PLEASE... Cheers

Sorry, lol. I posted it in the Jeep subforum and had a lot of interest in there too. It's been a couple of years since I bought it, but I'm slowly pecking away on getting it done now. Plans are to either put the SBC stroker motor and custom built 904 transmission from my CJ in it along with a Dana 300, or to buy a crate SBC with a 700r4 and 300 case so it will go down the highway at a decent speed. The guy I bought it from had it sitting in his garage for over a decade and finally decided to give me a call when he decided to sell since I'd been harassing him about it for about as long. He put a Currie built high pinion Dana 44 w/disc brakes and 3:73s in the back and had a Wagoneer 44 front cut down to match in the front. The box had all new metal bent up for it and is completely rust free. It came with a brand new windshield too. Wheels and tires have about 3 blocks on them over the last 11-12 years and hopefully are still good since they have never been in the sun and still have soft rubber. Currently I'm knocking out the dents that were skimmed over and redoing it to my liking. Before final paint I will have a pro do a final go on it and put it in primer while I get everything else done like the brakes, steering, and drive train squared away. As you can see in the picture, there is some rust on the front that needs to be cut out and redone. Same with the floorboards and rear corners too. That's not too bad though considering the condition of most of them now days. I'm only into it for less a thousand bucks too, so even if I put another 8k-9k, it will easily be worth that and then some. It's going to be a long process though with the lack of available OEM parts and all the fabrication that has to be done to see if the aftermarket stuff works. It will all be worth it though, hopefully sooner then later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach