New Home

BurninVeg

Sorry about the long delay...there has been quite a few complications along the way.

The truck is now running a pressure WVO system vs a vacuum system. I originally converted it using a typical vacuum system with 2 valves, but could not get it to stop sucking air into the lines. After weeks of frustration I ripped it apart and went to a pressure system using the mech. lift pump for both fuels.

Here are a few pictures of the veg system. If anyone is interested in the system please let me know...I have many hours research finding the proper metric/an fittings for the pump/filter housing. They are not the easiest to find.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Along the way I have had pretty much the entire front end rebuilt including a new steering box, and added a Luke's link to the track bar for added strength. The Luke's link is a rebuild kit to rebuild tie rods. It is actually pretty sweet. Instead of replacing the link in the future, all you need to do is add spacers and re-tighten.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hopefully we can get to the fin stuff now...It's amazing how much actually needs to go into a vehicle just for basic preparation before all of the add-ons can come into play.

Next we will be focusing on a heavy duty rack, custom rear gate/tire mount to replace tailgate. I will also be fabricating a new VO tank to fit under the sleeping deck.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Cool buildup! I appreciate the effort to run the veg. I have done some blending in my truck and it worked out really well. The fuel flexibility of the diesel is great.

BurninVeg

Thanks for the encouragement, we are 1 month and counting till we leave with so much left to do!!

Yes, running veg will definitely be a challenge but it is such a cool feeling knowing you are running on recycled oil. I think it will be worth all of the trouble. Right now I drive about 200 miles a day to and from work, and I only pay about $15-20 a week in diesel...you can't beat that.

So, I have been bouncing the idea of removing the tailgate and creating a locking door hinged one one side. I saw a picture of one in a thread a while back, but can't seem to find it again.

I think removal of the tailgate would ease the knees getting in and out everynight. It will also allow us to lock the back since the tailgate doesn't lock right now. I would like to mount the spare to the gate as well.

The only disadvantage I can see is that we would loose the insta-table/seat that a tailgate creates. It may also draw more attention but who cares, the gate will have the heaviest duty lock I can find.

Any ideas/suggestions? When I get some time I will draw up what I had in mind.

Also, on another note, I will be fabricating a 50-60 gal aluminum tank for the back. Does anyone know what the difference is between the different types of aluminum besides price? The place I will be ordering the sheet from will not offer advice on which type to pick (liability issue). Will it matter if I opt for the cheaper aluminum if it's the same gauge? I figure vegetable oil can't do too much damage to aluminum no matter what type, but maybe I'm wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy