New Jeep, Sport S or Rubicon?

greater mn

This has been asked before, so search a bit for some more detail. But here are my thoughts. We went from a reasonably modified YJ to a JKUR. Don't just think about what you plan to do wheeling-wise, but also driving wise. In other words, I thought it was much easier to already have all the comfort stuff in the Rubicon than it is in a Sport. These are things like heated seats, upgraded stereo, steering wheel controls, etc. If these are not important to you (they were to us) then move forward as you see fit.

Next is something no one has mentioned: the T case. 4 to 1 is NIGHT AND DAY from 2.73 to 1. My YJ was a 4 banger with 33s and I regeared to 4.88. This brought the Jeep back to basically stock gearing- if not a touch shorter. This was great for drivability, but in gnarly stuff I still had to slip the clutch, use the hand throttle, and bulldog just a bit despite being fully locked front and rear.

X2

I have a 2013 JKUR that was delivered last month... I would go with the rubi for the Tcase and 4.10 gears even if those were the only benefits. But as other pointed out you get the upgraded comfort stuff, and lockers and front swaybar disco's. All worth the price IMHO. Plus you have a very capable vehicle stock... so you can spend any extra $ on lights, racks, etc.

Just my 2¢

Idahoan

Adventurer
Consider a used Rubi rather than a new Sport if $$$ is the issue. My hesitation to my own suggestion is I really like the new Pentastar.

Chains, no problem with most any tire size. Run them all the time on 34" and 35"s.

delithic

Observer
The upgraded GPS radio is horrible, and hopefully will be upgraded soon. I have a 4 month old 2013 JKU Rubicon, and am on my second radio which still has problems. The warranty however is nice. The ride is exceptionally good on the stock suspension. I don't do any serious offroading, but it handles the South Texas lease roads and gulf shore beaches just fine for my needs. I opted to not get the leather seats with the seat heaters, because with the cloth seats they don't get cold enough to warrant them.

PeteEinMT

Observer
I learned my lesson on purchasing a GPS as an option. After buying a Garmin aftermarket. Way easier, much better, cheaper and can use in multiple vehicles.

Septu

Explorer
I opted to not get the leather seats with the seat heaters, because with the cloth seats they don't get cold enough to warrant them.

Something to think about with the leather seats... they clean way easier than cloth does. And if they get wet, just wipe them down.

dstock

Explorer
Something to think about with the leather seats... they clean way easier than cloth does. And if they get wet, just wipe them down.

True, but in hot climates, the leather seats will burn your butt when the roof is off and the sun is shining. I had pretty good luck with keeping the cloth ones clean and I am getting the same in my 2013, but did get the heated seat option to go with for the cold days in the mountains.

Klink

I went from a 2011 Sport S JKU to a 2013 Rubi JKU. It all depends what you want to do with your rig. I always thought my Sport was more then enough Jeep for what I needed, but had a great chance to trade it in and upgrade. Finally got to really test out the Rubi T-case at Rausch Creek Offroad Park this past weekend, and the difference with the new motor, 4.10 gears and the Rubi transfer case in 4low is night and day from the Sport. The damn thing just wants to crawl. The debate between auto and manual can go on forever, but I can tell you this, with my auto, all I had to do was just take my foot off the brake and the thing would just start climbing up some pretty impressive hills.

Also, be prepared to go with 35" tires. They are becoming the normal upgrade point with JK's. 33's were more the norm for older models. The extra height helps with the wider stance.

Rugger99

I bought a 2012 JK Unlimited base line sport and built it the way I wanted to. End result, better vehicle than a JK Rubicon straight off the dealers lot for about the same price. Only thing a Rubicon model has over mine is the 4.1 tcase gearing.003 (5).JPG002 (6).JPG

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh The Rubi also has better warrantys/better social value (stickers):bike_rider:/better premod equip. and much better resale value-

Aso the the appeal to a specific group, like corvettes/mustangs/muscle cars/scuba diving--if you wantem, you getem-

Just like your home improvement sport model--takes a special group of jeep lovers/modifyers

Thats what I am, but I start with a Rubi cause of xfer case/eswaybar/lockers/D44s

Everybodys gotta story !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

WOODY2

Adventurer
Rubi?

Seeings as I own both I feel that I can throw my $.02 in. Personally I prefer the Sport modded out with SPOD, ARB's in both ends, 3 " lift, 35's manual disco's, trimmed fenders. The reasons behind the manual discos are over 15MPH they reconect and the Rubicon ones seem to detonate in 2 to 3 yrs, they can be converted to manual for about $100 or less if your handy. Tires are self explanitory. Gears are cheap if the 3.73's are an issue but by all means get the automatic trans. The other thing that bugs me on the Rubi is locker & disco switches are in a awkward location unless you're Helen Keller. But to each his own. Have fun and by all means drive the daylights out of what ever you get, no Mall Crawl'n.

dylanblada

Observer
Most people that are recommending the Rubi missed the part where PaintRock can't get a Rubi for the "base" price without a bunch of unwanted options. Since there is such demand for Rubicons, dealers don't negotiate much because they don't have to. Whereas you can get a stripped Sport S for near MSRP. Sure the Rubicon has better resale value (if that even matters to you), but standard JK's have one of the best resale values anyway. Although it wouldn't be enough to make up the difference here.

Leather seats? In TX, I'd prefer cloth anyway. Harder to clean cloth seats? Get some nice covers like Wet Okole. Gearing should be fine, but it's relatively easy to swap gears and even the transfer case to a Rubicon 4:1. The only swaybar disco's and the D44 are cool, but shouldn't be needed for expedition type use with 33.5" tires. As mentioned, OEM GPS units are usually terrible, expensive, a theft target and not as easily upgradable, a portable GPS is better in every way. If you want, upgrade the stereo.

If the best deal you can get real is $13k more than a Sport S, and money is at all a factory here, it's a no-brainer. When pricing Jeeps, I start with the base Sport (in sweet Commando Green or ExPo White), add A/C and a hardtop. I would also add the 5-speed auto, but that's a case by case thing. Everything else is unnecessary and has superior 3rd party solutions.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Most people that are recommending the Rubi missed the part where PaintRock can't get a Rubi for the "base" price without a bunch of unwanted options.

Maybe I missed something but why not? Why not order it? That's how we did ours and chose the correct time and got $3k under MSRP in factory rebates and ended up paying less than many do for a Sahara. IMO, unless it is an immediate need to have a vehicle (which I would think in posting to this site this subject, it is not) ordering a vehicle to spec is a much better choice.

Since there is such demand for Rubicons, dealers don't negotiate much because they don't have to. Whereas you can get a stripped Sport S for near MSRP. Sure the Rubicon has better resale value (if that even matters to you), but standard JK's have one of the best resale values anyway. Although it wouldn't be enough to make up the difference here.

Again, I think ordering it to spec at the right time with some rebates would resolve this. Working the sales dance with (IMO) sleazy sales teams is a blood pressure riser I choose not to engage in. I also think what you are getting in axles and T case alone more than makes up the difference in acquisition cost if you were to put similar equipment in a JK. But, if you aren't rock crawling to the extreme, why even lift it in the first place? The lockers aren't the best, nor are the axles are sway bar disco setup, but it's already there, and my point is, cheaper than putting similar in, unless you have a line on a wrecked JKR.

Leather seats? In TX, I'd prefer cloth anyway. Harder to clean cloth seats? Get some nice covers like Wet Okole.

100% agreed. We opted for cloth as leather in a jeep just seemed wrong to us (as did a slush box) and that $800 paid for other stuff real quick.

Gearing should be fine, but it's relatively easy to swap gears and even the transfer case to a Rubicon 4:1. The only swaybar disco's and the D44 are cool, but shouldn't be needed for expedition type use with 33.5" tires.

No way. Your are in for $1500 just to swap gears (labor included- and assuming the OP isn't a total gear head, this is not an easy process, requires special tools, and I'd want to get it right in a brand new vehicle) and although I don't know the market on used 4 to 1 t cases, I bet it ain't cheap and would be hard to find. If you went to an Atlas, now you are in for serious $$$. My point is having used both 2.73 and 4 to 1, there is no comparison.

As mentioned, OEM GPS units are usually terrible, expensive, a theft target and not as easily upgradable, a portable GPS is better in every way. If you want, upgrade the stereo.

What's wrong with the OEM unit? No one will steal it as it is a well known fact that OEM head units turn into bricks unless you have a code for them- that's why it's not common for any car for a number of years. An aftermarket one I'd think would be a much bigger target, so that makes no sense to me.

Functionality wise, I don't see a problem. Fine, I can't load Pre programmed routes, or Topo maps or the like, but I spent $100 or so and have a handheld Garmin that I stick to the windshield for those purposes. The convenience of getting in the vehicle for day to day errands and the like, it is nice to just put an address into the OEM unit and go- no setup of an aftermarket unit or carrying it around when out of the vehicle.

Now I think there is a point of diminishing returns on this, which is why we got the 430n as opposed to the 730n as I couldn't justify an $1800 stereo in a Jeep.

If the best deal you can get real is $13k more than a Sport S, and money is at all a factory here, it's a no-brainer. When pricing Jeeps, I start with the base Sport (in sweet Commando Green or ExPo White), add A/C and a hardtop. I would also add the 5-speed auto, but that's a case by case thing. Everything else is unnecessary and has superior 3rd party solutions.

No question the aftermarket will be better. But to get GOOD aftermarket, it will eat that $13k almost instantly. We have an extra $3k in our rubicon and still have the stock tires. All that got us was a lot of armor, a winch, springs, shocks, and brake lines. I still need track bars, a rack, lights etc, but I DON'T have to get lockers or worry about grenading a front axle, or regear and have a slew of headroom when I need it.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Man, that took longer for me to read, then it did for you to write, but

Great wording for the right reasons and my sentiments EXACTLY !(except for the slushbox part)

Longtallsally

Adventurer
:sombrero: Man, that took longer for me to read, then it did for you to write, but

Great wording for the right reasons and my sentiments EXACTLY !(except for the slushbox part)

Stressful day, so babbling on the interweb eases the stress... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman