New M101A2 ¾ ton trailer

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I don't see a reason why it would matter.
The tire shop should have the hub centric rings for those wheels too.
With 8 wheel studs you should be fine.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Mark did you need to use the rings you mentioned on yours and did you get new lug nuts or use the nuts off the stock wheels. My lug nuts are hard as hell to get on all the way (im not a small guy), I cleaned the threads and used silicone and still hard. I am using a socket and breaker bar since I dont have an impact.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Just re-read your build write up, and saw your info on the lug nuts Mark. I know I am going to ditch the surge brakes controller and lunette hitch combo. I kind of want to keep the drums on though since my parking brakes work and it’s a nice feature. I am also re-running all the wire but I have decided to try to keep the military lights if possible. Being a veteran myself, I think they add a cool look but going to try and put some LED bulbs inside them.
Contemplating pulling the tub off the frame. There is very little rust on this trailer and not sure if I want to do all that. I will be painting the tub and having the inside rhino lined. I want to go with black with crush accents the girlfriend wants black with grey accents, not sure why because my Jeep is Crush so we are still working that out.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
My GMC rims were a direct bolt on. The Dexter axle has GM hubs. with 8 on 6.5 pattern
As you saw I went with 9/16 inner by 7/8 outer thread open lug nuts to use the same GMC center caps as my 2500HD has.

Ditching the surge assembly will remove some weight. 52 pounds off the tongue and 5 pounds or so for the lines and wheel cylinders.
I like the idea of keeping the military lights but Pittsburgh is full of bad drivers who don't pay attention. I needed larger RED taillights for them to see and I went with the Grote lights in my pictures.

I vote to pull the tub off. The military designed it to remove easy. Center bolts front and back. four corner brackets with 8 bolts total
" I left mine off when I reinstalled the tub after painting" and the carriage bolts that mount the tub to the frame rails.
Four friends, and will be needed to lift the tub off the frame. Saw horses or a roller stand to paint it on.

I vote to paint the frame black and the tub CRUSH to match the jeep. You won't regret it when you are pulling it around and be getting the thumbs up.

Attachments

• DSC05118.JPG
    DSC05118.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC05023.JPG
    DSC05023.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Did I read somewhere, something about the military paint that comes on these trailers? Is it ok to paint over? Do I need to have it sand blasted?

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
You can paint over it, but if you sand on it, everybody says to wear a mask. The CARC paint on your trailer is hazardous,if inhaled.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The paint on my trailer was good and only a couple spots were chipped.
I feathered the bad spots and primed any questionable areas, wiped everything with solvent to remove
any oil or grease then shot it in the back yard with a cheap HF hvlp gun. The paint still looks good a year later
and the CARC paint was a good base paint with a tooth to paint over.

Fresno

Adventurer
You can paint over it, but if you sand on it, everybody says to wear a mask. The CARC paint on your trailer is hazardous,if inhaled.

Yes and no. CARC is sprayed with an activator and is hazardous. Dried CARC is not, but dried dust still needs a mask.

I would definitely leave the CARC paint on there, having that as a base coat is good insurance from rock chips and rust.

Dave

74CJ5

Observer
BTW, nice looking M101 and your JK sounds pretty sweet too. I have a 12 with 35's and have no problem towing my trailer. You shouldn't either with those gears.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
The trailer is great! It tows good behind the jeep. I don’t think I am going to use the canvas cover or the sides and bows so may sell those in the near future. I still plan on getting rid of the surge brakes and going to go with a receiver style hitch. That way I can run a ball or max-coupler. RYNOMAR (on this forum) is going to wire the trailer up for a round 7 pin and I plan to replace the 24v bulbs in the military lights with 12v versions (maybe LED?). I have started to sand the tub down and clean up the factory welds (lots of splatter). I will then rattle can primer it and take it somewhere for a cheap paint job. It’s going to be black with Crush accents to match the jeep then rhino line the bed of the trailer a grey for sun/heat reasons. Don’t think I am going to split the tub from the frame. I don’t have a lot of room to store the two pieces and the frame is in good shape so I may just clean up what I can get to and hit it with a little flat black.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Your trailer sits nice with the jeep.
I like the paint idea too.
Use the bows and make a cover to fit.
I went with Grote taillights and they wired nice.

Attachments

• DSC06634.JPG
    DSC06634.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 8
  • m101a1rtt4.jpg
    m101a1rtt4.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 19

74CJ5

Observer
It will look great with some crush accents behind your rig. Mark that tan trailer of your is almost exactly what I am planning for mine. Well done sir!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy