New member hello with 96 LR Disco 5speed!

Desertoutpost

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I went for the steel wheels to understate the looks of the Discovery, and make it a little more field repairable. These are the NATO wheels, with a smaller safety bead, hence easier to field fix a tire. And I like how they look :)

An aluminum wheel is almost always a better performance choice.

Scott do you have them mouned up yet, I want to do the same and was waiting for your pics??

rripatti

Observer
hi desertoutpost, that's great to know! i thought those racks must have weighed at least 100lbs+, i learn a new thing everyday!

Desertoutpost said:
Simple answer, no. I have heard of nothing either, which I think I would have. With the four attachment points and their sheer width, and the fact that the rain gutters on a Rover are the size of most house gutters, you will be fine. The racks are very large but very, very light. I could hold the hole rack over my head when we installed it, and I assure you I'm not built like a fire plug, more like the hose! As for the link, when these racks come up they do not last long, maybe a day or two tops. You have to jump on them quick and they usually fetch a price well over $1000.00, so move quick! Good luck.

rripatti

Observer
Hi Scot,

I can certainly appreciate the look of steelies on a disco (i think i have watched every single camel trophy event up to 1996) and love the simplicity and strength as well as being able to "hammer" it back to shape close enough maintain integrity of the tire. :clapsmile

So far in my minimal offroad excursions in Maine and hitting various potholes (read craters) in Brooklyn, the alloy wheels hold up remarkably well.

so until they break, i will keep them on to keep as much of a stock look as possible while optimizing what i have which is the ome hd lift, soon to come bfg at ko tires along with the spacers.

however I can't wait to see your disco with the steelies! it may just make me change my mind:jump:

expeditionswest said:
I went for the steel wheels to understate the looks of the Discovery, and make it a little more field repairable. These are the NATO wheels, with a smaller safety bead, hence easier to field fix a tire. And I like how they look :)

An aluminwheel is almost always a better performance choice.

rripatti

Observer
thanks bovw! i'll take pictures of how the truck looks now this friday when i have time and show you the progress as i move foward.

so far the first pic is bone stock at the dealership.

the next pics i will take on Friday will show it with the ome lift, borla and removal of sidesteps and brush guards.

after that will be wet okoles and then spacers. early next year the bfg's and 4.6!

bovw said:
Welcome aboard,nice D1 you have. I'm looking forward to seeing all you're mods.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Late in the game here - but - WELCOME to ExPo!!! You are sure to enjoy your time - be sure to check the other forums such as General Mods, Gear, Adventures, GPS / Computers etc. Lots of good info for you to read and a place to share you own stories.

Cheers!

Stock Tyres

Observer
Where are all these white 5 speed discos coming from (I thought mine was special )

Welcome to the site, looking forward to see your build!

rripatti

Observer
thanks guys! i really appreciate your warm welcomes! i look forward to combing this site and looking through all the great stuff to improve upon my discovery!

Oh and I dont know what it is, but i really always wanted a white discovery with a stickshift and i happen to find this on a friday in April. That saturday I signed the papers!:wings:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Dang it, all you guys with your Expo White Disco 1's w/ the 5 speed are making me want one. I actually walked up to a white Disco 1 today parked on the street to see if it had cloth seats and a stick....It's really all of your faults:)

Green96D1

Explorer
Welcome buddy.

I love white Discos as well.

and the truck looks nice and clean.

White + black Steelies= awesome combo.

I love my green Disco but If I were to ever change a color it would be white.

rripatti

Observer
Thanks guys!!!

A couple of things:

1. You guys are killing me with the black steelies! I'll see how I do with the Scorpion Racing spacers first. In theory it should help with the stability of the vehicle as well as help me better fit the bfg at's that will go on.
2. Green 96D1: I noted that you have 32" tires. Given that stock is only 29", have you noticed a marked loss in power on the road, particularly at highway speeds? I'm trying to determine the bfg tire size i will end up with and a big concern of mine is driving from NYC to Maine fully loaded up (5 people plus gear/luggage for a week) particularly through the hilly sections. Even having theoretically the lightest version of the D1 with a stickshift, I've tend to floor the pedal more than I would like (keeping the engine in the optimum powerband ofcourse). That's why I am going to put in the 4.6 with a mild torque cam. But I might also consider gearing down as well.

Thanks guys!

Green96D1 said:
Welcome buddy.

I love white Discos as well.

and the truck looks nice and clean.

White + black Steelies= awesome combo.

I love my green Disco but If I were to ever change a color it would be white.

Green96D1

Explorer
with 32"s you won't have to regear. anything above then yes regearing will help.

I have noticed a little loss in power with the 32's but not enough for me to regear.

if I'm climbing hills on the freeway Then I kickdown to gear 3 or 2. I have a automatic.

with you dropping a 4.6 in the Disco you will have a good amount of power

gas mileage will slightly drop with anything larger than say a 245/75/16

or a "30.5" inch tire. but not much for you to really notice it.

rripatti

Observer
Hi Green96,

Thanks for the info! considering that you have a 3" inch larger circumference, not to mention a heavier tire its pretty amazing that you have noticed only a slight loss in power!

Given what you said, I think i'll go with the 245/75/16 bfg at ko. seems to be a great all round tire. not excellent in anything but great in everything.

one last question, wiht the 32's, did you have to do any fender cuts?

Green96D1 said:
with 32"s you won't have to regear. anything above then yes regearing will help.

I have noticed a little loss in power with the 32's but not enough for me to regear.

if I'm climbing hills on the freeway Then I kickdown to gear 3 or 2. I have a automatic.

with you dropping a 4.6 in the Disco you will have a good amount of power

gas mileage will slightly drop with anything larger than say a 245/75/16

or a "30.5" inch tire. but not much for you to really notice it.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Gas mileage will increase with the 4.6 and 32a on the freeway, but be lower around town. Once you get them moving, they keep going pretty easy. Definately don't need to regear with 32s. :)

C

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Wheel & Tire width

What sized 32s are you guys talking about? Don’t know much about Rovers but I assume they were all/mostly 16-inch wheels.

If so, I bet the most common 32-in. tire is a 265/75R16, but what about the thinner but same height 235/85R16. What is the width of the wheels?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach