New member, new truck, new build thread

chequamegon

Observer
Hello everyone -

I am new here, and joining because I just purchased a new Tacoma, and will be doing a build out over the next 6 months. I have been a lurker of Expedition Forums when my wife and I purchased a used 2004 Disco II about two years ago, with intent to make it an overland vehicle. After sinking way too much money into it just to keep it running (head gaskets, electrical demons), we spent two years chasing our dreams and making no progress because we had to spend all the fun money just keeping it running.

So I tore off the band aid, and got rid of the Disco, and picked up a 2013 Tacoma DCLB. I will be on here quite a bit, asking lots of noob questions, so please be patient with me. We have a trip planned in July to drive from Minnesota, across northern Alberta and BC out to Haida Gwaii, and then back down and through a bit of the western US.

I work in product development for a mountain bike company, so the purpose of the rig will be mostly as a support, access and camping vehicle for mountain biking trips. White Rim will probably be the most extreme terrain it will ever see, as anything harder than that, I prefer two wheels.

Here is the plan to complete by June:

ARB front bumper, painted white, with grill and light guards - order in January
CBI Offroad rear bumper with swingout, two receivers, one for trailer, one for bike rack - order in January
FRP Flippac - already found a slightly used one, driving to AR in Jan to pick it up
Garmin GPS with off-road trail maps - already have
WeatherTech laser-designed molded mats - already ordered
Thule T2 4 bike - already have
Firestone Winterforce tires on stock alloys for winter (Minnesota can be hard in winter) - already ordered
Gray TRD Trail Ed 16" alloys from FJ with BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A 235/85-16 - probably in April as money allows and snow melts
Birch Cabinets and pull-outs in bed with hardwood floor - wait till its warm so I can work outside
onboard Air compressor - not sure what kind or when, there was a great thread on here about hiding it in the bed pockets
And lots of assorted camping widgets for the Flippac - already have all the stuff like stoves, tables, snowpeak goodies, camp chairs.

And then, long term -
Icon Vehicle Dynamics adjustable shocks for stock ride height
Bolt-on rock sliders - any suggestions? I don't want them visually apparent, so none that wrap up the sides, I don't drive that hard
LED light pods for the ARB bumper, enough to send out about 10,000 lumens
LED backup light
dual deep-cycle battery conversion with solar controller and panel with full 12v lighting in Flippac
Flip-down table and box for the rear bumper swingout

And the blank canvas:
IMG_5166.JPGIMG_5167.JPG

DblD

Adventurer
Good looking rig ya got there. Let the modifications begin! If you’re in or around Springfield, MO on your way to or from AR, don’t hesitate to look me up. We are the original home of Bass Pro Shops and I can give some great recommendations for lunch or dinner. :wavey:

dd

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Welcome to ExPO!... nice blank canvas there.... have fun!
One suggestion... GET SLIDERS before your front or rear bumper... believe me, you will not be disappointed.... no matter how hard or light you wheel.
:smiley_drive:

chequamegon

Observer
Thanks for the info Tejas - after reading through a few threads, especially the great one about the guy who went off road for the first time on a week long trip with his Tacoma - I think your info is awesome - rock sliders first.

chequamegon

Observer
Well, I am not really one to blog very well, so I didnt keep this up with a step by step build thread. But here it is, probably around 80% finished. Just took it on its maiden voyage, a week of mountain biking in Moab, along with a 3 day White Rim trip.

Mods done so far -
CBI Offroad rear bumper with swingout, four receivers, one for trailer, three on swingout for accessories. Nathan is awesome to deal with!
CBI Bolt-on rock sliders - thanks to all the feedback here, I decided to go rock sliders first before a front bumper
CBI hidden front receiver hitch - for extra bike capacity when needed
AFE dry-element filter (mileage went from 15 to 17 with this upgrade!)
FRP Flippac - bought a nice used one for about half price from an Alaskan who advertised it on Craigslist in Phoenix, so I picked it up in Memphis (long story)
Garmin GPS with off-road trail maps
WeatherTech laser-designed molded mats
Thule T2 4 bike - modified with a 48" stainless steel straight bar, mounted to the swingout
BF Goodrich Commercial Traction 235/85-16 10 ply, E load, snow service tires, including the spare
Black TRD Trail Ed 16" alloys from FJ
Birch Cabinets and pull-outs in bed with hardwood floor - I built them, but I think I need a re-design, not really happy with my layout
Fox external reservoir rear shocks
Firestone Ride-Rite air bag kit on the rear
Unisolar PVL-68s on the roof of the Flippac, shortened (thanks GreenGuySolar!). 2 panels now, need to go up to 3 to keep up with Fridge
110ah AGM battery, solar controller, Blue Sea fuse box and USB plugs, Bluetooth stereo with Pioneer 3-way speakers
Edgestar 63qt fridge (not really happy with this thing)
48" diamond plate alloy box on the swingout acting as a kitchen equipment storage

In July, we are taking a road trip across northern Canada to Haida Gwaii, where we used to live. Spending a few weeks out there, so I have a few things to do before that -
Change fridge to Engel
Add additional solar panel
Add one more 110ah battery
Change bed layout, its currently side boxes, probably change over to elevated floor with storage underneath
Add some LED lighting to the Flippac
Add some supplemental lighting to the front for driving, and some sort of rear backup/camp light.

Attachments

• P1000841.JPG
    P1000841.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 32
  • P1000845.JPG
    P1000845.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 34
  • P1000850.JPG
    P1000850.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads