seby86

Hello, I am new here. I've always had an interest in offroad exploring but never was very serious enough about it to sell my car and purchase a 4wheeldrive. I currently own a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6speed. I love this car, plenty of personality torque and power and is fun to drive and acceleration is very very appealing indeed. (VQ35DE equiped, pathfinder owners know what i'm talking about:sombrero:)

Since I can remember, I've had an eye on 4wheel drive vehicles and everytime i spot a nice Expo ready Rig, I cant help but to stare in admiration. I also spent hours pouring thru every single picture in the random Rig photographs thread in the photography forum, (All 80 pages!! Just absolutely AMAZING :Wow1::drool:) There's just something about them that naturally appeals to me. I've also been looking for a hobby, something I can do to just get away from the stresses of life and enjoy myself at the same time.

Well, i've decided to give this a shot! I put the Max up for sale ( i will truly miss her but its time to move on) and I have a buyer who is awaiting his settlement check, and as soon as he recieves it (end of this month, beginning of FEB) he will take her off my hands. I think i've narrowed it down a bit but i still need some valuable opinions. I deffinetaly want a Japanese RIG. My mother is a native of Puerto Rico and I've lived there for 2 years a while back. I can tell you, Montero's are IMMENSLY poplular there. They even have their own parking section at large shopping centres and the beach. It seems every other SUV which passes you on the road is a Montero. The same cannot be said for it here in the States, I'm lucky if I see one every 3 months. However, I do not doubt its reliability and quality so I will put it on my list (96-00 Montero, not a huge fan of the Unibody 01+ Monteros and besides its out of my price range of 5-6k dollars.)

Also in my price range, and on my list is the 98-02 Isuzu Trooper. These are also popular in the carribean islands, but not nearly as popular as the Montero, however they seem to be easier to find and from what i've read (especially on this site) they seem to be reliable and trooper owners seem to be very happy with their rigs. The Montero and the Trooper are my top 2 choices as of now. But any other vehicles reccomendations are gladly accepted. I'm not sure why the Montero/Pajero is so famouse, does anyone know what advantages the Montero may have over the trooper?? or vice versa?? they both seem equally capable.

P.s. I did consider an FJ80 but in my price range they usually have 200million miles on them or are in rough shape. Also, the cost of operating them scares me as well. These RIGS are legendary tanks and extremely capable reliable but my uncle owns a 96 and he warned me about the cost of operating it (if i could find a decent one in my price range).

Thanks!:)
And its great to be here!!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I think it comes down to a matter of personal taste. I loved my Trooper, and I will own another one. The 98+ Troopers are a little quirky in the engine compartment, but if you know what the are and how to deal with them they will never let you down. I like the Monty's too and are on my list for my next rig, but I just have way to many fond memories of my Trooper and miss it tremendously. But ti is up to you, they are both great rigs right out of the box. I am biased so i say go with the Trooper.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
P.s. I did consider an FJ80 but in my price range they usually have 200million miles on them or are in rough shape. Also, the cost of operating them scares me as well. These RIGS are legendary tanks and extremely capable reliable but my uncle owns a 96 and he warned me about the cost of operating it (if i could find a decent one in my price range).

Thanks!:)
And its great to be here!!

Welcome!!!

Consider this... "200 Million Miles" is safer on a Toyota then 5000miles on alot of other trucks. That's just my opinion but I wouldn't buy anything else except for maybe some of the near-un-atainables (for me and the average Joe anyway) like a MOG or a G-Wagen etc. For a readily available drive home, load up and go exploring with little to no worries, go Toyota.

That said, Troopers are really the sleeper vehicle of the off-road world. Not ALOT of aftermarket which can be limiting, but they are very good trucks underneath and they do VERY well out on the trail. I grew up with first gen's (the boxy body style) but the following trucks just improved for the most part on a great chasis. Hell once we got that 2.8L GM garbage out of it the older trucks was quite awesome. If the Trooper suits you, I say go for it, they're good trucks. otherwise, go Toyota and be done with it.

Older Monty's are awesome as well, just not that big of a following here in the states. too bad because we kind of missed out on a great truck.

Cheers

Dave

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Welcome to ExPo.........Seby86!

Thanks for reading ALL 80 Pages! ...wow! That might be a first!:ylsmoke:

The thread is ment to get good folks like you....excited about the outback and All it has in store for you!

So.....your Mission!.......should you decide to accept it.....is to go in to the outback and create a lifetime of memories for you and your family!

....and share your trips!

This tape will self distruct in 30 seconds....so hurry up and get started!

......carry on!:costumed-smiley-007

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidG

Adventurer
Welcome, and let me throw in my .02...

I vote for a 1997-2000 Montero SR w/factory rear locker and SOHC 3.5

Enough room to clear 33's from the factory, though you may want to add I little twist on the front torsion bar depending on wheel offset to prevent minor rubbing on full lock compression.

seby86

Thanks guys!!

WonderRunner, Lol, i was sad when it stopped at 80, i was ready for another 80 pages of photos. I guesse i'll just have to contribute to it now. But I cant wait to get out there, anywhere really, just away from Houston..i'm tired of all the metro metro work work work hussle and bussle.

Well, I think i'm leaning more towards the Monty, the idea of a rare Not-something-you-see-everyday rig is appealing. not too mention i'll be making the folks back in PR proud.:sombrero: I also like the fold up rear jumpseats and the Sunroof in the middle is pretty cool. ( i know the isuzu has a similar sized sunroof available as well). The styling of the Monty is alittle more oldschool and hardcore (this is probably a good thing to me). The girlfriend likes the isuzu better, she says it looks smoother and more modern than the crudely designed Monty, and that the monty's instrument panel is ugly and looks like something out of 1985 (she has a point sort-of) but i dont really care about the instrument panel and i'm not gonna make my choice based on her opinion or body styling. anyway i'll try to read more about both rigs but i'll keep my eyes out for one.

If i see a good trooper i'll deffinetaly give her a looker and strong consideration. I may very well end up with a trooper instead. Theres just no telling.. AGH! Its a hard choice. lol. So basically, its come down to this: Which ever i can find that is the better deal and better condition is the one i'll go with.

SGV

Adventurer
Hi and welcome. I don't know how much searching you have done other than than great pics, but you might have found that you are not alone in this desire. Here are a few recent and not-so-recent threads on the topic of buying a new truck on a budget, including one that I have started. I know you are primarily looking at the Trooper and the Montero, but it looks like there are so many options you shouldn't narrow yourself to these two. By the way, I test drove a Trooper a few weeks back in slushy snow and loved it. The Torque on Demand light was flashing, which sounds like a bad sign, so for Troopers, I personally am going to stay away from ones with TOD.

My first post asking about a good expo rig for someone just entering the sport.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19931

This is a question about a good Jeep platform.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22390

Here are questions about the Ford Ranger
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21732

Question on how to build an expo rig on a budget.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22397

Best expo truck for less than $3K.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21703

A good thread about building a rig for less than $15K. This thread takes everything into consideration including maintenance, fridge, camping supplies, etc. For me, it is appears to be a good guide to prioritize a build/gear.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2200&highlight=blazer

And the $5K build thread.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20163

jl8088

Adventurer
I would definitely say that you should get a Trooper unless you can find one of the older Montero's with the rear locker as mentioned above (good luck!).

The aftermarket support for the Trooper is far better than the Montero.

If you're in Texas, which doesn't have many OHV areas, you'll probably end up driving into AZ and UT for some great trails, based on this, you'll be driving long distances where the mpg may sway your decision. In that case, i'd include a toyota pickup 4x4 in the mix.

jl1%20147.jpg

seby86

Thanks for the input! SGV-, other vehicle suggestions are always more than welcome, I will look through the threads you've posted. Thanks!:sombrero:

Jl8088- I agree, the Trooper seems to have better aftermarket support and I believe a Trooper will be much easier to locate than a Montero which is why I think the chances of me ending up in a Trooper are pretty good. hehe. I'll deffinetaly be seeking good spots in Texas to start out in. I know there are plenty of Hill Country west of me (e.i. Bandera TX). I will start out there and then graduate to the west states like AZ, NM etc.

DavidG- How would I know which Montero has a factory rear locker and which doesnt? Is there a number I should be looking for? Or can I figure it out from the VIN?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
How would I know which Montero has a factory rear locker and which doesnt? Is there a number I should be looking for? Or can I figure it out from the VIN?

I'm not an expert on Montero's but I think the only models that came with the rear locker were the SR models. LS, Limited, etc. I don't think had the locker.

DavidG

Adventurer
I'm not an expert on Montero's but I think the only models that came with the rear locker were the SR models. LS, Limited, etc. I don't think had the locker.

First clue is that the SR has factory fender flares while the LS does not. To confirm it has the rear locking diff, look for the the R/D Lock switch located to the left of the cig. lighter, just below the radio. It only works in 4 Low and you should be able to hear the compressor run for a few seconds when you engage it. You should be able to hear the rear tires scrub in a turn (preferably on a loose surface at crawl speed :sombrero:)

You should see the following (unless the bulbs are burned out on the dash) as you shift through the t-case:

2wd Rear tire lights are on

4 High/AWD Rear tire and front tire lights (they may flash for a few moments as it engages)

4 High Lock Rear tire, front tire lights and center diff lock light

4 Low Lock Rear tire, front tire, center diff lock lights

4Low Lock w/Rear Locker engaged Rear tires, front tires, center diff lock, and rear diff lock lights

seby86

wow. its already been almost 2 years since i started this thread. well it took me almost 2 year, but I am a MAN of MY WORD!. After much time, deliberation, financial issues, personal issues, challenges selling my car and challenges finding the right vehicle that stretched on for a period of much time, i finally found my rig. :victory:

I found her by chance sitting in a target parking lot in Humble TX with some for sale signs slapped on her. My girlfriend is a huge target fan so we frequented this particular store for the last couple of years and I have always seen it parked there, it just wasnt for sale. It belonged to one of the HR people that worked there. Everytime we would leave the store, I would eye this rig with envy, wondering if the owner (whoever they may be) would ever sale it. This went on for over a year before one day, as we were walking out of the target after buying a bottle of wine, I caught a dash of orange in the corner of my eye. Sure enough there were for sale signs on the vehicle. Long story short, I was able to get the vehicle for 4800. I almost lost this vehicle to a trade in but I convinced my father to let me borrow the money before the seller commited such a crime. The next day i sold my car for payoff balance and Now im the happy owner of this beauty. Sorry its not looking very clean today, I dirtied it yesterday while putting it through a couple of light preliminary trials which of course it passed without even the slightest of effort.:) A couple of problems i found that it has is 2 rust spots. One under the weather stripping of the back hatch glass and one under the leading edge of the drivers side passenger door. Another problem it has is the gas cap hinges rusted off and broke so the gas door is currently sitting inside of my car for the time being until i figure out how to reattach it. besides that, the vehicle is in really solid shape inside and out and only has 160k miles. Thats not alot of miles for this rig is it? Anyway I'll stop my babbling and show you the photos on the next post.

seby86

Well, here she is. A 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser (FZJ80). 160k miles on the clock. She is pretty basic. No power seats, heated seats, auto climate or anything of that nature. Only option she seems to have is leather seats. I understand sunroofs are standard on FZJ80's. what else... Oh unfortunately there are not front and rear lockers, but those will come eventually along with a few other mods I have planned.:sombrero:

l_287cd11f664e472fa763cb28def162d7.jpg

l_e7c05aeae81643ab9fcdebc70610c3f9.jpg

l_c1c2044c3ed9464f86951e6323e34214.jpg

l_fa20fef364fa47beb70d13430e22d5d5.jpg

l_8dfaf4971660407398fa83e1c69ca68a.jpg

Wish i would of taken pics of her yesterday. She was nice and clean. But I couldnt control myself and I ended up getting it dirty within 4 hours. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven