new option for roof rack @ harbor frieght

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i've been working on a cheap option for a lightweight strong rack to mount on my congo cage...

(re-installed by the way. without the rubber pucks. makes all the difference in the world.)

lo and behold, i found myself at harbor frieght checking out their stuff. they have an alumnimum hitch mounted cargo rack for sale.

weight:20-30lbs
width:23"
length:49.5"
height:7.5"
capacity: 500lbs

92655.gif

well so far i've figured out some nice mounts to my congo cage, and have it mounted temporarily.

what i like, is that you have to assemble the top rail, so if you want the rack to lo-profile, you can just leave that part off. same goes for the reflectors, i simply didn't install them...

i'll probably just leave the front one assembled, as its the perfect size to fit 4 or five jerry cans and then go lo profile if i add two or three of the same carriers behind the first like this:

looking from the side:

full carrier__________ no rails_________no rails__________no rails
[---------------]
[---------------]
[---------------]
[============][=============][=============][==============]

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
by the way, the one i got was $60.00 on sale.

i'll probably end up painted the whole thing black as well. the red ends are a bit cheesy. the base itself though is fairly rubust with nice riveting and small bolts.

stick

Adventurer
I saw those at HF the last time I was in there. Didn't look like a bad product. Post up some pics when you get it mounted up.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
stick said:
I saw those at HF the last time I was in there. Didn't look like a bad product. Post up some pics when you get it mounted up.

will do, worked a 12 hour day yesterday...

ran outa time and daylight :oops:

i have a bit of work to do on it,:Mechanic: like painting it, and mounting it properly, but i'll shoot some pics anyways :)...

-Brian

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
IMGP5366.jpg

IMGP5364.jpg

IMGP5369.jpg

IMGP5363.jpg

here's some pics. i just threw it up there and bolted it down. it's gonna get painted black and have the bolts go through the rack via drilled holes when i get the chance.

i'm also thinking i might make it a bit more low profile and just remove the rails...not sure yet, as i like the way it looks. :)

i'm gonna pull it when i get home from work, and transform it. i'll update the pics later.

Last edited:

TheGillz

Explorer
May I suggest mounting it back about 4-5 inches from where you have that, then you could run a wind deflector at the angle of the front bars of the rack, might cut down on wind noise, those aluminum racks look like they have pretty sharp 90* angles that might whistle etc...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
TheGillz said:
May I suggest mounting it back about 4-5 inches from where you have that, then you could run a wind deflector at the angle of the front bars of the rack, might cut down on wind noise, those aluminum racks look like they have pretty sharp 90* angles that might whistle etc...

great suggestion. i had pondered that very thing. i'm trying to decide where to mount the front rack, as i'd like to use the front transverse hoop for support (through bolts).

do you think that i could leave the front of the rack unsupported and do okay? I guess the 500lb rating is without any type of support...

ExpoMike

BIGdaddy said:
great suggestion. i had pondered that very thing. i'm trying to decide where to mount the front rack, as i'd like to use the front transverse hoop for support (through bolts).

do you think that i could leave the front of the rack unsupported and do okay? I guess the 500lb rating is without any type of support...

Without seeing it in person not 100% sure but looking at the pictures of the I beam style cross bars, I would say you could leave it unsupported in the front. IIRC, your two front to rear bars and set in about 4" so the open span is not all that wide, like 2'. I would say you are good.

Hey, worst case, swing by one day and we'll weld in another crossbar wherever you want it. I even think I have some 1.5" tubing. :ylsmoke:

biere

Observer
I just want to comment that for my steel hitch hauler and its 500lb capacity they must have had the weight perfectly distributed, or else it was all right over the hitch insert.

The wings on mine now frown from only hauling 250lbs of stuff or so.

I need to reinforce it after I straighten it out.

Just figured I would mention that, I thought 500lbs would get me something stout but with not much weight on the wings I now have a frowning steel hitch hauler.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
What are the corners made out of? Is the top of the basket the same as the bottom rails?

How tall is the I rails?

I'm digging that. It could be disassembled use the long side rails to make it longer and just add some cross bracing. Then it would look more like a African without the top rail.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I'm not really a rack person.....but I think you have a great idea.

The only thing I would do is...........

Paint it black!:26_7_2:

It's fun to save $$$$$$$..........!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
glensnea said:
Where did you get the clamps you used and what size are they?

funny you ask, they are actually included in the tough stuff hi-lift hood mount as brackets that will mount a shovel/axe to the hood mount in place of a hi-lift

they're very beefy and have nice powder coat finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online