New Pop Up owner with question

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Just brought home a new pop up. On the way back it felt like someone was bumping me whenever I would go over uneven road. I could look up and see the cab over portion of the camper moving a little which I think is normal.
My truck is a 2014 Ram crew cab 2500 4x4 with front sumo's and rear timbren support shocks. Camper is mounted on a flat bed with queen size fore/aft over cab bed. Tire pressure is 60 front 80 back. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations to correct this "bumping"? The rear squats just a little so I thought air bags might help, also thought about replacing factory shocks with bilsteins. Thanks.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
My '14 Ram 2500 is stock. Loaded weight of my camper and all junk is around 1800 lbs. I haven't felt the "bumping" you're talking about. could it be the contact with the Timbrens?

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
The only other thing I can think to do, is get someone who weighs a bit (say 200 lbs.) and have them have a little John Travolta dance party in the camper while you sit in the cab. Have them move through the camper trying to shift the weight and see if they can duplicate the motion/sound. Talk through the window or on the phone while they shift/walk/move/roll on the bed/etc. You might get lucky and be able to pinpoint the source.

Scoutman

Explorer
I get a similar (or similar to what I think you're experiencing) bumping motion when I let off the throttle or on some bumps. I can look out the sunroof and see it move a little too. Sort of like a bump, bump, bump. I have heavy duty ratchet straps on all 4 corners with homemade tiedowns so I think it has some to do with that.

What tie downs are you using? Do you get bumped once or is it a few times? Do you have overload springs that could perhaps be hitting the snubbers?

potterjon

Observer
I had that bumping also on the way home with my tc and when I went to get new shocks put on I noticed that the bumpstop on that side was gone. I assume the truck was bottoming out and hitting the bumpstops. It was an uneasy feeling when it was happening.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
I've come to the conclusion that the Timbrens are not strong enough. I plan to purchase Helwig air bag and Bilstein shocks.
This did the trick in my previously owned Tiger. The main difference with this set up is the camper weight is all on the bed and not married to the cab.
Camper is bolted directly to flatbed, so no give here.
Here is a pic at the day of pick up. Still have a few bugs to work out......
409.jpg154.jpg

MINO

Adventurer
Not sure what I have to say applies since I have a totally different rig with a king size north-south bed. (phoenix)

When we first picked it up, we would experience a lot of porpoising at freeway speeds. Gave the sensation of being bumped depending on how the wind hit us.
So I went and installed some Lance cab-over struts to prevent it. Haven't had an issue with it since.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk