New Project - Sportsman Pop-up

mikes350

Hey Everyone
Have been a browser for a few years here and thought it was time to start a thread of my new project. I do a fair amount of off grid camping , Mountain lakes forest service access sites mostly around BC. I have a 2002 Tundra so I needed a camper that was light and could take a bit of abuse. I had decided at the beginning of the summer to build a camper using boat building methods , ply and fiberglass, I got into it a ways and had built up the tub and back wall. Then other projects side tracked me a bit , mostly fishing , but a deck project also , so the camper sat.
Last week I came across a Sportsman Pop up Camper. I had been looking into pop ups before I decided to build my own and had never come across this model. I'm not sure how many of you have seen them either. I haven't been able to find much info on them , they where built by Wright mfg out of Port Coquitlam BC. If anyone could shed some light on them that would be great.

This Camper was very close to what I was building and the price was right. So I drove a few hours and picked it up , Right away I could see it needed a new floor and tub sides , they where plywood , the rest of it is fiberglass, and in decent shape. so since I had the floor and sides built for the other camper that is where I started.
581165_10153215715580696_163776188_n.jpg P7083170.jpg488003_10153215715840696_1282818140_n.jpg
As I found it

IMAG1065 (Large).jpgIMAG1068 (Large).jpg
Gutted the interior and removed the old plywood, some previous owner had done some interesting silicone and ply repairs. There doesn't seem to be any wiring in it , there was a fridge at some point , the furnace did work, and the water tank looks reusable. The canvas is newish, but the lift shocks are weak. Overall not to bad.

The floor and sides I had built didn't exactly match the one that was previously installed. The camper was ment to fit an import truck and I had built the new one to fit a regular size short box . So I had to make a few adjustments The camper sat about 1.5 inches too low on my truck and the floor I had built was 2 1/4 inches, previous floor was 3/4 ply , so the new floor actually worked out perfectly height wise. The sides lined up height and width wise almost perfectly. Once I had them in place I used epoxy and screws to pull it all together. Then covered the whole tub in two layers of fiberglass.

IMAG1073 (Large).jpgIMAG1074 (Large).jpgIMAG1076 (Large).jpg

The next step is one I'm still debating , what would you guys go with ?
gel coat, body filler, paint
body filler, paint ,
body filler, gel coat

I want something that is easy to touch up and fix. Any thoughts? Any one ever seen one of these before?

More to come

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Every once in a while in my ongoing searches for Blazer Chalets, I run across the open-front versions of Sportsman campers that were purpose-built for Blazers and GMC Jimmys.

1109114.jpg

mikes350

Thanks for posting that. They look very similar . The others that I have found in my research of this one , now look to have been converted chalets.

duneyeti9

That's quite a project you have there, looks like you're doing it right. I don't usually give advice on these forums because everybody has their idea of what will work best, but since you ask these are a few things I would keep in mind if I were to do the work.

Gel-coat is superior to paint IMO. Epoxy or Poly paint would get the job done I'm sure but I would try and find a gel-coat that matched the rest of the camper. Keep in mind if you can't spray Gel-coat it will leave a slightly rough, kind of non-skid surface finish. As far as body filler, I'm sure you know that epoxy is better than polyester as far as moisture retention. if you can't totally encapsulate the wood in the frame then you need to make sure and keep the camper ventilated and dry during use and off season to deter any mold issues. Also I would make sure and use stainless or bronze/brass hardware no zinc or plain steel especially in the wood.

mikes350

Thanks for the info, went with the gel coat, I rolled it on and actually like the rough looking surface. The temps are getting a bit low to do any more fiberglass, epoxy or paint work now , so I'll be moving on to the interior. I'll be designing and building a pull out bed system, cabinets to hold the stove sink and furnace and wiring in an electrical system. But first I am building a dolly to move it around on.

mikes350

Well its been too cold to work on the camper much , but on the warmish days I've managed to strip all the old interior out right down to the fiberglass. Also bought a few things ,new water connection and fill hatch, Propane tank, hoses and reg, Sink and stove ,porta-potty and rebuilt and painted the old 3 way fridge I had,Added a fan on the top of it also to help keep it cool
I also built a new door as the other one was all smashed in. Still need to put the edge trim and fiberglass it

DSC_0040.jpg

Started to frame the fridge and counter for the stove today.
DSC_0004.jpg

mikes350

Finally had some time to plug away at the interior, have most of the panels made , cut them out of birch ply of varying thickness, Trying to keep it as light as i can so mostly 1/8th ply mixed with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 for the fronts.
Also started the wiring, picked up a fuse/breaker box that does 12v and 120v made life much easier even though there isn't much for wiring yet. So far there are three 120v circuits (Fridge and two plugs), and five 12v circuits(lights, fridge, water pump, usb charge and acc) . I can't think of any other wiring that i will need except maybe for a fantastic fan. Any must have suggestions?
Have a small solar system to wire in and also have to figure out how to switch from shore power to converter power for the 120 plugs. Could be interesting
Few pic updates
Bench seat and Battery/storage space
DSC_0058.jpg

Fridge / Stove counter/ with propane storage underneath
DSC_0059.jpg

Sink and storage cabinet with water storage tank under
DSC_0060 (Large).JPG
Sorry I can't seem to get this picture upright

mikes350

Another update , getting ready to drive from BC down to New Mexico so have been getting a few things finished up on the project.

Installed water tank and pump
DSC_0005 (Large).JPG
Got the fridge in and gave it a new face
DSC_0011 (Large).JPG
Sorted out the electrical
View attachment 223650
Built the bed
DSC_0030 (Large).JPG

Also installed the sink and counter tops
View attachment 223654

Sorry about the images again folks , everytime I turn them the right way they come out upside down or sideways on here

Last edited:

Paredneck

Observer
if you didn't get around to painting the bottom section yet what about doing spray on bed liner? it will seal it up good and will help keep it from sliding around as well as being a very durable finish. Love the project keep up the god work.

mikes350

The bed liner is an interesting idea , So far its just received one coat of gel coat , but I like the idea of a no slip surface on the bottom. 5 more days until the trip so I don't think it will get done until we get back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism