new replacement fuel tank for FSJ's

Overland

Observer
i have been in touch with the guys at BJ's offroad and they have finally come up with a new fuel tank for FSJ's. as far as i know there are no others out there. they come in mild steel, stainless steel or aluminum and look great. i am ordering one and will put up a review once i get it. can get them with new fuel sender to fix the problem of your fuel guage not reading correctly and with an internal electric pump for fuel injected rigs if needed.

check em out here

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=1097&cid=5

i guess this is the time for me to say i am not affiliated with them in any way...i am just a guy that is happy to finally change out the rusty old piece of crap fuel tank that i have just been waiting for it to spring a leak.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
consider the fact that you can go to a junkyard and pick up a 42 gallon suburban rear tank and it fits behind the rear axle with minor modifications. and it will only cost you about $20 for the fuel tank and $20 for some straps to mount the tank in the back. that price is really steep.

but some might call me cheap.:elkgrin:

Overland

Observer
consider the fact that you can go to a junkyard and pick up a 42 gallon suburban rear tank and it fits behind the rear axle with minor modifications. and it will only cost you about $20 for the fuel tank and $20 for some straps to mount the tank in the back. that price is really steep.

the thread wasnt started to debate the benefits of a new VS. old. it was started to let guys know that want a new one, there is finally one available.

if you want to promote the suburban tank conversion, maybe a thread about what year suburban to get a tank from, what mods need to be made to the tank and or jeep to make it fit, what part number for the straps needed, can the sender plug into my gauge and maybe some pics of an install. would have been handy.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

you sound kind of cheap there, dude.

:elkgrin:

good idea, tho.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
BTW, those are good prices. Between 500-1000 is pretty normal for a custom, pressure tested/leak tested gas tank.

Check out genright. they make TJ/LJ tanks and its about the same pricing..

ExpeditionJeep

OK, i'll bite. My fuel tank is fine, no rust so I don't need a factory replacement, but am very interested in more capacity as 21 gallons just isn't enough for my needs sooo, what year Suburban tank did you use and how much ground clearance is lost with this tank setup you're running? I've been looking at the aero setup, but am cheap as well and would be very interested in an alternative.
Marc

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Tank is out of a late 80s to early 90s burban.

like this

csb88-ron-n-ne.jpg

it fits between the rear frame rails behind the axle. i have not installed it yet as i have the whole jeep torn apart in my garage because i'm replacing the motor right now. hopefully in the next couple of weeks it'll be installed with my engine and drivetrain.

my guess is it won't sit any lower then the stock bumper. the tank is all ready to go in, its all cleaned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk