New Safari trailer(to me)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Try this company for mold & mildew; bleach isn't very safe or permanent...
http://www.nomold.com/

Bill

That's an interesting product, have you used it?

Looks like the surface is cleaned and then sprayed with an anti microbial. Primary usage on homes and hard surfaces. Looks to be a commercial product rather than something you can buy and apply yourself

Canvas can be treated in a similar way, clean the fabric, and then treat it with a diluted vinegar solution. From what I understand the vinegar is an anti microbial that won't effect the canvas. The last step is re waterproofing the fabric.

What a great trailer. A classic Safari Trailer.

You'll enjoy cleaning it up. You'll enjoy it even more out in the field.

Keep us posted on your work.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Bill

That's an interesting product, have you used it?
I met the owner of the company a few years ago and talked turkey with him. Interesting fellow that loves his trade.
I'm a facilities manager and have sent the product to other sites; I've never needed it myself.

rain76king

Adventurer
Ha! Martyn will eventualy see some of my money! For now I think the sandblasting company will greet my credit card. I'll just continue this thread with updates.. Updates may be a little slow, I'm currently doing alot of volunteer work on the weekends. I'm also in my spare time looking for a 96-02 4runner to replace my trusty 97 cherokee with 280k on the clock.
This weekend I'll only have a few hours so i plan to try to do some work with the tent and see what I can do. I have been opening it up during the day and letting the sun and fresh air at it.

Airborne Lee

Observer
Hey Rain76king: I love your M416 trailer. can you please give some details on the storage box on the tounge? The pictures look like the original tounge?

What size is it?
Where did you get it?
How much $?
What did you do with your parking brake?

thanks, I wish I would have found a deal like you did before I started down this path. I well over $1000 in my M416 and still do not have a RTT.

rain76king

Adventurer
Lee, the tongue box was a cheap harbor freight special http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66244 .
I paid $80 for it and didn't need it shipped because they are local to me. I don't know the dimensions off the top of my head but you can find them on the link. It fits nicely,works nicely and is inexpensive.
I threw the trailer together in less than a week to do a camping trip.
-A quick summary since I never did a write up on it because it wasn't going to be a long term set up.
The m416 was a cheap craigslist find with straight rails, lunette,landing leg, functioning hand brake and little rust!
I wire wheeled the entire frame and tub, primed it and spraybombed it with either rustoleum or krylon "hammered black". I liked it, it's textured and hides blemishes. I rhinolined the inside of the tub. The previous owner had cut out the back of the trailer, never added a tailgate or reinforced it. It makes the tub flimsy.I cut a peice of 3/4 ply to fit, drilled a few holes added few bolts and rhino lined it, then bolted it in place of the opening and caulked it, this made it easy in the future to unbolt it and do it to the rite way.
The lid again is wood, I took some 2x4's and a few peices of ply and sandwiched them together with some gorilla glue for strength. I stained it with a cheap deck stain to keep the water out. I cut the lid to be larger than the tub, that way I could add some weather stripping and keep the weather out.
The gas struts are junkyard ingenuity,I snagged them off the rear off a jeep cherokee and doubled them up with longer ones off of a kia van.
The hinges were cheap hardware store door hinges put together with lag bolts and stainless hardware.
The rack is from a nissan quest, with aftermarket yakimah mounts and crossbars(junkyard find $20). It was easy enough to just lag it through the ply and 2x4.
There is no latch to keep it closed. I just used ratcheting straps to close it up.
I already had the tent sitting around so I bolted it all together and called it a day!
I did however spend time and money wisely by making sure the axle was in good shape. Bearings were in good working order so we just repacked them added a new pair of Napa shocks and were off to the campground.
I did remove the handbrake. I wasn't a huge fan of that idea but it was again a quick project thrown together. I suspect you can just relocate it and use a few turnbuckles. Never looked into it much. I never changed the tongue, it's original. Again it was a cheap and quick project. all together with trailer, supplies, tent and tongue box I may have a thousand into it.

Last edited:

boss73

rain76king.

Thanks for posting the link for the front box. I ordered one up today. Its exactly what I have been looking for..

Airborne Lee

Observer
Yes thanks for the reply! I may have a half sheet of metal next week to play with so I'm going to wait and see. If so, I'll build it. Why buy one when you can spend a week, measuring cutting, bending, welding, going to the hardware store 4 times, exchanging parts 3 times, stripping, priming, painting, hammering, swearing, ordering hinges on line, custom fitting a strut, figuring out how to mount it, going back to the hardware store, giving up and then ordering the one you have. WWEEEEEEEE!:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater