New Tacoma vs Colorado vs Ranger

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
GM is issuing a stop sale of Colorado/Canyon due to software issues.

This is the same company that wants to remove Apple carplay and Android auto in favour of their own homebrewed approach, because its "better for the customer" :rolleyes:
They want to remove it so they can charge a monthly fee for their version. That Colorado seems like a nice truck but these domestics just lack in quality. Pretty sure the Colorado only lets you control hvac thru the screen which is very dumb.

dierkz

They want to remove it so they can charge a monthly fee for their version. That Colorado seems like a nice truck but these domestics just lack in quality. Pretty sure the Colorado only lets you control hvac thru the screen which is very dumb.
Yeah, that hvac control just thru the screen is a drawback.

bartheil

Yeah, that hvac control just thru the screen is a drawback.
The one thing that malfunctions in Zebra71, my 2018 Trailblazer (a 2018 Colorado with a trunk) is the touch screen.
Luckily I an control everything with knobs and buttons, including Apple CarPlay.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
FWIW, my 2 year old Ranger is in the shop as we speak getting a new drive shaft due to the infamous bearing issue within a certain build bracket on these trucks. So far my Wrangler was more reliable and solidly built than this vehicle.

MisterNoisy

And the headlights and pretty much everything in the truck.
On my '23 ZR2, HVAC interactions are via actual buttons or knobs, though the buttons are that godawful piano black plastic. The lights thing is something I've gotten used to but still think is kinda stupid, particularly for the fog lights where you actually have to go into the menus to toggle them.

I haven't experienced most of the other issues that were posted upthread, though I did have to open up the front fender liners a bit to reseat the fender flares, which weren't clipped fully in. Also, I already have a recall to deal with when they come up with a solution to the automatic braking activating spontaneously, but I've kept that 'feature' disabled from day one anyway. I do wish that they made the electronic nannies optional for those of us that spend their time driving actually driving instead of dorking around with their phones.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the truck over the first thousand miles, but we'll see as the miles and hours add up.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I have been skimming this thread, and some great comparisons have been made.

I am considering downsizing from a full-size HD truck back into a midsize.
My main reason is maintenance costs. I use my truck for work and put about 30k a yr on the vehicle. Half of that is Dirt. It seems like every time I go in for an oil change it ends up being close to 1k b/c I need to clean filters change dirty fluid etc..
I love my F250 diesel but the extra few thousand a year ( that work does not cover is annoying).

I think a slightly used ranger is the best deal going.
I have found quite a few XLTs with FX4 (for the locker) and the tow package for in the low 30's
payload is around 1600
tow 7500
not bad for a little truck

great little ranch truck

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have been skimming this thread, and some great comparisons have been made.

I am considering downsizing from a full-size HD truck back into a midsize.
My main reason is maintenance costs. I use my truck for work and put about 30k a yr on the vehicle. Half of that is Dirt. It seems like every time I go in for an oil change it ends up being close to 1k b/c I need to clean filters change dirty fluid etc..
I love my F250 diesel but the extra few thousand a year ( that work does not cover is annoying).

I think a slightly used ranger is the best deal going.
I have found quite a few XLTs with FX4 (for the locker) and the tow package for in the low 30's
payload is around 1600
tow 7500
not bad for a little truck

great little ranch truck
If you think you might need the capacity since it's a work truck but don't want the maintenance cost of a diesel, what about a 7.3 Super Duty?

jgallo1

Adventurer
If you think you might need the capacity since it's a work truck but don't want the maintenance cost of a diesel, what about a 7.3 Super Duty?
Last time I had a 7.3 it cost me so much in maintenance.
Gosh I do love those trucks

My struggle is that I need something that will comfortably be due 15-20 hwy around the west. Then 10-15k of Ranch/ logging/ forest and sometimes not a road ha ha.
Most of the other Federal workers all use gassers b/c the diesel components are heavier and more expensive to fix. They do take a beating. I have used a Diesel for towing horses around, I could always borrow a tow rig from on the ranches when pulling horses up to pack out.
Maybe a bulletproofed 7.3 is not a bad idea

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Last time I had a 7.3 it cost me so much in maintenance.
Gosh I do love those trucks

Maybe a bulletproofed 7.3 is not a bad idea
Not sure if you're thinking old PowerStroke when you mentioned bulletproofed?

I was thinking the 7.3 Godzilla. You could keep the same platform you like but lower buy in and maintenance.
I thought these new gas 7.3's were designed to be low maintenance engines?

jgallo1

Adventurer
Not sure if you're thinking old PowerStroke when you mentioned bulletproofed?

I was thinking the 7.3 Godzilla. You could keep the same platform you like but lower buy in and maintenance.
I thought these new gas 7.3's were designed to be low maintenance engines?
ha ha yes I think you are right. I still have not trained my brain for the new 7.3 association.

Markal

I’ve put a deposit down for a Tacoma Trd Off Road with the premium package, $53k😬

I continue to have second thoughts and look at used Frontiers (which I’ve tested and it’s OK) and used Rangers. I’m sure the Tacoma will be great, just don’t know if I really want to spend that much.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Help with a midsize truck decision.
I am going to buy a Ranger or Tacoma, I don't think I will buy a new one b/c I am only interested in an access cab 6ft bed.
I also need a locking diff. ( I know I can add one). I guess you can still get a 2024 Tacoma 4x4 access cab just no the TRD (so no locking diff).
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on reliability and the better platform is. The truck will see HWY and a lot of dirt, no rock crawling but logging roads, shale, snow, and mud.
Thanks

85_Ranger4x4

Help with a midsize truck decision.
I am going to buy a Ranger or Tacoma, I don't think I will buy a new one b/c I am only interested in an access cab 6ft bed.
I also need a locking diff. ( I know I can add one). I guess you can still get a 2024 Tacoma 4x4 access cab just no the TRD (so no locking diff).
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on reliability and the better platform is. The truck will see HWY and a lot of dirt, no rock crawling but logging roads, shale, snow, and mud.
Thanks

FWIW you can get a rear locker on any Ranger, even a base model 2wd. It is a stand alone option.

I have never driven either but I really like the ergonomics of the Ranger cab over the Tacoma cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333