New Tacoma vs Colorado vs Ranger

Grassland

@Grassland

I wonder why did Ford not put the 3.3 PFDI in Ranger?
I personally think it would be better move. At least the for lower trims.
Probably packaging reasons and/or that the market is pointing towards boosted smaller engines for lifestyle trucks. Like CAFE stuff. Stay out of the boost driving slow to the hardware or box store for some mulch or a few 2x4s or fence posts and the fuel economy on paper is probably better.
If I wasn't going to run larger tires and a bunch of weight I'd rock a 3.3 F150.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Probably packaging reasons and/or that the market is pointing towards boosted smaller engines for lifestyle trucks. Like CAFE stuff. Stay out of the boost driving slow to the hardware or box store for some mulch or a few 2x4s or fence posts and the fuel economy on paper is probably better.
If I wasn't going to run larger tires and a bunch of weight I'd rock a 3.3 F150.
The 2.7 is quite a bit more motor from a torque standpoint

Grassland

The 2.7 is quite a bit more motor from a torque standpoint
Oh yes, but originally I figured Ranger would have the 3.3 and not the 2.3 EB.
On paper the 2.3 EB probably shows better fuel economy.

In an F150 that I'd "overland" in etc I'd go 2.7.

The aluminum SCAB F150 with 3.3 is more comparable in power to weight to the NA V6 mid size crew cabs.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My ‘19 Ranger had a great turning radius, even better than you’d think.

I went to a double cab long box Chevy 2500. It can barely do a U turn onto a three lane road.
I keep thinking a GM double cab shortbox 2500 might replace this truck when the time comes.

IFS has never been an issue with the driving I do. Kids will be older / moved out so no need for a crew cab (+ more payload vs comparable crew cab) and I like how the GM double cab doors open independently of the front ones. Drove older GM extended cab and it was a pain in the but loading things into the back seat in parking lots.

GM HD's also have available Auto 4WD which is a big convenience with our crappy winter roads 6 months of the year.....

What made you do the switch? That's a big change.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I keep thinking a GM double cab shortbox 2500 might replace this truck when the time comes.

IFS has never been an issue with the driving I do. Kids will be older / moved out so no need for a crew cab (+ more payload vs comparable crew cab) and I like how the GM double cab doors open independently of the front ones. Drove older GM extended cab and it was a pain in the but loading things into the back seat in parking lots.

GM HD's also have available Auto 4WD which is a big convenience with our crappy winter roads 6 months of the year.....

What made you do the switch? That's a big change.
We just did a 1300 mile road trip towing our little 3,500lb camper over the mountains and dessert etc., truck didn’t use a drip of oil. The double cab was tight when I was sitting in the passenger seat with my brother-in-law sitting behind me, I’m 5’10”and he’s 6’2. I was hoping the crew cab Ranger and double cab Chevy would be basically the same legroom, and on paper it is. In real life the double cab(ext cab) Chevy seems like it has less leg room. Don’t usually have anyone in the back though.

I just wanted a big truck again. The Ranger had plenty of power but I didn’t like the 18 gallon tank, and it got blown around a lot on the Highway.

I got fed up looking for the right half ton, with the big gas tank, towing gears, you have to add towing mirrors if I want them, etc. etc. and then you get stuff like direct injection, variable displacement on demand which may or may not be reliable. It was just easier to get a three-quarter ton. It was more basic and had what I wanted.

Finding a half ton with the options I wanted would have cost more than the basic WT trim 2500 I bought. And I like the big truck. I owned a bunch of midsize and a couple of three-quarter tons, still haven’t owned half ton..

ChasingOurTrunks

What if you wanted to do something silly with your new, shiny, 315hp/400 ft-lbs truck? like tow? Or even just run some aggressive 33's and and RTT and stuff. Thats where the 18 gallons sucks.

I honestly think Ford does it to keep the Ranger from stepping on the F150's toes. If they made it too capable(like a mid 20's gallon tank and a 6' bed), then suddenly there is a ton of overlap into the 3.3 and 2.7L F150's and we can't have that. There is no reason they couldnt have fit a larger tank in a 130" wheelbase leaf sprung truck when Toyota is able to fit a 23 gallon tank in a 109" wheelbase 4Runner/GX with a linked rear axle.

What if I wanted to go explore the Marianas Trench with my new (used), shiny (well used) 315hp/400 ft-lbs truck?

I'd sell it and buy a Submarine ;)

I'm kidding, but jokes aside -- the fuel issue is a non-issue for me in my use case, and the use case drives the decision on what truck to buy, and midsize trucks fit a use case that full size do not. I don't run larger tires - never needed more than 32s to get anywhere - and for towing, my current rig suits me just fine with it's 7k tow rating. While it certainly does drink the fuel when towing, I don't do that very often for it to matter enough for me to trade my truck for a different one. Two jerry cans -- which are cheap and easy -- puts me in the mid 20's you identified in terms of the amount of fuel I'm bringing along, and I rarely need it. When I do, I have it.

If I was towing a lot, I would get a different vehicle because my use case would be different. And I'd likely skip the half-ton class and go straight for the HD series. If I was wanting to mount super big tires, I wouldn't be going with an IFS rig because it's way easier to go with big tires on a solid axle.

I don't know why Ford spec's the cars the way they do - maybe it's to avoid cannibalizing from the F-150 (or with Chevy, the Silverado). Maybe it's CAFE standards. Maybe its' engineering/crash ratings -- there could be a lot of things driving the decision and it's likely a combination of things. But, the mid-size fits my use case better (as it does for a lot of folks), hence why they sell like hotcakes - it's partially empty hype, but it's also significantly that they do a particular set of jobs in a particular way that works better for a lot of folks.

My point is - my use case means for sure a compromise on some things, but those are very liveable and not deal breakers. The full size trucks represent a compromise too -- but that compromise is a lot more expensive and/or impossible to address, and to me that would be a deal breaker. I cannot make a full size truck more narrow, which for example last weekend, would have meant skipping this part or destroying the environment on either side of the trail, which I am not willing to do.

IMG_2920.JPG

jaywo

Are your requirements 'fully loaded', 'dual lockers' and 'external reservoir shocks'? I mean those are certainly nice to have, but not required for 99% of expedition work. Kinda feels like you are ruling out a few rigs with those, unless those are truly deal breakers....they very well may be, just asking.

A deal breaker for sure is truck vs SUV.

Where are these remote campsites out of curiosity?

Fully loaded is a requirement. My overland vehicle is my daily drive (work from home) and I want the comfort and tech features.

As for dual lockers etc at the end of the day my requirement is to get me where I want easily.
Yesterday I came back from a backpacking trip. 2 hours of dirt road to reach the highway with washboard hell. With the Bronco on 35s and 25psi I could bomb 65mph with control and full comfort. On the way in, we shuttled (it’s a one way backpacking trip) with a friend in his highlander. We were going 15mph and it was hell on earth.

So not only I do need the off-road capability to go to places you can’t reach with a normal SUV, but I also need it to save a ton of time and comfort on regular dirt road.
I had a regular SUV for years. My overlanding life changed with the Bronco. Go further much faster, arrive with more energy to camp or your hiking or whatever you are doing. It’s priceless. I want 35s and a proper suspension setup for sure.

By the way, bad news for the Tacoma. A guy asked the engineer at the overland expo about how is the TRD pro and trailhunter 3in wider track. They said it’s just wheel offset and suspension travel is similar to old gen (which is abysmal). the ZR2 and raptor both have longer lower control arms etc making for a true mid travel setup (10in front 12 in rear).
And you gonna pay raptor price for a trd pro. Deal breaker for me unless I buy a TRD offroad and build it

Last edited:

ChasingOurTrunks

Fully loaded is a requirement. My overland vehicle is my daily drive (work from home) and I want the comfort and tech features.

As for dual lockers etc at the end of the day my requirement is to get me where I want easily.
Yesterday I came back from a backpacking trip. 2 hours of dirt road to reach the highway with washboard hell. With the Bronco on 35s and 25psi I could bomb 65mph with control and full comfort. On the way in, we shuttled (it’s a one way backpacking trip) with a friend in his highlander. We were going 15mph and it was hell on earth.

I am not sure if I would have preferred the Bronco on the way in - to start the hike fresh - or the Bronco on the way out after being exhausted from the hike. Either way I feel your pain (and the joy of the right solution for the use case).

jaywo

The Bison was revealed yesterday. It’s an absolute joke. Let me explain:

- they stick 35s on the ZR2 which is awesome but they didn’t change the gearing, so you can just buy a ZR2 and throw 35s for cheaper
- they throw a 0.5in spacer lift which you can do for $200 on your ZR2
- they throw hydraulic bump stops which is awesome but starting 2024 the regular ZR2 will have the mounts for it and you can equip it as a factory option
- the 35 doesn’t fit under the bed (it’s confirmed by the Australians that the ranger raptor fits a 35) so it uses half of your bed space which is a nice joke from GM.
- the payload is the cherry on the cake, 1000lbs. What a joke lol.

Bison is eliminated. Yesterday I got in line for a Tacoma with a deposit. I am trying to get in line for a raptor but they charge a markup which I will die before I pay a markup on any vehicle.

So far for me it’s Raptor (the fun choice) or Tacoma (the reasonable choice because I clearly don’t need 400HP V6 and it breaks my heart to burn gas if I don’t need to when the Tacoma has a hybrid engine).

I sat in a new colorado yesterday then the new tundra. The Chevy was more comfortable. The tundra seat is very hard. I never liked Toyota comfort. My bronco seat comfort is incredible.
The infotainment of the Colorado was better than the Toyota. Super responsive.

Ultimately I am waiting for Taco price and payload. If both are nice especially payload, I might go Taco. If they suck, then I will try to get the raptor. If I can’t get it for MSRP then I will buy a ZR2 despite the ************ payload. This is my conclusion so far.
To be continued.

ChasingOurTrunks

The Nissan Frontier is, I think, one of the best looking mid-sizers on the market right now (subjective of course), and the Pro4X package has an electronic rear locker and a few other decent off road goodies.

But, like the others, it's got a 1200 pound payload. That's pretty low for a truck that only really features Bilstein Shocks in place of the normal ones by the looks of it -- no fancy long travel suspension like the Bison or Raptor. Even the non-Pro4X models are only sitting at around 1400 lbs which isn't exactly worth writing home about. Too bad, as it's probably a very reliable little rig, but they missed it a bit on the specifications.

jaywo

The Nissan Frontier is, I think, one of the best looking mid-sizers on the market right now (subjective of course), and the Pro4X package has an electronic rear locker and a few other decent off road goodies.

But, like the others, it's got a 1200 pound payload. That's pretty low for a truck that only really features Bilstein Shocks in place of the normal ones by the looks of it -- no fancy long travel suspension like the Bison or Raptor. Even the non-Pro4X models are only sitting at around 1400 lbs which isn't exactly worth writing home about. Too bad, as it's probably a very reliable little rig, but they missed it a bit on the specifications.
I hate the look of it (this is very subjective) and the fact that the payload is not good are why I eliminated it already.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I hate the look of it (this is very subjective) and the fact that the payload is not good are why I eliminated it already.
Personally I just don't trust Nissan's past 160K Miles.
This is following a crappy experience with my old 2003 Xterra, my daughters old 2008 Altima Coupe and her boyfriends 2007 Pathfinder. They all fell apart at 160,000 miles / 200,000 kms. The engine in my Xterra actually grenaded with just over 200,000 kms on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333