New to Jeeps and Overlanding.

kmlacroix

Explorer
My wife and I did a lot of camping before kids, some with them, then let life get in the way. Now, kids are off to college and we have time, money and will to get back to getting away. We have our first Jeep, a 2014 JGC Overland diesel. As it is a new model this is not a lot of mods for it yet. We recently moved to Colorado and there is way too much outdoors to stay in. Any helpful advice is welcome as we learn a different way to be outdoors.

Thanks,
Kevin

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the forum! :beer:

There are some great 4 wheel drive clubs in Colorado. Would be a great way to get your "feet in the door", and start learning/enjoying the trail systems.
Man, there is so much diversity in Colorado. From old ghost towns, to awesome resorts, boulder fields, to forests. You picked an awesome place to live.

Might stop by a local 4x4 parts store, and ask about the local clubs, and their interests. Make some local contacts and get those tires dirty/snowy/muddy. :)

yeol1

My advice is to get out there and see what the jeep can do stock( with a decent set of tires of course). Depending on what you all want to do you might not need to modify your jeep much, also the more you wheel your jeep stock the better your driving skills become. The first mod I always suggest is recovery gear, that way you can get yourself unstuck or over a rock.
Also as was already stated join a local club. You will find a bunch of like minded people with the knowledge your looking for.
I'll restate get out there and enjoy your jeep it is an extremely capable vehicle in stock form.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
My advice is to get out there and see what the jeep can do stock( with a decent set of tires of course). Depending on what you all want to do you might not need to modify your jeep much, also the more you wheel your jeep stock the better your driving skills become. The first mod I always suggest is recovery gear, that way you can get yourself unstuck or over a rock.
Also as was already stated join a local club. You will find a bunch of like minded people with the knowledge your looking for.
I'll restate get out there and enjoy your jeep it is an extremely capable vehicle in stock form.

And even stock tires. The more you wheel the better you will understand what you want and what you Jeep is capable of. I agree with the recovery gear. And with the new GC not sure how much is available in the realm of recovery. I'd start with a pair of MAXTRAX, a decent strap... I'd also start looking at storage options, one of things you don't really need to modify the jeep much to accomplish. Also, we'd love to see a picture of the new heep.. And welcome to ExPo!!

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
Wish I could pack up and move out there! I agree with the others. Get a good strap or a few. I'm assuming with the diesel you have a hitch so a receiver shackle is good for rear recovery. Look into some type of tow hooks up front. You might be able to find some stock ones online for a fair price as I'm not sure for sftermarket ones.

Besides that I agree on taking it out a few times in stock forum to truely see where you are at and want to be. Join a club and I'm sure you will have a buddy or many ready at anytime for a trip.

Post pictures!

yeol1

Make sure you add a hilift jack to your recovery gear. It makes a great winch for when you don't have one.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
One of my buddies that I wheel with a lot has a '14 GC. We don't do very technical stuff, but he does okay. We have to pick his lines very carefully because ground clearance is an issue. With the tires aired down, the four wheel drive does quite well, but as I said you'll be limited due to ground clearance. His Jeep has tow hooks front and rear, so you should be okay there. As mentioned before, I recommend the full compliment of recovery gear and also wheeling with another rig.

goin camping

Explorer
You have front tow hooks and rear hitch so… A couple straps and a Hi Lift jack and just get out there and explore. The internet will lead you to trails and areas to try.

Grab your camping gear and go.

( See sig below ;) )

yeol1

When you get to modifying your vehicle look into bumpers and sliders. From the ones I've seen it looks like the front and rear bumper will get in the way on the trail.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Last edited:

brandonhedberg

Adventurer
I have a WK2 / Grand Cherokee Overland and recommend a set of Mopar sliders and skid plates. Not all Overlands are trail rated from the factory (which includes all the skid plates).

I've been on trails in Az and Co and these are needed protection from the rocks.

Also, if you have adaptive cruise control be sure to remove the sensor and lower front facia before off roading. The manual explains how.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zj egg

Jump onto traildamage.com great resource for planning your next trail as it has relatively accurate trail descriptions with difficulty levels

kmlacroix

Explorer
The rock sliders (Mopar) are going on next week. My Overland has the air suspension (OR2). It comes with the tow hooks. skid plates. I have the DEF injector guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater