New to me 2003 Excursion

BnBRacing

New here, so I figured I'd start a thread. I'm a firefighter from just outside of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I just picked up a new ride the other day. It's a 2003 excursion 6.0L diesel. It's been bulletproofed to fix all the common 6.0L problems (head studs, EGR delete, new HPOP, etc). It's got the 05 grille/Harley headlights, a 6" BDS suspension lift with brand new 37" Toyo open country MTs on new 18" XD wheels, aftermarket front bumper with 8" 70 watt each HID KC's. Performance wise, it's got a 5" turbo back magnaflow exhaust (quiet), air raid filter, blue spring mod & banjo bolt, and a SCT Livewire programmer that I'm waiting on my custom tune for.

Plans are to build a full-roof length rack with removable ladder, throw my 42" LED light bar on it, build a swing away tire/hi-lift/axe/shovel/jerry can holder mounted to the stock rear bumper/hitch receiver, pull the third row out & build/buy as light of drawer system as possble (to lock the AR-15 and necessities in).

This isn't my first 4wd. I've had a 91 K5 that was lifted on TSL's, and I miss that ride the most! I owned a Class 3/Jeepspeed Wrangler I raced the Baja 500 in, and that's what the light bar & KC's came off of.

Enough jibba jabba, here's what you clicked the thread for...

20140209_113109_zpstspaezbh.jpg

20140209_113022_zpsvdugjhgj.jpg

BnBRacing

Nice. I have a VERY similar setup. 6" Zone Offroad lift (made by BDS) and 37" Toyo MTs. I also have the same grille and headlights that I need to install on Tuesday along with a 50" LED bar in a couple of weeks (have the bar, need to build the roof rack).

I'll be following your build for sure.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120064-ExploringNH-s-2000-Ford-Excursion-build

I've been watching yours. You've got a nice rig!

It'll be a while before I get anything done to mine, as I'm in the process of building a sport bike powered Polaris RZR. The roof rack and swing-away carrier will be all laser cut brackets. A good friend of mine owns a metal fab shop, so I'm gonna have them cut all the brackets & tabs, then i'll tack everything in place before having him weld everything up. I might throw some type of design or logo on the brackets for fun. I haven't decided yet if I want to run a linear actuator to raise/hide the LED bar so that it's less likely to be stolen. I'll probably have him fab up a neat looking receiver style multi mount for a winch. Although we were sponsored by WARN for Baja, I can't afford to get one of their 12k+ winches for this rig, so it'll be a cheaper brand that hopefully will rarely get used.

BnBRacing

For the RZR, I've got an 06 R6 motor sitting in my garage, but I'm trying to decide if I want to run it or if I want to go with a RC51 motor since I'll be using it for mostly trail riding, with some really tight sections. Running a Protodie live-axle with their wilwood inboard brakes.

BnBRacing

also, XRRider, I'm gonna need the specs on that BRP! I had a plated 01 sumo/dual sport that I put a ton of miles on. I sold it to help fund the Baja trip, but I miss that bike more than most of my other sumos for the shear fact that with just a wheel/tire change, I could do anything from track days, to single track, to a week straight in the mountains.

BnBRacing

thanks guys

Great looking Excursion! Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

thanks. I'll tell ya what, i'll take the hit and do you a favor by trading you for your raptor. I know I know, my loss is your gain, but that's just how nice of guy I am!

BnBRacing

Nice truck! What kind of mileage do y'all see in those 6.0's that are lifted like that?

I'm honestly not sure yet. So far I've had a problem keeping the skinny pedal off the floor... a good friend of mine runs a performance diesel shop, and he guessed at 16-17 mpg with the 37's and when I can stay off the floor. It would be a few mpg better with smaller tires.

Last edited:

xbox73

Adventurer
Also depends on front & rear axle gearing (e.g. 3.73 vs 4.56), and whether you're willing to give up some MPGs for better acceleration & towing performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333