New to me Roamin' Chariot camper!

Just just got a sweet deal on a romain chariot camper. Picked it up for $500. It's a 1985 romain' chariot PPP up camper. It is made for a long bed compact pickup. It's in solid condition but over the winter plan to do a full remodel on in. Since the goal is for me and my wife to use it to travel to South America and beyond. It's mounted on my 1990 toyota xtra cab with the 22reimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks!! I plan on doing a full interior and exterior remodel. What's cool about the Roamin' chariot campers is they are welded aluminum frame construction so should have a solid base to work from. All in all its in pretty good condition for the age. The guy I bought it from inherited it from his dad who bought it new in 85. My plans so far are gonna be as follows but I'm always open to input.

New bottom section: gonna change the shape just a little to be mounted on a flatbed with side boxes
New aluminum siding and roof: gonna go with smooth siding for a more modern look
New interior panelling
Some more electric: led lighting, outlets to power fridge, and maybe an inverted( truck will get dual battery setup)
Fantastic roof vent
New pop-up material
Possibly a smev stove/sink combo
awning

I'm sure this list will keep growing as I use it a few times and decide what me and the wife want/need. Next weekend will be our first trip with it. Gonna go to the beach for a late honeymoon. If anyone has ideas or suggestions please send them my way I want this build to be well thought out and well done.

Thanks I can't wait to get started renovating it, but I have a few other projects I have to finish first. I'm halfway done with assembling the new engine for my truck. My truck has almost 300k on the original engine and she is starting to get a lil tired. So I am building a new 22re with a rv head and a mild camshaft to squeeze a lil more out of the 4cyl. After that is done I will start tearing down the camper.

So took the camper out for its shakedown run to the beach. All in all a nice lil camper stayed very warm despite it being pretty cool at night. It poured down rain last night and didn't find any leaks so that is a huge plus. This weekend did show some areas in the camper that need some serious thought. As for the sleeping arrangement with the angled pop up the bed is extremely uncomfortable and claustrophobic. So my first thought is to turn this into a full pop. Does anyone have any experience with doing that.image.jpg

kerry

Expedition Leader
No but I was thinking the same thing just looking at your pictures. I don't see the advantage of just popping one end.

Ya I'm not sure but after using it I can't find one. When I remodel the camper this winter it is definitely becoming a full pop up. My wife is about 3-4 inches taller than me (I'm a short guy at 5'5") and she hates the bed setup in the camper so if I can't fix that and make the wife happy well...you know. Other than that I was impressed with the camper especially for being as old as it is, it's still very solid. My truck also handled it better that I thought. My gas mileage is actually pretty close to the same with the camper. Once I get the new engine in my truck it will be a lot better.image.jpg

Roamin' Chariot

Is this project dead? ... I'm a Chariot owner too.

The advantage I see to the pop-up on the single end it is simpler and a less weight to lift. The disadvantage is she's a snug fit. I have the short box small Roamin' and we call it the "Yoga Camper" since you have to do several yoga poses to get into bed. Wife and I get in and out one at a time. Your's is the longer version, I'm guessing 7'? I would look at adding some plywood to enable pulling the bed out another foot. There'd still be room for dressing and you'd pick up quite a bit of foot and head room.

I'd love to see pic's if you didn't give up on this one.

readydan

Still working on this camper? Or are you on your journey by now?
About the sleeping arrangement, what if you sleep with your feet towards the front of the truck?

I have a Roamin Chariot of this same size to fit onto a small size truck. What improvements or modifications did you complete? Would be great to see some "After " pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL