New to this...

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
I am new to Expeditions and I wanted to know some general information.
I drive a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5spd.
What are generally the first and most helpful modifications that you can do to enhance your vehicles abilities?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
welcome

first welcome to the group

second - what is your interests, that changes what (if anything) to do with the truck? There is a very varied group of folks here, with hobbies/interests going in every direction. Your truck is great in the stock form, so I think understanding what your goals are will help.

did you look at www.bajataco.com yet?

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Well I live in the Panhandle of Florida so most of the stuff around here is a lot of sand. I am wanting to find other places within 3-4 hours away that will give me other terrain and such to try.
I currently have some 2.0 Sway-A-Ways that I bought used and are a little saggy but still give 1.5-2" of lift. My leaf springs out back are old, flat and worn out. I am using a 1.5" lift shackle out back. My tires are 265/75R16 that are by some brand I have never even heard of. These are decent offroad but are wearing unevely and are terrible on road.

No, I have not seen that website yet. I will check it out now. Thank you.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Welcome to ExPo!

If you have street tires on your truck, going to off road tires (BFG AT or MT) would be a good first step. But as mtnbike28 said, it all depends on your interests.

What do you want to do with your rig?

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
I have used BFG AT's on a previous vehicle of mine and I loved them. My brother also uses BFG MT's on his Jeep and they are also great tires.
One thing that I was noticing on www.BajaTaco.com is that he is running a 32x11.50 made for a 15" rim. I have the exact same factory rims and mine are 16". Is he fitting a 15" tire onto a 16" rim?

For now I am new and am wanting to find some places to go camping and such with some various terrain so I can find my favorite. All I have experience with right now is a lot of sand.
So basically I don't have one particular thing that I am after.

Carlyle

Explorer
Most stock trucks can go just about anywhere you need to be and some with careful driving and planning. If it was me, I would concentrate on getting some camping gear and getting out there. Plan ahead and make some trips. After you get back decide what you need to upgrade and research the heck out of it.

Get out there and have some fun! Worry about the bling later.

adrenaline503

Explorer
You cannot run a 15" tire on a 16" wheel. I don't know what the stock size is, but can get the 32X11.5 in either 15" or 16", so you could just order what you need.

7wt

Expedition Leader
TacoTraveler said:
Well I live in the Panhandle of Florida so most of the stuff around here is a lot of sand. I am wanting to find other places within 3-4 hours away that will give me other terrain and such to try.
I currently have some 2.0 Sway-A-Ways that I bought used and are a little saggy but still give 1.5-2" of lift. My leaf springs out back are old, flat and worn out. I am using a 1.5" lift shackle out back. My tires are 265/75R16 that are by some brand I have never even heard of. These are decent offroad but are wearing unevely and are terrible on road.

No, I have not seen that website yet. I will check it out now. Thank you.

Have you checked out the Eglin recreation area yet? There are tons of trails and all sorts of things to see out there. As previously stated, the BFG's AT's work remarkably well on and off road. They are a good fit for the sand down in that area.

I have a 2000 Tacoma, pretty much stock other than the grey wire mod, a fabtech suspension lift (only 3") and BFG AT's. That truck can get me most places I need to go when I need to get far away from other people.

There are some cool spots near Ocala, I am not sure if you consider that a bit far. In what part of the panhandle are you living? Most of my family is in Apalachicola.

Check out North Florida Cruiserheads they are mostly Landcruiser guys, but they seem like a very nice and welcoming bunch. They have regular meets and trips in Nor Fl.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
A very wise man once said "With a fridge, a stock Toyota can go almost everywhere in Baja" (Scott Brady, 2006).

OK, all kidding aside. Priorities would be good tires and protection. Never go into the bush without protection:rolleyes:

Sliders, skidplates, etc.

Also, get comfortable driving the truck off road. Most off road driving is driver ability and not the vehicle.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
TacoTraveler said:
I am new to Expeditions and I wanted to know some general information.
I drive a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5spd.
What are generally the first and most helpful modifications that you can do to enhance your vehicles abilities?

First, welcome to ExPo.

To answer your question directly, the most helpful modifications for any overland vehicle are:

1) Driver knowledge
2) Tires

Spend some time on this site, join a group or sign up for a training course to build up your knowledge. With the right driver, even a stock vehicle can tour the four corners of the globe. If you are very new to overlanding, consider Bill Burke's videos as a nice way to spend a cold evening.

Next, ensure you have a good set of tires. You only (or at least you should only) have 4 places on your truck that you contact the earth. Without good contact you can't get anywhere. Get a high quality tire that suits the terrain you want to travel and learn how to set your air pressure for the terrain. With this, you will go far.

Pete

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
This has all been great information.
To be more specific, I live in Gulf Breeze which is a town right outside of Pensacola.
I do go over to Eglin. I was looking at the map today and I am wanting to do a 3 day trip through there probably in the next three weeks, anyone interested?
Bunch of Land Cruiser guys, eh? My truck is still Toyota... I don't see why they would shun me away.
Off road driving is actually the one place I do have experience in, although it may not be a whole lot. That and camping. I love the two so I figure why not combine them and that led me here.
I want the BFG 32x11.50 but I can't find it for a 16" rim. So would you advise going with a 265/75 (31.6x10.4) or a 285/75 (32.8x11.2)? Both will fit just fine with no rubbing issues.

sami

Explorer
TacoTraveler said:
This has all been great information.
To be more specific, I live in Gulf Breeze which is a town right outside of Pensacola.
I do go over to Eglin. I was looking at the map today and I am wanting to do a 3 day trip through there probably in the next three weeks, anyone interested?
Bunch of Land Cruiser guys, eh? My truck is still Toyota... I don't see why they would shun me away.
Off road driving is actually the one place I do have experience in, although it may not be a whole lot. That and camping. I love the two so I figure why not combine them and that led me here.
I want the BFG 32x11.50 but I can't find it for a 16" rim. So would you advise going with a 265/75 (31.6x10.4) or a 285/75 (32.8x11.2)? Both will fit just fine with no rubbing issues.

I run an A/T style tire in the 285/75 flavor.. I highly recommend this size.. It's big enough to give you good clearance and avoid any major rubbing... I do notice some rubbage on the upper suspension arm, but that is of very little concern to me as I know folks have run that way for 5+ years.. I also have an OME lift, and ranthe 265's prior to the lift... Just make sure that whatever tire you end up with, that it is LT rated.. there are alot of 265's out there that are passenger rated... no good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach