New to this...

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Well I just did some more math to make sure I was correct on the 285/75 tires, they fit.
I think I am going to go with Load Range D and not E for two reasons.
1. I drive a mid-size truck, I don't need super load carrying tires.
2. The D tires have a tread depth of 17/32 and the E's have 15/32 tread depth.

Here comes a nice new set of BFG A/T 285/75 tires on my Tacoma! Just in time to test them at Eglin for a few days while camping.

sami

Explorer
TacoTraveler said:
Well I just did some more math to make sure I was correct on the 285/75 tires, they fit.
I think I am going to go with Load Range D and not E for two reasons.
1. I drive a mid-size truck, I don't need super load carrying tires.
2. The D tires have a tread depth of 17/32 and the E's have 15/32 tread depth.

Here comes a nice new set of BFG A/T 285/75 tires on my Tacoma! Just in time to test them at Eglin for a few days while camping.

Excellent choice!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Welcome mate. great choice in trucks, it's hard to go wrong with a Toyota eh ;)

In terms of what to start with, I feel like SLiders should be at the top of the list, Followed by some gas for the truck so you can get out there.

A winch is a great thing espescialy for a stocker. Then bigger ires and gears to match.

Good luck with the build adn let us know how it's going eh.

Cheers

Dave

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Well, the tires just happen to come early because my mom felt that I needed a new set so she was willing to pay for a good portion of them.
As far as the gas to get out there and the winch; well, the best I can do for now is a 5 gallon gas can and an 8,000lb come-along. This come-along has proved itself to be a good alternative for a winch, for now.
My next step is to obtain a skid plate, the previous owner took it off so I am currently running unprotected. Once I have this done then I will move on to some sliders.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
TacoTraveler said:
Well, the tires just happen to come early because my mom felt that I needed a new set so she was willing to pay for a good portion of them.
As far as the gas to get out there and the winch; well, the best I can do for now is a 5 gallon gas can and an 8,000lb come-along. This come-along has proved itself to be a good alternative for a winch, for now.
My next step is to obtain a skid plate, the previous owner took it off so I am currently running unprotected. Once I have this done then I will move on to some sliders.
Cool man, sounds like you've got a good start, I don't have a winch either, but as you say, when it really counts, a Hi-lift and a come-along can do the trick too. A 5 galon Jerry can is a great thing to have as well, I was just saying put gas in the truck and go.

What are the spec on your truck?? TRD?? Locker?? What size/type/brand tires are you going to run??

Cheers

Dave

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Oh, I thought you meant have some extra gas. Haha
My truck is a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with the 3.4 v6, a 5spd manual, and manual everything. It says TRD on the side but it really isn't so I have no lockers. I am going to be running a 285/75R16 BFG A/T tire. I should be getting them in the next few days.
My suspension: Up front I have 2.0 Sway-A-Ways that I bought used so they aren't quite giving full lift but I'm still getting 2" out of them. Out back I have some dead and flat leaf springs with a 1.5" lift shackle from Rough Country.

7wt

Expedition Leader
TacoTraveler said:
Oh, I thought you meant have some extra gas. Haha
My truck is a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with the 3.4 v6, a 5spd manual, and manual everything. It says TRD on the side but it really isn't so I have no lockers. I am going to be running a 285/75R16 BFG A/T tire. I should be getting them in the next few days.
My suspension: Up front I have 2.0 Sway-A-Ways that I bought used so they aren't quite giving full lift but I'm still getting 2" out of them. Out back I have some dead and flat leaf springs with a 1.5" lift shackle from Rough Country.
Be careful before you write off the SAWs. Most coilovers like my Donahoes and the SAW are only set at 1.5" from the factory. It takes a lot to wear out these coils. Depending on the version of SAWs you have, you may probably have 650lb coils. If you need more lift, add a couple turns of preload but don't go too high, the ride will suffer. I kept mine at the 1.5" range because it allows me to run the tire I want and give the results I was looking for. I use 235/85/16s btw.

Funny you mentioned the TRD sticker on a non TRD truck. I saw a lot of that when I lived in Pensacola. I think it was a "dealer option" in the way of a sticker kit. I had a secret fishing spot in Gulf Breeze, always good for a couple of trout or a red.

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
7wt said:
Be careful before you write off the SAWs. Most coilovers like my Donahoes and the SAW are only set at 1.5" from the factory. It takes a lot to wear out these coils. Depending on the version of SAWs you have, you may probably have 650lb coils. If you need more lift, add a couple turns of preload but don't go too high, the ride will suffer. I kept mine at the 1.5" range because it allows me to run the tire I want and give the results I was looking for. I use 235/85/16s btw.

Funny you mentioned the TRD sticker on a non TRD truck. I saw a lot of that when I lived in Pensacola. I think it was a "dealer option" in the way of a sticker kit. I had a secret fishing spot in Gulf Breeze, always good for a couple of trout or a red.

My SAWs are already cranked all the way up. They are set a 2" of lift right now. I know they are sagging because the truck is perfectly level but one coil has an extra turn and a half in it.

Pensacola local! Why did you leave? Where is this secret fishing spot? I always went to Peak's Point.
What dealer was it? I got my truck at Bob Tyler Toyota back in March. I have seen two other Tacomas with the TRD sticker on them but when I looked at the axle it was not a TRD axle.

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Well sad news... The BFG A/T 285/75R16 tires where $189 a piece and that is just a little out of budget.
Can anyone else suggest another good tire in that size that cost less?
I've heard that Nitto Terra Grapplers are good tires and fairly priced, can anyone comment?
What about Cooper Discovery STT?

sami

Explorer
MAXXIS BIGHORNS

265/75/16 ~ $134 per tire

235/85/16 ~ $142 per tire

maxxis%20bighorn.jpg

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Streakerfreak said:
Sorry to say the Coopers will be expensive too.

Actually I just called Big 10 Tires. BFG A/T 285/75R16 was right at $900. The Coopers are coming in at a little over $600. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Cooper STTs.

The only thing that I am afriad about with the STTs is tread life. I know the BFGs would last me 60k miles easily. The STTs I keep reading reviews about how they only last 30,000 miles.

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
TacoTraveler said:
I've heard that Nitto Terra Grapplers are good tires and fairly priced, can anyone comment?

I am not a big fan of Nitto TG's. In my experience, they were unstable in the snow. It was as if someone slopped some bearing grease in the treads. Bridgestone REVO's were better and my current BFG KO's are great.

TacoTraveler said:
Actually I just called Big 10 Tires. BFG A/T 285/75R16 was right at $900. The Coopers are coming in at a little over $600. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Cooper STTs.

The only thing that I am afriad about with the STTs is tread life. I know the BFGs would last me 60k miles easily. The STTs I keep reading reviews about how they only last 30,000 miles.

Damn, must have gone down. I checked several different sizes and Cooper types a year ago and they were all pricey back in Oregon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater