New trailer for build (M1101 USMC M85 camo)

TeamAnvil

Hello all,

Just bought a 2012 Shutt M1101 in woodland camo. The previous owner bought it at auction, hauled it locally, did all the paperwork, registered it with a permanent trailer plate and serviced the wheel hubs. It's in really good shape and probably not ever used, the original "owners manual" CD was attached inside the bed! He also has a M10X trailer and liked the extra length for his usage. He only used this trailer a few times so decided to sell. He kept the HUMVEE run flats which is good/bad but included four Dodge wheels with decent tires. The trailer is in really good shape, one dent in the bed floor and some scrape marks from when the guy at the depot moved it out with the forklift. I paid a similar price that most of them have sold at auction for in the last ~year since I've been looking and I didn't have to haul, register, etc. Sometimes I have more money then time ;-)

My best-laid plan is to create a camping/overland trailer with some equipment installed (water, electrical, rtt) but to mostly use the space for cargo. My 2014 Raptor has a very small bed and my planned chase rack makes it even smaller. I like being able to drop the trailer at base camp with all the gear in it and not have to constantly unload/load the truck bed. I plan to build my own rack to match the height and profile of the Raptor cab. Truck side boxes for storage or Gear Pods (if I hit my number this year). Researching a slider for the bed, possible kitchen but mostly for storage. If and when I get there, a family friend does boat covers and sails. I'd love to have a custom canvas cover made to help weatherproof it a bit, at least while its parked.

For our big trip last year I borrowed my sister-in-laws 1954 Gemco T1. It did well for the terrain we were in but was a little small. We were 18-24" over the bed sides with cargo straps everywhere. There are some great expedition trailers out there but they all seem geared towards camping or just cargo, like dirt bikes or quads/atv's. I hope to strike a balance somewhere in between. I also want to make it easier for the family to say "let's go camping this weekend" as my boys get older. Having this somewhat ready to go with most of my gear would be ideal.

I'll try and post my build pics here as things progress and I am sure I will have lots of questions so looking forward to hearing from members here with experience.

Attachments

• IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4196.jpeg
    IMG_4196.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3928 copy.png
    IMG_3928 copy.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 27

Forum statistics

Threads