New Trooper?

Just recently, at the parking lot in front of my store, I saw what looks to be a brand-new, plasticked-up Trooper (it says Trooper on the body somewhere, but it doesn't look like the last generation sold by Isuzu before they pulled dealership sales) and it's white. I say plasticked-up as a way to describe the ridiculous application of body cladding and plastic bumpers all around on recent models.

What is this vehicle? I don't see anything on Isuzu's web site about any vehicles currently sold in the US.

Stephanie

S

Squatchout

Around 2004 Isuzu borrowed huge bucks from GM who at that time was majority share holder in Isuzu. It's pretty much accepted that part of the deal was that Isuzu was required by GM to pull out of the light truck/SUV market in the US. No new Trooper models since then.

However Isuzu folks are known for badge swapping. Isuzu vehicles went by different names in different countries. In Europe and Rodeos are pick up trucks. Troopers are Jackaroo's in OZ and Monterey's in the UK. Confused yet?

I'm guessing it might have been either an Axiom. Which was Isuzu's new cross over before they pulled out. It is the only Isuzu Uni body suv. Based on the Rodeo drivetrain.
IMG_2236.JPG
[/quote]

Or possibly an Isuzu Vehicross also known as a VX. These are one of the rarest SUV's ever made. Somewhere between 5-6,000 total world wide. They are basically a 4x4 rally sports car made on a 2 door Trooper chassis with a lot of rally car mods. They were made between 1999-2002. The styling was so futuristic at the time that they still look very contemporary and many current SUV's have taken a lot of styling cues from the design. They have a good bit of body cladding. Many owners of these keep them in cherry condition. A lot of them do look brand new and I wouldn't be surprised to see that someone had swapped emblems to add to the confusion/fun.
IMG_4438.jpg

Both of these have been lifted and have bigger tires than stock but you get the idea. I borrowed these pics from friends over at PlanetIsuzu.

My only other idea would be a one off custom. Quite a few art cars and weird customs built on Troopers out there.

It was 4-door and clearly said Trooper on the back. Looked brand-new with body cladding typical of trucks made in the last three years. What you supplied looks nothing like that. I'll keep an eye out for it.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
From down South?

Since you are in Houston, did you see the plates?
I think the first Troopers sold in the US, 1986ish were Trooper IIs, I always wondered about that till I went to Haiti and saw the first gen Troopers....

Maybe you saw a Trooper IV? from Mexico or further south.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Since you are in Houston, did you see the plates?
I think the first Troopers sold in the US, 1986ish were Trooper IIs, I always wondered about that till I went to Haiti and saw the first gen Troopers....

Maybe you saw a Trooper IV? from Mexico or further south.

You could get a Trooper 1 in the US... Round headlights were the biggest distinguishing feature. I miss my old Trooper II.

Regarding the OP, the last gen (US) Trooper did have quite a bit of body cladding. Was the body basically like this, but with more ugly crap hanging off it?
779px-98-99_Isuzu_Trooper.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
You could get a Trooper 1 in the US... Round headlights were the biggest distinguishing feature. I miss my old Trooper II.

I remembered (maybe wrongly) that the Trooper Is I saw were different than the round headlight ones sold here... I seem to even think I saw a soft top version in Haiti, but that was a long time ago. I Googled it and came up blank, so I might be confused... but looking at the images, I think what I saw were the 1981-1983 SWB version. They look quite different.

I came SO close to buying one in the late 80s but went with the Dodge Raider version of the Montero instead.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!

I remembered (maybe wrongly) that the Trooper Is I saw were different than the round headlight ones sold here... I seem to even think I saw a soft top version in Haiti, but that was a long time ago. I Googled it and came up blank, so I might be confused... but looking at the images, I think what I saw were the 1981-1983 SWB version. They look quite different.

I came SO close to buying one in the late 80s but went with the Dodge Raider version of the Montero instead.

Jay - after sleeping on it, you may actually be right. Wikipedia has a picture of a roundlight Trooper 2. I just remember that we nicknamed mine "the washing machine"
trooper.jpg

Well, I don't know, but it did have a lot of plastic cladding hanging off it, and the chromed "Trooper" badge was perfect, looking like it came off the lot within the last 5 months. I didn't get to see anything else but the rear of the vehicle and a "from 4:30 view" of the right side of it. It very well could have been a very-well-kept last gen trooper. I just didn't expect to see one like that that strayed so far from the original angular, boxy look.

S

Squatchout

I'll clarify: Only 2 generations of Troopers based on body style.
1st gen '84-'86 had round headlights, 10 bolt rear,8bolt front 2.3 carbed engine.
'87 transition year drivetrain wise. '88-'91 had 2.6 4cyl or '89 on optional 2.8 GM v6. 12 bolt rear 10 bolt front 4 wheel disc brake and square headlights, 15" wheels. Auto were aisen transmissions.

2nd gen was '93-'04 various v6s,12 bolt rear, 10 bolt front.

Some consider '98 on gen 3 but it is still same body. Technically still 2nd gen. There was some suspension widening because of the consumer reports fiasco. 12 bolt modified made by DANA corp rear, 10 bolt front. most 2nd gens had 16" wheels. Autos were GM made.

Trooper II is exactly the same as Trooper. It was mainly 1st gen but some 2nd gen Trooper II's as well. It was an import tariff dodge. In Trooper II the rear seat was installed stateside by the dealers. This got it past some import tariffs. Identical trucks. Trooper II has nothing to due with styling or model year. Lot's of package variations for short runs but these basics pretty much cover the differences.

It may be that what was seen was something Isuzu is working on for the overseas market and somebody got one sent here. I doubt it but possible. Isuzu no longer sells light trucks in the US and I doubt they will again.

Edit to add. Yes there were some oddballs. 2 door RS models were made in both 1st and 2nd gen. 1st gen RS is highly collectible and came with lower gears and 31x10.50 tires 2.6 4cyl "89 model year only. This was offered overseas with a soft top and diesel engines. Very rare even there. I believe 2nd gen RS was '93 model year only.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate Christmas and Happy holidays to our friends who celebrate other holidays. May you enjoy time with your families. Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Last edited:

MarlinVX

Observer
Wow, lots of Isuzu trivia in this thread, mostly correct, but not perfect:)

The Vehicross, commonly referred to as a VX, was made from 99-01, about 4200 total made. This was a planned limited run as all the panel molds were ceramic, with an expected short life expectancy. They were incredibly expensive, at 30kish for a new one and they are all the same. Only options were a roof rack and a dealer installed sunroof/moonroof. The Ironman model is the same as the others, just added some stickers and embroidering. They came stock with Recaro leather seats, the same exact seats that are found in many top end cars today, the Audi S4 comes to mind.

As for the RS, there were about 800 in 89 imported to the US, and several hundred more from 93-95. The total was somewhere in the 1500s.

I happen to have one of each. I have an 01 VX, and pound for pound, buck for buck, I can eat just about any street legal offroad vehicle on the trail. I bought my wife an 93 RS back in the fall. They both are amazing little zombie revolution vehicles. I installed front lockers in both trucks, adjustable suspensions and countless other mods. The VX has 4.30 gears, the RS has 4.56s. The VX has a 2.5:1 crawl gear, the RS a 2.2:1. We love our little trucks, and with 28" of rear suspension travel at stock setup, there isn't a whole lot they can't do!!

I don't know of any new trooper, it also could have been an Acura SLX. Isuzu and Honda got together and Acura, true to form, released a plasticked out fully loaded version of the Trooper.

IMGP1616.JPG

I just had to touch the rock, it was just a few inches away from the window, and at the offcamber, it looks like its coming into the seat with you:Wow1: The Forest Rangers have since blocked that line due to roll overs and broken windows...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcOISBTO06s"]YouTube - rocky mount vx.MOV[/ame]

This was my wife's first trip out driving her new truck...she did alright!! This is the "black diamond" trail are Uwharrie National forest and I made her run it for her first trail...lol. Three other truck lost windows on this trail, she got away with only a busted door handle and some pinstriping from a mud bank!!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLUBXLzSYw"]YouTube - HALLOwharrie 2010 -- Courtney on 1st Ledge of Daniel[/ame]

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
They came stock with Recaro leather seats, the same exact seats that are found in many top end cars today, the Audi S4 comes to mind.

Great info and love the videos, but the Recaros in the VX are NOT the same as those in my S4 which are not the same as those in the current S4, nor the same as those in the Mazda3. That's akin to saying "they have Bridgestone tires" - Isuzu had Recaro build them, but Recaro builds a full line of seats and some are more comfortable than others.

My favorite Recaro seat:
jp_recaro_babyseat1.jpg

EDIT - yah, total nitpick. Comes from years of having people refer to the seats in e28 BMW's as Recaros even though they're knockoffs.

MarlinVX

Observer
Great info and love the videos, but the Recaros in the VX are NOT the same as those in my S4 which are not the same as those in the current S4, nor the same as those in the Mazda3. That's akin to saying "they have Bridgestone tires" - Isuzu had Recaro build them, but Recaro builds a full line of seats and some are more comfortable than others.

My favorite Recaro seat:
jp_recaro_babyseat1.jpg

EDIT - yah, total nitpick. Comes from years of having people refer to the seats in e28 BMW's as Recaros even though they're knockoffs.

I understand what you are saying, but one of my coworkers has an S4, 06 or 07, I can't remember, and his seats are the same as mine, except his say Audi on the upper seat and the bolster goes up the side of the head rest and mine are embossed Vehicross and the bolster does not go over the side of the headrest. We have the same slide out tray/leg extension and everything. I give him a hard time when we take turns driving to lunch, my moonrover, as they like to call it, has fancy seats like his 50K audi...lol He always reminds me that he has a power seat track, and that mine is manual. The replacement cost in mine is around 3500 a seat...:Wow1:. Like anyone would pay that.

I like my kid's race trim seats:
images

VX seats:
FrontSeats.jpg

Audi S4 seats:
front_seats.jpg

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I understand what you are saying, but one of my coworkers has an S4, 06 or 07, I can't remember, and his seats are the same as mine, except his say Audi on the upper seat and the bolster goes up the side of the head rest and mine are embossed Vehicross and the bolster does not go over the side of the headrest. We have the same slide out tray/leg extension and everything. I give him a hard time when we take turns driving to lunch, my moonrover, as they like to call it, has fancy seats like his 50K audi...lol He always reminds me that he has a power seat track, and that mine is manual. The replacement cost in mine is around 3500 a seat...:Wow1:. Like anyone would pay that.

I like my kid's race trim seats:
images

VX seats:
FrontSeats.jpg

Audi S4 seats:
front_seats.jpg

I see different headrests and side bolsters :elkgrin:

Just messing with'ya... If I could get over the fact that the front of the VX looks like a vampire, I might own one. Looks like you've had some fun with yours, too.

MarlinVX

Observer
28" of rear travel? Did you mean to say that?

ooops, 18" of wheel travel, I pulled that from the Isuzu forum.
Here is the rear at full extension
IMGP0223.jpg

IMG_1014-1.jpg

This is the closest pic I have at full compression, not quite, the other tire is still on the ground.
IMGP1723.JPG

Maybe I am figuring this wrong, I am just going from full compression to full extension. I know the front only has about 10inches of travel, 5 up and 5 down pending torsion bar adjustments, ball joint flips, and bump stop shaving or replacement and diff drop.(which I have done)

Front: Upper and lower wishbones, torsion bars,
stabilizer bar
Rear: The rear is comprised of a 4-link suspension using coil springs with a .75" stabilizer bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater